Gun wankery

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm trying to import a ported gas plug for my Garand, but it's hard to ship gun parts out of the US.

It would be nice, though, so I could shoot commercial ammo in it. That way, I could survive the zombie apocalypse longer.

So I have been to a firing range for the first time in my whole life. And of course, it was glorious!

zA9s7.jpg

Funnily, what has struck me, as a person who literally never fired a gun before, is how ****ty is your perception of the target once you shoot at it. I mean, once it goes bang, I completely lose the sight of the target. Even with red dotted weapons for a fraction of a second. Second is that while I was expecting guns to be loud, I haven't expected them to be smelly. Well, they are :grin:

Also, it is goddamn expensive. But I got to shoot all the cool guns, so all is well that ends well :grin:

4BNlI.jpg
WT5PC.jpg
LshKP.jpg

I was on a shooting range again and found out that firing bolt-action rifles only in a shirt may not be the best for your shoulders :grin: I shot 20 rounds from a Mosin Nagant and 30 from a vz.24 (a Mauser rifle). Near the end I pretty much had to shoot standing because that way I could lean back to absorb the recoil, whereas in prone all the force went to my shoulder and near the end I would curse with each shot because of the pain. Then I shot a bit with M16A1, vz.58 and MP-5, but all those were completely fine as far as my shoulder is concerned. I wonder if I do something wrong, but shooting like 60 shots from prone with a bolt-action seems out of a realm of possibility for me due to the pain :grin:

Oh, and stripper clips are so cool!

Oh, and there was a guy shooting flintlock pistols who set his target on fire :shock:

Prone firing wasn't as much of a long-term consideration when that generation of rounds and rifles was designed, no?
And even by the time it was, I doubt you'd be firing 60 rounds without having a very bad, very long, very adrenaline-fuelled day to ease you off the shoulder pain.

Prone shooting with full power bolt action rifles was done all the time - if nothing else, then on the shooting range during basic training.

I shot more than a hundred rounds through my Garand the first day I had it on the range. Felt my shoulder for days.

I think semi-autos definitely beat your shoulder up much more than bolt actions too since you're absorbing the recoil of the cartridge plus the movement of the action. Shot about 100 rounds through my NDM-86 two weeks ago and my shoulder was pretty battered.

that doesn't make any sense mechanically.

in semi auto, the action doesn't add more energy to the equation.
if you have the same conditions (cartridge loading, gun weight, etc), the energy imparted on the system is the same.

the difference is that in a bolt action it all hits at once whereas in semi-auto the springs act like shock absorbers, essentially. the recoil impulse ist delayed and diffused a bit.

that doesn't make any sense mechanically.

in semi auto, the action doesn't add more energy to the equation.
if you have the same conditions (cartridge loading, gun weight, etc), the energy imparted on the system is the same.

the difference is that in a bolt action it all hits at once whereas in semi-auto the springs act like shock absorbers, essentially. the recoil impulse ist delayed and diffused a bit.
You're right, I read up on it more and it doesn't work that way. Funny though because it definitely feels that way, especially with my NDM-86. That thing kicks like a mule.

Maybe, I'm already on the lowest possible gas setting (position 1) though. I'm reluctant to mess with the rifle extensively since it was expensive, but I could probably experiment with some different recoil springs and maybe add a recoil buffer.

Back
Top Bottom