Should hair physics be in the game?

• I would like to see this feature implemented by Taleworlds in a future patch.

• I would like to see a mod with this feature.

• I would like to see this feature but I don't see it happening realistically.

• I don't really care about this feature.

• I would prefer not to have this feature even if it was optional.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I am sure this has been mentioned to an arduous extent (so my apologies); but there was a blog which talked about cloth physics and showed the horses' manes having some hair physics, so I have a few questions.

I understand that cloth and manes are most likely less taxing on the gpu and obviously different hair would behave differently (so more work is involved), but I definitely think it would add to the immersion of the game rather than the static hair I've seen in some videos. At the very least - when you customise your character they should have at least 3 hair options that are labelled to involve hair physics. Depending on your machine specs, you should also have a checkbox option to include or exclude it (at the very least for your own character if not NPCs). To simplify it even further, just have the default (no physics) when using a helmet or headpiece.

I'd like to know what you guys think about this. How realistic do you think this task is for Taleworlds to implement?

Do you think it's possible to mod this feature in considering how malleable and mod-friendly their custom engine is?

Has this notion already been dismissed by Taleworlds in the past or is it something they've remained tight-lipped on?

Finally, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Official statement from dev blog 05/09/19: "Cloth physics is in the game, it works and is used in many places. Hair physics wasn’t a priority since it is difficult to get right and you are usually wearing a helmet anyway. However, it is something we can look into if we can find the time."

I feel like it's something I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'd be a little concerned about performance impact unless only named characters had the hair physics or something.

Could it be nice to have, maybe yes, if it means it cuts 10 people out of a 500 people battle, then no. As i see it, 90% of the time, your char will have a helmet on, 45% of the time, most NPCs will aswell, so its a body part that is hidden alot of the time. It would make more sense to have, in my opionion, if we get something like "civilian clothes", where we have something different on while walking about in out own castle or at feasts, but even that is such a minor part of the game, that i would prefer many other things over it. Maybe it could be a DLC that added more things that you would do in civilian clothes.

Official statement from dev blog 05/09/19: "Cloth physics is in the game, it works and is used in many places. Hair physics wasn’t a priority since it is difficult to get right and you are usually wearing a helmet anyway. However, it is something we can look into if we can find the time."

I feel like it's something I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'd be a little concerned about performance impact unless only named characters had the hair physics or something.

Thanks for that! I guess it's not completely dismissed at least..

I don't mind them switching off the feature when you are wearing the helmet or limiting the feature to the player character only. As for the performance, in Witcher 3, there is an option to allow NVIDIA Hairworks depending on your specs.

My only qualm is that it feels a bit jarring when characters with long hair have it remain static.

It could be nice but if it takes too much ressources, I do not want this to be limiting for other things (like number of troops).
So, yes, only on some characters could be nice (like players, lords and companions).

Hair physics can be quite a nice graphical improvement. And probably matters to me more than others as I like to go helmet-less when I can get away with it.

But I value performance more so I would only want it if it has very low performance cost.

There could always be selectable in the game settings, for performance and aesthetic/realism reasons...!
A lot of people were "whining" and screaming that Bannerlord will be a step back, as far as the graphics are concerned, before it was released.
Realism in graphics must always be an option in games imo!

Thank you for making the votting poll @Kamina!

Back
Top Bottom