Have we Reached the Point of Passive Acceptance and Disappointed Resignation with Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

The fact that the map editor is basically unchanged since it was first shown in 2014 should suggest that the engine is mostly the same code.
If that were true, scenes would be backwardly compatible, which they are not. Load a say 1.6.4/1.6.5 scene in the 1.6.0 editor and it will destroy that scene's SceneEditData terrain_ed.bin file, loading the scene without terrain. 1.6.5 also finally fixed massive and persistent memory leaks when editing terrain, which caused frequent CTDs.
Any custom worldmap loaded into 1.6.5 needs an active campaign icon capsule system, implementing recent C++ engine scripts Town Entity Manager and Town Scene Manager.
The small engine team has been heavily engaged in adding hardcoded optimisations to improve performance on Calradia's Main_map, which add hurdles to full conversion custom worldmaps.

Last edited:
Personally I haven't tried singleplayer since like 1.5.3 and just updated it a couple of days ago to 1.6.4. All I can say that it feels like an entirely different game. I am keeping the game in vanilla for now and it is just great. Not perfect, but great.

I mean, how many players actually played warband singleplayer without any mods? Vanilla warband feels like a demo project compared to Bannerlord, even in this stage.

I say keep it up.

(However I am sad for the multiplayer as I put thousands of hours to competitive multiplayer, for now I just completely avoid it in Bannerlord...)
Yeah, the 1.6 upgrades were better. I went from 1.5.4 to 1.6.1 and it already felt like a more complete experience.

Warband singleplayer without mods *or even with for that matter* was way worse than BL is in right now. Complaining about AI and ladders in BL sieges is fun but have you seen them in WB? "AI" there is vaguely aware of the ladders existence and is seemingly being led there blindfolded by a guy who's not even on the battlefield but reading directions from a wet napkin.

The things that made BL feel shallow compared to WB (missing dialogue, empty taverns, no personalities) is slowly but steady getting fixed. Dialogues better (not good, better), taverns are now filled and feel "alive" and companions are slowly showing more characteristics.

But sheesh, is it a cumbersome proces to get things /almost/ right. Endless balancing on things that will be changed next update, needless updating on features that are not asked for or wanted while completely discarding the features that are wanted and asked for. Sometimes, just sometimes, they accidently put in a good feature. But. Every. Day. Just. Seems. To. Be. A. Struggle. at TaleWorlds headquarters.
So its taking a really, really, really loooong time to get where we want to be. And not only the devs, but also the players seem burned out (hence this thread).

I pop back every now and then but I am resigned that it won't be something I'll enjoy. My main issue is that for me the moment to moment combat and the way armies clash just feels off, something wrong with it how they all turn into a mass jelly pile that looks and feels unfun to play. So no matter what they add to the game or world the main gameplay is not fun imho which breaks it.

I won't even get into multiplayer, I am just shocked at how bullheaded they are charging ahead with the game formats and server state that they have. So damn clueless it's like the person that is designing it never played warband or any of the mods, didn't once look at the popular gameplay modes that have succeeded in warband and build on them. Nope right into wishing they were some 1 mil concurrent player game with ladders and matchmaking and a pro scene. All the matchmaker does is drive off players because who wants to wait around for 20 minutes for an unfun game mode anyway? Skirmish is a disaster that needed to burn and every time I see patch notes adjusting some class or that class's loadout when the fundamental game and combat under it is broken was just one more reinforcement that this game has no chance.

I´ve shown you that your argument is invalid in the same post. But fanboys gonna fanboy I guess.
It's not your human right to be entertained. This is like when GoT season 8 released and people signed petitions for it to be remade. The game is what it is, it's not exactly what we all hoped for, but it's still fun. If you don't like it don't play it.

I know you're only writing this because you care, but remember that real people are effected by these comments, developers read this, for you to say their work is a waste, or wrong and not what you in particular wanted is only demoralising for them. What do you think they released an unfinished buggy game intentionally? And if they did that was the developers decision? Ofc they didn't.

The more negetive we are constantly on this forum (and I've been one of them before) the less we deserve and will get. If you're a developer and reading these comments, why would you want to strive to get content out for such a bunch of ungrateful crying toddlers? (I'm not calling you an ungrateful crying toddler BTW, just referring broadly to some of the more... colourful members of this forum)

I don´t think the outcome of the game depends on this forums mood. Otherwise we wouldn´t be here as we are. Remember the days after the release, there was much praise for TW. Didn´t change anything.

I pop back every now and then but I am resigned that it won't be something I'll enjoy. My main issue is that for me the moment to moment combat and the way armies clash just feels off, something wrong with it how they all turn into a mass jelly pile that looks and feels unfun to play. So no matter what they add to the game or world the main gameplay is not fun imho which breaks it.

I won't even get into multiplayer, I am just shocked at how bullheaded they are charging ahead with the game formats and server state that they have. So damn clueless it's like the person that is designing it never played warband or any of the mods, didn't once look at the popular gameplay modes that have succeeded in warband and build on them. Nope right into wishing they were some 1 mil concurrent player game with ladders and matchmaking and a pro scene. All the matchmaker does is drive off players because who wants to wait around for 20 minutes for an unfun game mode anyway? Skirmish is a disaster that needed to burn and every time I see patch notes adjusting some class or that class's loadout when the fundamental game and combat under it is broken was just one more reinforcement that this game has no chance.
I feel you...
giphy.gif

why would you want to strive to get content out for such a bunch of ungrateful crying toddlers?
I think it goes without saying who the ingrates are when the community - who hyped up their game over the course of a decade (which played not an inconsiderable part in its high sales number) - had their opinions discarded when the developers found catering to the subspecies of human I will simply name "casuals" folds more profitable. Bloody long sentence, but I'm sure your divine intelligence will prove fit to dissecting it.
I know you're only writing this because you care, but remember that real people are effected by these comments, developers read this, for you to say their work is a waste, or wrong and not what you in particular wanted is only demoralising for them.
I would acknowledge the soundness of this advice, were it written in the first months of [EA] release, or even a year if we're being generous and that's if you didn't take part in or witness the previous testing stages; but with all the constant positive feedback, suggestions and well-reasoned, level-headed criticism having next to no influence on the development or their communication with the community, I would like to hear what else you come up with as an alternative to what you consider ungrateful whinging. And blindly praising failworlds has been tried before unfortunately, so that's crossed out.
What do you think they released an unfinished buggy game intentionally?
I can't speak on what the OP was referring to, but this game's issues in development goes way, way deeper than bugs. They're fun to pick on, sure, but it's not what broke the spirit of hope in here. Sounding a tad dramatic there but you know what I mean.
The more negetive we are constantly on this forum (...) the less we deserve

I think it goes without saying who the ingrates are when the community - who hyped up their game over the course of a decade (which played not an inconsiderable part in its high sales number) - had their opinions discarded when the developers found catering to the subspecies of human I will simply name "casuals" folds more profitable. Bloody long sentence, but I'm sure your divine intelligence will prove fit to dissecting it.

I would acknowledge the soundness of this advice, were it written in the first months of [EA] release, or even a year if we're being generous and that's if you didn't take part in or witness the previous testing stages; but with all the constant positive feedback, suggestions and well-reasoned, level-headed criticism having next to no influence on the development or their communication with the community, I would like to hear what else you come up with as an alternative to what you consider ungrateful whinging. And blindly praising failworlds has been tried before unfortunately, so that's crossed out.

I can't speak on what the OP was referring to, but this game's issues in development goes way, way deeper than bugs. They're fun to pick on, sure, but it's not what broke the spirit of hope in here. Sounding a tad dramatic there but you know what I mean.

I'm not even going to try and discect what led you to such an aggressive response in which you refer to people who play games and also have a life as "subspecies of human" (also ofc they're gonna try and appeal to a larger audience how else would they make money the og fan base was too small).

But seriously man, go outside once in a while. It s a f*****g video game.

I'm not even going to try and discect what led you to such an aggressive response in which you refer to people who play games and also have a life as "subspecies of human"
It's a witticism, you dingus. Also do you know what a subspecies is?
Subspecies, on the other hand, are subgroups within a species that have different traits
In biological classification, the term subspecies refers to one of two or more populations of a species living in different subdivisions of the species' range
(also ofc they're gonna try and appeal to a larger audience how else would they make money the og fan base was too small)
They could also not do the bare minimum to attract them to purchase while not doing anything to satisfy the "og fan base". Both should be possible is what I'm saying.
But seriously man, go outside once in a while. It s a f*****g video game.
Whatever the **** you were aiming for when you wrote this.

I feel offended by that!
Got to hand it to you MostBlunted. I always see you in the forum commenting. No one can say you hate this game, only a person who actually likes this game would be this committed. Or is TW paying you to comment? I want in on your gig. jk mate.

I don't know. Three things for sure though:
1- nearly 10M copies sold for Warband,
2- at the release of EA, steam shut down,
3- BL stayed top 10 for a week at twitch.
These happened due to hype TW created and og fanbase. If TW stayed true to og fanbase, they would have sold as same as now if not more.

I dunno. I was never interested in Warband. I preferred Total War games.

Bannerlord offered an obvious step up from Warband for non-OG fans. Which is probably why it sold so well widely outside the OG fanbase. I've gone back and tried to like Warband. But I can't. It's just too small and too dependent on mods that I just can't be bothered going through to make it work well. Out of the box, Bannerlord is objectively a better game, and will only get even better once all you complainers get your mod hats on and expand it further.

As an OG fan myself I will say that Bannerlord is better than Warband. It allows much more stuff than Warband. People are pissed because many of Bannerlord features are shallow, but those can be fixed with mods, just like how mods made Warband great. Remember, spears were absolutely worthless in native Warband, and Warband only allowed one module running at a time. That means if that shiny mod doesn't have that one feature that another mod you like has, you're screwed.

I say give Bannerlord time. It will come around.

Agree with Grank.
I am also a huge Warband OG and say that Bannerlord is still better than Warband in its current state.
Without the mods, Warband would be fun for one playthrough but then become absolutely boring. Same few ways to grind your way up over and over again.

I also think that Warband was a huge success, because the game itself was unique with the combat system. I think most people remember Warband to be such a great game, because there was no similar game that offered huge battles with a proper medieval combat system. You can enjoy these battles forever, but let's be honest, it was really boring from an RPG perspective.

Bannerlord is way more complex and colorful in every aspect compared to Warband. Both in combat and RPG elements. Sure, development takes more than a decade, pace is slow, bugs are unlimited - but what can we do? Wait and remain an OG.

(However, multiplayer is absolutely ruined compared to Warband)

Back
Top Bottom