Guys, your game is monstrously hard

Users who are viewing this thread

1) There's a lot going on, the learning curve is very steep. I don't think the game would be the same if any effort were made to reduce the complexity. That should stay the way it is. That said, there's no handholding, like, at all. Can a guy get a tooltip? Hintboxes might be annoying for some, but for the completely uninitiated they might be a lifesaver.
2) There's no way for beginners to gauge quest difficulty without being slaughtered by said quests. Many RPG's and RTS's at least give you a red skull or something to say, "hey bud, you might want to rethink accepting this one." And failing quests sets campaigns back BIG time, and in a hurry.
3) It is just way too damned easy to die, even on very easy difficulty. In multiplayer this is fine - everybody suffers. But it leads to a ton of restarts in campaign.
4) It's early access, so the bugs don't help; the one campaign I actually gained any purchase in I lost my best follower and half my best men to the "HOLDING in Ain Baliq" bug and didn't have a save less than 4 gameplay hours away, which caused me to wipe that playthrough. That said, *MORE THAN ONE* autosave might go a very long way to preventing this. Like maybe 3 revolving saves total, one at each of the last cities you visit. (I realize the player can do this themselves, but should they have to?)

Anywho, I like what you're trying to do, and I'm invested in the game's success so I'm not about to go uninstalling the thing any time soon. But as a completely new player to your universe I have to tell you it'll be hard to sell this to anybody new in its current form. My favorite suggestions from above are #2 and #3. I only made multiple suggestions because I'm aware programming something this complex is nasty business and I'm sure half the crap I just spouted isn't nearly feasible.

But guys, c'mon. I like this laptop. And we're all in quarantine. It'll suck if I throw it off my balcony because of this game.

The game is not hard. Like, really...
If you're new to M&B I recommend to just go read a guide or watch some videos on what to do first and what not to do.
If you're dying in fights, learn to choose your fights in the sense that, don't pick a fight with a vassal with an army of tier 6 units whilst you have a bunch of levies, etc. And if you mean getting your character KO'd personally, just...stay back? Shoot at things, be an archer or just be more cautious.

Your most powerful tool as a new player is the F5 key, just learn to quicksave. And do it often. Quicksave before taking up a quest, before a battle, (save with enough time for you to get away if you don't wanna fight it) Personally I don't like the autosave feature, and just tapping F5 is too easy to not use.

Just keep trying and have fun with it.

This game is actually insanely easy. And I'm really bad at it.

You just need to get over the small learning curve since M&B is a bit unique and unusual. Once you do that most things end up rather simple.

Also to beat literally anyone in a 1v1 just circle around them (Hold W and A or W and D), the AI has no idea what to do and you can kill it by spam clicking. Works every time.

Point 2 is an issue though. There's no way to know how difficult a quest is, which is especially troublesome early in the game when your troops are inexperienced.

This comes with learning more about the game and you learn one important thing.

Just don't. In my experience quests are never worth it so I never do them. I didn't do any quests in bannerlord and I conquered the map once so far. But this comes from warband experience of quests being awful so just don't do them. I have no idea what you get for them in bannerlord, but considering you can easily make 50k denari by joining an army and just being around for the loot collection and selling I doubt its worth it.

This comes with learning more about the game and you learn one important thing.

Just don't. In my experience quests are never worth it so I never do them. I didn't do any quests in bannerlord and I conquered the map once so far. But this comes from warband experience of quests being awful so just don't do them. I have no idea what you get for them in bannerlord, but considering you can easily make 50k denari by joining an army and just being around for the loot collection and selling I doubt its worth it.
Seems unreasonable to ignore the entire questing system. The devs put it in there for a reason, and if there's a balancing issue then they should address it because quests are a pretty cool concept if done well and one that many people enjoy.

For someone who has over 6k hours in Warband, I wouldn't say Bannerlord is hard(er) in fact I'd declare it easier. It all depends on how you play and the experience you have playing this game in singleplayer (without cheats).

Seems unreasonable to ignore the entire questing system. The devs put it in there for a reason, and if there's a balancing issue then they should address it because quests are a pretty cool concept if done well and one that many people enjoy.

Considering its EA, ignoring the quests might be more reasonable than unreasonable. The main quest line itself isn't even finished. So dipping your hand into the questing side of the game can unload a box of problems (3 days since EA released).

Seems unreasonable to ignore the entire questing system.

I have a friend who does quests. Half the time he gets stuck in (instant fail, impossible to complete quest etc etc) them because they aren't finished, his game crashes or whatever. Considering a lot of them are quite raw by far the most reasonable thing to do is in fact avoid them.

Devs also put quests in warband. By god I'll never do them.

Want money? Just join as a merc and then join an "army"/death stack. Sell all the loot and prisoners you earn and come out with ~20,000-50,000 denarii (before the army breaks apart from cohesion or lack thereof) when you started the journey with only ~1,000. By far the most efficient way to make money.

Back
Top Bottom