Having issues booting up Modding Kit [RGL Content Warning]

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello guys!

I want to prefix this by saying I am new to modding and am only really getting into it to create mods I want to play. I havent really modded games before other than editing existing files and have zero experience in coding. I apologize in advanced if my inquiries appear amateurish and uneducated, but am willing to learn :smile: I am also unable to upload images as my account is fresh, so I hope I am successfully detailed in the errors I am getting and am able to convey what I am seeing.

I am having issues with booting up the Modding Kit and am getting an RGL CONTENT WARNING window with the contents of "Meta mesh with name elf_gate2 cannot be found" with my only option being an OK button. I have never modded before, but if I had to guess, I have installed the World of Warcraft mod previously in the past to play but its been long uninstalled from my computer. Could be a file left behind, but I would have no way to access it as I dont know how to get to it, which moves me to my next issue.

Upon hitting the OK button a couple of times and not to ignore the issue, etc, a new window pops up titles ASSERT with the contents of "Assertion Failed! C:\Develop\MB3\Source\Engine\Rgl\rgEntity_reader_writer.cpp:638 Expression:entity_->original_meta_mesh_pointers_prefabs_ !=nullptr" I've tried to see if this is where the potential left over file is at, but typing in that location address yields me nothing as the path does not exist.

I would really like to get into modding Bannerlord, but I am faced with a hurdle I cannot hop over. Hoping someone may know what might be going on so I can continue this journey. Thank you for your time reading this!

elf-gate2 definitely sounds like a remnant of a mod. If verifying local files on steam doesn't fix the issue, you could either try a bug report on the forums (expect an extremely long wait for any response) or you could try reinstalling Bannerlord and its Tools to overwrite any corruption (I'd only do this if you are getting crashes).
Unfortunately, Taleworlds added these debug asserts with the intention of warning modders of problems, but they generally spam reports that interfere with access to the tools. Most can be dismissed and ignored, but remain irritating.

Upvote 0
elf-gate2 definitely sounds like a remnant of a mod. If verifying local files on steam doesn't fix the issue, you could either try a bug report on the forums (expect an extremely long wait for any response) or you could try reinstalling Bannerlord and its Tools to overwrite any corruption (I'd only do this if you are getting crashes).
Unfortunately, Taleworlds added these debug asserts with the intention of warning modders of problems, but they generally spam reports that interfere with access to the tools. Most can be dismissed and ignored, but remain irritating.
How lovely lol. Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunately, I did try to attempt to verify both the game and the tools and am still being prompt with this issue. However, with your confirmation, I went back to the Warcraft Reborn mod page to investigate and low and behold, I think I found the issue. The mod requires you to overwrite files in the Sandbox and Native module folders. Ill back up my files just in case, but will delete all files that have been overwritten then attempt a game verification. Will get back to you when I'm done and document a reply just in case anybody else is unfortunate enough to run into my same issue in the future. Thank you once again!

Edit: I forgot to ask, however, in a little bit of an off topic question, when modding, do I need to unselect all other modules that arent native? I am wanting to get into map modding, specifically creating my own Bannerlord conversion maps that only edit the terrain and settlement locations (planning to create a couple in the future so players have a choice on their own Bannerlord Sandbox map as I find the selection of only custom map mods quite lacking), so I dont know if its necessary for me to have to deselect modules for modding then reselect modules for playing the game.

Upvote 0
That did it! Thank you!

Upvote 0
Edit: I forgot to ask, however, in a little bit of an off topic question, when modding, do I need to unselect all other modules that arent native? I am wanting to get into map modding, specifically creating my own Bannerlord conversion maps that only edit the terrain and settlement locations (planning to create a couple in the future so players have a choice on their own Bannerlord Sandbox map as I find the selection of only custom map mods quite lacking), so I dont know if its necessary for me to have to deselect modules for modding then reselect modules for playing the game.
Best IMO to uncheck mods in the launcher when editing unless you're editing them also. However, to mod you'll need to create a mod to work in (use the create a mod option in the editor) and once created you'll need to reload the editor with that mod checked in the launcher to let you add assets to it etc. Bear in mind on editing terrain that Taleworlds have only published SceneEditData (that allows you to edit terrain) for a limited number of example scenes (for others you'd need to uses a heightmap extractor to recreate terrain). Also, the terrain for Calradia's campaign map comes from a Houdini tileset, which you can't edit, so, you need to disable this, which can cause crashes on recent game versions, requiring some awkward work arounds.

Upvote 0
Best IMO to uncheck mods in the launcher when editing unless you're editing them also. However, to mod you'll need to create a mod to work in (use the create a mod option in the editor) and once created you'll need to reload the editor with that mod checked in the launcher to let you add assets to it etc. Bear in mind on editing terrain that Taleworlds have only published SceneEditData (that allows you to edit terrain) for a limited number of example scenes (for others you'd need to uses a heightmap extractor to recreate terrain). Also, the terrain for Calradia's campaign map comes from a Houdini tileset, which you can't edit, so, you need to disable this, which can cause crashes on recent game versions, requiring some awkward work arounds.
I appreciate the advice and will be keeping that in mind as I move forward. Thank you so much! Cheers!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom