Has the Dev team ever played M&B or Warband mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

I find it baffling. Mount and Blade was a fan favourite right from the beginning. A hero thrust into the middle of a giant civil war where their decisions mattered so much (once they got strong, which was a fun adventure in itself).

So, what happened? Armagan built a game that was down right adequate, and then modders added things that made the game 10X better. I remember the thrill of playing native, then I remember the 10X thrill of playing mods. And then Warband came out, and I enjoyed it, but missed the mods. And then the mods came out. But then I got into cRpg mod, probably the most unforgiving mod out there. As a noob I got rect, but as an adult I built an empire... which got fuct over by Eus, but whatever.

But I played cRpg mod exclusively. Native sucked for me since I could kill left and right of me with no worries, but then I'd run into a guy who could block! Then I was fuct! I'd actually have to put my pizza pocket down and fight! Totally threw me off.

But mods like cRpg with strat allowed mediocre players like me to run empires. We can't all be heroes, but we can enlist heroes. And, as I used to tell my noob friends, let the heroes make the calls. While us pathetic players rely on strategy, the 'heroes' know the game and figure out the tactics. And you know what? The pride you fell in owning fiefs is the same pride they feel in winning a battle.

All they want is good gear. And if they can't get that, they want good strategy (like our bad KD better be worth it). And most of all, they want a leader who believes in them (remember, no one really dies so that's an easy one). I fought many Strat battles, and I swear upon my honour (lol to all you who know me), but morale is what won battles.

Retarded 6 vs 6 battles are meaningless. Well, until some clan's git gud, and they want to show off. Quite frankly the regular soldier does not care. I WAS the regular soldier. I turtled, cuz I knew better players were surrounding me. And I inspired a lot of useless players to turtle. They hated it, but it was effective.

But you know, I, as well as many other, downplay my wins. The rule to winning in any internet game is to be the buffoon. No one wants to be used, but they'll be willing to join a group led by a guy whose main problem is having his beer can pyramid fall down. Of course that doesn't work for too long. And then you find your self as just a figure head in a coalition empire that you did nothing to form, but are bullied to join because everyone wants a neutral Emperor. And then you spend all the time in the desert trying to raise men and arms while your ... vassals?... cover themselves in glory.

BUT! While yes, they fought off the hordes of EU men and gear (bloody EU just sat and collected their wealth while NA fought over every village) I wanted to counter attack. Of course I was just a figure head, and all my personal merc armies capitulated cuz that's what Surrender Monkeys do (Yeah, i know that's what mercs do).

BUT!
But yeah. Skirmish is a CS:GO wannabe. The real drama is when you want to control the map. And seriously, the best fight I ever had was against the Wardens of the North. We could have crushed them by sheer numbers, but I thought it was more fun to play it out. And seriously, no regrets. With their limited resources every battle was a challenge. I have never had so much respect for gamers until I saw what they did (until they sold our to the Euros).

You see, I went on and on cuz I'm kinda drunk.

BUT this game will never be CS:GO

It will be Game of Thrones, It will be Kingom Of Heaven. Honestly, the drama and the excitement as a game will never reach the excitement until there are fiefs on the line. The combat is awesome (well, once you admit the class system is crap), and the story is good. Once we get our cRpg map, we'll continue the legends that people already talk about being in the glory days*.

*Imagine being 15 when this game came out? You would essentially start off as a squire, then fight your way to being a hero in your twenties. Or you could have realized you don't have the skillz! Then you would have either been a trader or a leader. But no matter what, you knew you were doing good for the realm!

Then the game died. **** your fantasies *******!

They have, but that doesn't mean they have the means to implement similar ideas. Not sure what happened here? It will be months before mods make this a game worth playing.

I do think they want the modders to improve the base game and then add that as future content.
Only sense I can make of all their only bug and crash fixes, trying to make it more stable.

Its quite similiar to bethesda and alittle like a paradox release, however paradox add really good and community wanted content regularly in their patches.

lol....no i love when the whole feelings are being in there as it should because you then know how the thought process of that point are being made of which is healthy. Ive asked myself the same question if they ever play this game

Last edited:
There are lots of little clues in the game and ui design that suggest to me that the devs really haven't spent a lot of time playing warband.

For example:
  • Map movement. Years of warband muscle memory had ingrained CTRL-SPACE fast travel but that was removed and changed to number keys and double clicks. I actually like the new map movement, but why remove the old one that players are used to? My first impression upon starting the game was "why the **** can't I move?!"
  • Inventory Screen. Its always been SHIFT to move 10 items, CTRL to move all. For some reason they changed it to SHIFT = 5 items, and CTRL did nothing until they later changed it at the players' request.
  • Interacting with locations: in Warband, to enter a town or village, you always had to click on the nameplate. Clicking the actual town model did nothing. Now, for no reason, its reversed. Clicking the nameplate just centers your view and you have to click on the model, which is often camouflaged into the side of a hill and hard to get at behind the nameplate.
  • Party Icons on the map: Always showed troop number + prisoners. Now it only shows total healthy troops.
There are many other small things like these and they're just minor annoyances for the most part. But they're mistakes that someone who played a lot of Warband wouldn't make.

There are lots of little clues in the game and ui design that suggest to me that the devs really haven't spent a lot of time playing warband.

