B Tutorial 3D Hair Making Tutorial - So, you want to be a hair stylist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaymosuke

Recruit
So, making hair, was at first a tedious thing, which upon learning my programs, became second nature, and I'm sure lots of you would like to know this process. So get those scissors ready baby!

Requirements;
1. Patience and good eyes
2. A model of hair you wish to use, along with sufficient permisions if you wish to make it public
3. Programs; LithUnwrap, Wings3D, OpenBRF, Program needed to extract hair mesh(Model) from mod (If not using personal model or already have .Obj)

Step 1; Extract texture hair_blonde from texture folder in M&B, place it where you plan on using your workbench.
Have Mesh or model extracted to same location.
Also extract the model for the gender you wish to align the hair style for.

step2p1.jpg

Step 2; Open Wings 3D, and import both models,

Now, scale down the hair to be more fitting to the size of the head,

step2p2.jpg

After scaling to a correct proprtion, go to tools and then center, then press all, this should center the model closer to the head.

step2p3.jpg

Now, use the move commands to properly fit the hair onto the head, make sure you check ALL sides! You may have to scale the model on specific axis' in order to properly fit it.

step2p4.jpg

Now, you properly fit your model with one another, now select the hair with the select all faces icon, (It'll be a box, mid-top of the screen the icon on far right.) Now export selected model. Make sure you save as .OBJ

step2p5.jpg

Step 3; Now you can close out of Wings3D, now that you completed your task of aligning the models. Now, open LithUnwrap, this might get tedious! Open your model now

step3p1.jpg

Press the Materials button,

step3p2.jpg

Materials > Modify; Now select the first material in the list and press properties, from there press maps on the new menu. Change texture maps to bitmap. then press properties. Now press change and select the hair_blonde texture. Your result should now show the map image on the model. Make sure the memorize the textures appearance.

step3p3.jpg

From here things are tricky, you now need to fool around with the faces of the model, displayed on the left side of my screen. Moving these changes the placement of the texture on the model, from this point on the tutorial won't help you, this part is all based on your skills and patience.

step3p4.jpg

After finishing the UVmapping, go to Files > Model >Save ; Make sure you save it as an .Obj file again!

step3p5.jpg

Those were some long steps! Now, then

Step 4; Open the OpenBRF, and take a sigh of relief, since you got the hard parts out of the way...

Import the hair now, and change it's material to hair_blonde, then set it's flags to 30,000. Also, you may wish to recompute it by right-clicking after importing the hair.

step4.jpg

Now just add it to your game and enjoy!

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, as I enjoyed teaching you something simple and fun!

Results!

resultsb.jpg

Great and neat. Yoshi, this needs to be teleported :wink:
The only downside I've saw is the "BRFEditor" bit, I'd change it to OpenBRF to avoid confusions with the Thorgrim's one.

Good job. And welcome to the TaleWorlds Community.
PS: Just saw your hairs for Warband mod.

Yeah there are two main shaders in use for hair.  One for hair on head, other for beards.  The one for head has anisotropic filtering which gives it that shiny look when light hits it -- unfortunately I don't think the guys at Taleworlds have got that one quite right yet.  Bit like someone has overdosed on hair conditioner.  Personally I use OpenBRF to switch the hair one to the beard one.  The anisotropic one does look better in certain situations, but in my experience those situations are rare. :smile:

This is what I have been looking for thanks, would this work for original mount and blade as well.

Yeah it worked but how do you add it as a new hair into the game. I replaced a currently existing hair to see if it would work because i dont know how to add it into the game as a new hair to choose from.

I dont understand what you mean, could you explain what you mean when you say check the download version.

nope they arent much different you do them the same way as the hairs, Ive done it and made one or two for my mod. So yea you can.

NewBie-BR said:
Sory because i ask this :oops:. How can i add new hair to my mod?

This is very easy and simple to do.

Well you go into your module skins and scroll down to man_hair. This is where the game loads the hair models (the same for female just go down to woman_hair).

Here is a sample of the new hair that I added

,"man_hair_y7","man_hair_y9","man_hair_y11","man_hair_u","man_hair_y","man_hair_y2","man_hair_y4","afro"],

See the afro part, that was the name of the mesh that I added in. For me it is in a brf and already added into the module ini so if you havent done that then do so.

Thats really it and this goes the same for the beard of man. A new entry of hair is just like this ,"afro".

I hope this helps you

xPearse

I liked the hair you give in the other topic, specially the long tail.

I was looking for the Qing/Manchu hair style, the one with most of the head shaved and a long-ne-ver-cut-queue. Never found until now, and I believe no one did this.

Would you Jaymosuke, or any other be kind of doing this hair?

If I wanted give a try and make the model by myself, the Wings 3D works for it? And could someone give hints and help in the work?

Back
Top Bottom