Need More Info Hard Crash and Power Down

Users who are viewing this thread

NOTE: Updated findings in second post.

So I have 28 hours played. Very few bugs and crashes. One that has been consistent across versions that is strange, but seems to be tied to a specific set of circumstances.

In the area roughly marked by mountain ranges around Vostrum (specific area encountered highlighted here ) I occasionally experience crashes when interacting with hostile armies. This has happened with looters, mountain bandits, and enemy faction armies. Have had an instance outside of the preceding circumstance.

Specifically, I reach the hostile army, the game pauses during the transition from the campaign map to the combat selection screen, and then the game crashes directly into a computer reboot. This has only happened in this specific circumstance and only in this area. I can't guarantee that these are the causes but this is what I've observed across 28 hours played and ~10-15 reboots. I can't provide a crash report because the reboot happens well before the crash report system triggers. I've not experienced similar circumstance in any other game. Drivers and windows are all up to date. I have been monitoring temperatures for both the CPU and GPU and in all cases the temperatures are well within expected range. This isn't an overheating issue.

I'm open to the idea that the cause isn't Bannerlord, but it's a very specific and consistent set of circumstances that causes the reboot. This hasn't happened in any other circumstance in Bannerlord or in any other game.

DXDiag here.

In this save game, attacking the nearby mountain bandits (19 bandits) causes the crash sometimes, but not every time.

Let me know what else I can provide to help diagnose. Game is great. Would love to be able to go into these battles without worrying about crashes.

Last edited:
Update: This happened again under different circumstances. Different part of the map and not during transition from the campaign map to the battle screen. This time it happened after a battle as I was telling the opposing leader that they were my prisoner now. At the transition point from the conversation screen back to the campaign map, crash-reboot. Below is the save in question. It happens every time in this save whether I simulate the battle (Send in troops) or fight and win it myself. The crash/reboot happened 4 times in a row using both circumstances and I stopped trying. I haven't been able to move passed this point in this particular save.

I have done memory diagnostics and whatnot. In my spare time I'm going through Event Logs around the point of crash to look for non-Bannerlord reasons, but haven't found anything. Commonality seems to be specifically transitions to and from the campaign map.

Here is the save.

I've been having this same issue since 1.0.5. I've had it happen in various places on the campaign map and once during a conversation with a lord.

I've been having the same issue since launch. All temps good, monitoring all usage, nothing in event viewer, just a flat hard lock and reboot. Stress tests and other games all work fine. Of course because of the nature of the crash there are no logs created to show what is happening. I have seen a ton of posts about this and people always blame the hardware, THIS IS NOT A FAILING HARDWARE ISSUE!!

My computer reboots himself when i try to do anything in bannerlord. I can play every single game in high graphics. But when it comes to bannerlord my computer reboots. Its not about temperature or hardware failure. There is a lot of people like me.
CPU: i7-6700
GPU: 1080
RAM: DDR4 32GB
Motherboard:MSI Z170I Gaming pro
PSU: Corsair ax1200i
Storage: 2xHyperx Savage 960GB SSD,Predator 480GB

Last edited:
Let me quote myself from another thread:

Yep, I have a similar issue.
I can create a character with the character-creator, but once I'm finished and have pressed the "PLAY NOW" button, I'm shown a quick load-screen and after that the computer crashes and performs a hard reset. I can't even get into gameplay because it will always crash my computer. There is no crash-message or anything, it just goes black and reboots. I'm on an older Dell Laptop, but as far as I can see it should be able to run the game just fine... I've updated my OS and all GPU drivers, but it didn't help. The only thing I could imagine is that this is indeed a power-supply issue (I think my AC-Adapter that runs my laptop has an output of 130 Watt? This seems ludicrously low, but I suppose it's normal for laptops?), but I've never experienced anything like this before and never had issues with other games.

My specs:
DELL XPS 15 (9550) Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7 (6th Gen) 6700HQ / 2.6 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

I've waited ages to play Bannerlord and am currently thinking about buying a new PC for this game. :sad:

Thinking about it, this really feels like a power-supply issue, does it not? Most of you guys can actually play the game, but these crashes occur randomly when the game loads a battle or new scene. For me it crashes immediately when entering gameplay. Most of you have beefy gaming rigs with much better PSU's than me on my janky old laptop... I've seen other people talk about this, and perhaps not enough wattage is the reason? This game apparently needs a lot of power to run, and perhaps your PSU's can handle it most of the time (until something causes power to spike and the PC shuts down) while my laptop is not even close and shuts down immediately?

Just an idea. This should definitely not happen.

I'm using the beta and nothing has changed. It is completely random, sometimes 2 minutes sometimes 2 hours. It does seem to be closely related to "loading" anything a lot of times such as entering/leaving a town or battle or various other screens. Sometimes its just as I'm crossing the campaign map, usually I have an auto save after reboot that is corrupt but not always. Again, temps are normal, usually in the 45-55 range for cpu and gpu even when it works for longer periods. Stress testing has brought everything up to 100% and into the 70s temp wise with no errors or crashing, this again is NOT a problem with hardware. I have a Corsair RM1000 and can try to melt this computer with just about anything without failure, it's not a PSU problem either.

I have now played this game for 2 days straight without any hard crashes- even with video-quality cranked up to highest and resolution of 1080p using the beta-branch.

What I did to solve this was actually to upgrade the PSU. I hade one that was around 250w and upgraded to 650w now I see no hard crashes whatsoever

Last edited:
Hello, i have forwarded the info you have provided to devs. If the problem is solved with the latest patches please let us know. Thank you for reporting it in.

If the problem is solved with the latest patches please let us know.
This sounds like the team is not actively working on it and you just want us to tell you if it's resolved magically or not.

Shouldn't you guys suppose to fix this and then post a patch like "We stopped demanding high PSU since this is a game with graphics from 2016, not a render farm"?

Hi! Are you still experiencing this issue?
For me, I haven't experienced this issue for a while now ( since a couple of months) - that being said, I haven't played the game extensively since then either, so I'm not entirely sure if this is fixed or not. OP and others can share their experiences as well

Back
Top Bottom