For example:
  • Map movement. Years of warband muscle memory had ingrained CTRL-SPACE fast travel but that was removed and changed to number keys and double clicks. I actually like the new map movement, but why remove the old one that players are used to? My first impression upon starting the game was "why the **** can't I move?!"
  • Inventory Screen. Its always been SHIFT to move 10 items, CTRL to move all. For some reason they changed it to SHIFT = 5 items, and CTRL did nothing until they later changed it at the players' request.
  • Interacting with locations: in Warband, to enter a town or village, you always had to click on the nameplate. Clicking the actual town model did nothing. Now, for no reason, its reversed. Clicking the nameplate just centers your view and you have to click on the model, which is often camouflaged into the side of a hill and hard to get at behind the nameplate.
  • Party Icons on the map: Always showed troop number + prisoners. Now it only shows total healthy troops.
There are many other small things like these and they're just minor annoyances for the most part. But they're mistakes that someone who played a lot of Warband wouldn't make.
I gotta say most of these things kinda threw me off the first time i played but i guess thats more of my force of habit from playing too much WB

I forgot the biggest one: Sargot being in the wrong place! How on earth did they not catch that? How did they not realize that the first thing most old players would do is try to line up the new map with the old one?

I forgot the biggest one: Sargot being in the wrong place! How on earth did they not catch that? How did they not realize that the first thing most old players would do is try to line up the new map with the old one?
Oh now that is unacceptable and grinds my ****ing gears everytime i see it i get really ****ing triggered like what is that why is it named sargot did the nords go there and change its name because they wanted to use it or what

For example:
Yea I remember noticing some of these things when I first started playing BL, but it was not difficult to make an adjustment for it. I think overall BL doesn't need to work exactly the same as WB.

That was a real WTF :lol:. I heard that the devs who are dealing with the campaign map are aware of that mistake; however it is still beyond my understanding why it has not been corrected yet.

Yea I remember noticing some of these things when I first started playing BL, but it was not difficult to make an adjustment for it. I think overall BL doesn't need to work exactly the same as WB.
I think when you're fundamentally changing so many aspects of the game like BL does, its a good idea to try and maintain as much continuity as possible wherever you can so that you're not overwhelming the player with a completely different thing. I get that many things had to change to make the new systems possible, but those things that didn't need to change should have stayed the same just to give long time players a sense of familiarity.

But the point isn't whether the changes are good or bad. Its more that if the devs were more familiar with Warband, they wouldn't have changed these sorts of things in the first place. They'd have just known by instinct that shift moves 10 items or that Sargot belongs on the northern coast.

But when's the last time you think Armagan or the other devs had a serious Warband playthrough? I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't touched it since they started working on Bannerlord. I sometimes think that the best thing the devs could do for Bannerlord right now would be to put off development entirely for a couple of weeks and make the whole team spend that time just replaying Warband and its best mods. Maybe they could rediscover what made so many players fall in love with that game in the first place

Last edited:
That was a real WTF :lol:. I heard that the devs who are dealing with the campaign map are aware of that mistake; however it is still beyond my understanding why it has not been corrected yet.
Well the earth moves in mysterious ways duh and everything isnt exact in the same place as before but it resembles a little bit :wink: but yeah if were still nit picky then the equipment shouldn't be close to the same era to but way in between

Last edited:
It's quite possible that none of the new hires for Bannerlord played Warband at all. And the old hands didn't play Warband mods (with few known exceptions) or Warband - when you have playtested your own game enough time, you kind of begin to hate it, as you associate it with work, not fun.
This explains the bare bones design of Bannerlord and the lessons not learned from Warband and its mods. They should have had a senior modder (or simply a veteran player) involved at an early design stage. Now Duh is there, but it's too late to re-design stuff and they simply push towards completion, egged on by a lynching mob of unhappy paying customers. SAD.

What qualifies as "a lot of time"?

But when's the last time you think Armagan or the other devs had a serious Warband playthrough? I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't touched it since they started working on Bannerlord.

I'd be surprised if it was at any time past the start point of Warband's development. They'd literally be staring work in the face during their free time. Who does that?

(Not me.)

What qualifies as "a lot of time"?
I don't know. Enough time to be really familiar with all the ins and outs of the game, I guess. I would think that the first step in the process of making a sequel would be to sit down and really play the **** out the previous game and try to analyze all of its strengths and weaknesses with somewhat fresh eyes. Maybe they did that before starting BL, but that was so long ago that they probably forgot everything about it.

I'd be surprised if it was at any time past the start point of Warband's development. They'd literally be staring work in the face during their free time. Who does that?

(Not me.)
Maybe they should. It wouldn't hurt for them to revisit Warband from time to time to refresh themselves on why that game was so beloved in the first place. I feel like they've gotten away from that.

It's quite possible that none of the new hires for Bannerlord played Warband at all. And the old hands didn't play Warband mods (with few known exceptions) or Warband - when you have playtested your own game enough time, you kind of begin to hate it, as you associate it with work, not fun.
This explains the bare bones design of Bannerlord and the lessons not learned from Warband and its mods. They should have had a senior modder (or simply a veteran player) involved at an early design stage. Now Duh is there, but it's too late to re-design stuff and they simply push towards completion, egged on by a lynching mob of unhappy paying customers. SAD.

Like they had an intention of doing more than what the game currently is?

End the EA. Release the game and mod tools and let the skilled modders make the game memorable. TWs has absolutely no vision or desire to do so.

Back
Top Bottom