Gun wankery

Users who are viewing this thread

You'll need a firearms licence/shotgun permit or their respective equivalents if you intend to shoot in the UK. I'd recommend saving your money for burgerland based shooting.

Yeah, figured as much. I had done a little research online however, and it appeared non-license owners can shoot at ranges in Brittania provided they are accompanied by license holders who can vouch for their sanity. I might be wrong on this, but is there any truth to it?

Aside from the licenses themselves, what gear would be okay for a noob?

Oookay. And what might be a reasonable estimate of how much I'll be set back by in terms of money? What might it cost to go shooting at a range using entry-grade guns and ammo at your places?

NYC, Long Island, might also plan travelling around a bit (with or without classmates) but not too sure on that front yet.

I'm pretty sure that end of the US has stricter gun laws than the southwest. Folth, if she was here, might be able to give you some more concrete information.

Let's not forget that New York City is not all of New York state. Upstate New York is much more rural, and rural in the US means guns. Poughkeepsie (poo-kipsy) is like an hour north of NYC, you could pick it up & plop it down in any midwestern state and it wouldn't look out of place.

Orion said:
Let's not forget that New York City is not all of New York state. Upstate New York is much more rural, and rural in the US means guns. Poughkeepsie (poo-kipsy) is like an hour north of NYC, you could pick it up & plop it down in any midwestern state and it wouldn't look out of place.
This.

Also if you are only interested in semi-automatic rifles you will require a permit for purchase as New York state defines "assault weapons" as rifles able to accept detachable magazines on top of fulfilling some other criteria such as a bayonet lug, pistol grip, telescoping or folding stock, or any other "scary black rifle" features. You should be able to obtain a premises only permit which is shall-issue however this permit will not allow you to CC. This article should provide you with some more detail:

http://nycitylens.com/wp-content/guns/new-york-city-and-its-gun-laws-how-strict-are-they/index.html

If you're going to be living exclusively in NYC I'd just say **** it and not bother as you are beholden to a slew of different laws than outside the city. If you're still not deterred, just know the state/city laws and the differences between them like the back of your hand so you don't get ****ed and you should be okay - as a person from CT that's pretty much how you have to operate in these literal nanny-states. And as a registered foreigner, if you violate even the most inconsequential, arbitrary law the state will come down on you.

Cpt. Nemo said:
Pachinko, f all you really wanna do is shoot guns you can just go to pretty much any shooting range and shoot whatever you want.
Yeah, this too. You can go to a range and rent guns to shoot for recreation without the hassle of obtaining a permit or purchase. Most ranges will require you either shoot with a certified instructor or another individual who has their gun permit however.

You guys are all right. I am not planning to move to the USA anyway, if I buy the guns where will I take them to? India, which has some ridiculously tight gun and ammo laws? I'll look to rent out guns. My main concern was the thing we discussed regarding doing the shooting with an instructor or a license holder. Thanks for helping out guys!

Don't know about upstate NY, but in NJ you can go to a range and rent anything including scary black rifles. You only have to sign a waiver, watch a short instructional video and realize that as a foreigner, you will almost positively be on some list forever, so don't be surprised when you wake up bagged and gagged on a plane to a black site in the Philippines, because a guy who kinda looks like you, snapped after the 35789th Apu joke and went for it.

Oh, I realize this is a long shot, but if any Finnbros here happen to have a spare RK 62 top cover lying around or know where to get one I would buy it off of you for more than a fair price.

Two of them. One was missing the original top cover when I bought it so I've been using a Galil top cover as a substitute (it surprisingly works very well) and the other is in pristine condition and all original/matching.

Back
Top Bottom