Have we talked about athletics?

Users who are viewing this thread

My character is just at 100+ athletics or something. I've been picking perks that give speed bonuses. I can run people down like nothing else, when the enemy retreats I chase them all down on foot with heavy armor. my character is so fast it's crazy. I still have 150 or so more points in athletics I could get too.

Despite it being very fun, I figure this is something that will be tweaked in the future?

Yeah, I'm currently doing a playthrough where I'm playing primarily on foot for the first time. I'm increasing in speed worryingly quickly. I'm at 70-ish and can already move incredibly fast. The increase in speed should probably have diminishing returns the higher the level. I.e. the difference between 1 and 50 might be huge, but 200 and 250 not that much.

Definitely should increase the xp required to obtain the higher levels,
No, thank you, the athletics progress is already slow enough in comparison to riding. I'd rather slightly decrease the speed bonus it gives, since on the level 70 and more your character feels and looks like Flash rather than an early medieval general.

Instead of making Athletics levels harder to get, I would prefer to nerf the movement speed bonus per level, but this won’t probably happen due to Multiplayer.

I also find that characters with athletics skill at 100 or so are pretty damn fast.

Isn't there like a soft cap on max speed at around 150 athletics?
Which is still pretty fast, but at least you won't get to a superman speed level.

It's uberfun having athletics that high and roaming the battlefield with a 2hand axe slaying at will and dodging blows, but it honestly does get a little bit ridiculous and overpowered.

I personally would make it much slower to increase this skill. And for the sake of reference, any agent, hero or bot, should never run more than a 100m sprinter who is last in the race.. As funny as the video may be (which it is), the "speedy gonzalez" effect must be drastically reduced, IMO.

I still have 150 or so more points in athletics I could get too.
You'll die of old age before you get to 200 :razz: once you're past the low 100s and level 20 plus killing an entire garrison solo will barely get you a point.

Definitely should increase the xp required to obtain the higher levels, as it can seem broken going too high.
Oh don't worry TW has got this one covered.....

I would rather stagger the speed bonus out but make it level much faster at higher levels a s it's a miserably slow skill compared to riding, the fastest skill, due to weird formulas. I don't know how it can be really broken though unless you're faster the horses and even then, you're still probably more vulnerable the a mounted player.

Definitely should increase the xp required to obtain the higher levels, as it can seem broken going too high.
It definitely shouldn't. Hindering athletics progression would also hinder access to athletics perks. They could add more diminishing returns to speed and/or change speed scaling if they don't want the player to be super fast, but we have to consider we have to drop points in both athletics, agility and get relevant perks to get high speed, not to mention the skill progression is quite slow.

Btw, athletics progression tip: poking high speed cavalrymen with spears while on foot provides huge amount of athletics xp. It's not really abusable, since it's situational, but anyone willing to lvl athletics should do it when possible :smile:

My current character is a slug on foot. She wears heavy armour and dies if dismounted. It really is like running through water. I should get on a treadmill.

I hope TW never does this because what you're suggesting a simple fix for a bigger issue. Athletics is already extremely difficult to level as is and we don't need more grind in this game. What TW should do is make everyone have the same max speed but the heavier the armor the more it slows you down. But high levels of athletics should offset this.

I dont like that some skills need so much exp for the high levels, especially if you level a higher variety of skills and everything starts to get slower.
At some point it just feels like as if you will never reach the last perks. The fast running in athletics is no problem for myself as I even quite enjoy it, but I wouldnt mind if they tone it down a little and in exchange make it easier to level. I am not sure if this fits in here, but I also feel like this issue comes from not having a sprint ability at all (which was kinda strange for me at the beginning, not sure if it was the same in warband never played it).

If athletics leveled leaps and bounds faster then everything else (like archery) then I agree with slowing it down, but it does not.

The issue is clearly that it produces an unbalanced and unpleasant affect, and that’s what needs to be adjusted.

I'll just copy-paste my opinion about how athletics should work and increase running speed from another thread :

[...] they could do it in steps.
Like 0,07 % for the first 100 points (for a total of +7 % at 100), then 0,05 % for the next 100 point (so a total of +12 % at 200) and then 0,03 % for the 100 last points (total of +15 % at 300).
That would make Athletics always helping with speed, without making characters bullets.

My character is just at 100+ athletics or something. I've been picking perks that give speed bonuses. I can run people down like nothing else, when the enemy retreats I chase them all down on foot with heavy armor. my character is so fast it's crazy. I still have 150 or so more points in athletics I could get too.

Despite it being very fun, I figure this is something that will be tweaked in the future?
What armor are you wearing? The more weight the slower you are, and even at 100+ athletics, in my full scale armor I'm still incredibly slow compared to other lords. I go into a tourny battle and facing against the AI lords I'm like "holy **** they're fast"

Back
Top Bottom