Gun wankery

Currently Viewing (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Seff

Cool Hand Luke
Duke
M&BWB
Best answers
I'm trying to import a ported gas plug for my Garand, but it's hard to ship gun parts out of the US.

It would be nice, though, so I could shoot commercial ammo in it. That way, I could survive the zombie apocalypse longer.

BenKenobi

Duke
WBNW
Best answers
So I have been to a firing range for the first time in my whole life. And of course, it was glorious!

Funnily, what has struck me, as a person who literally never fired a gun before, is how ****ty is your perception of the target once you shoot at it. I mean, once it goes bang, I completely lose the sight of the target. Even with red dotted weapons for a fraction of a second. Second is that while I was expecting guns to be loud, I haven't expected them to be smelly. Well, they are :grin:

Also, it is goddamn expensive. But I got to shoot all the cool guns, so all is well that ends well :grin:

Jhessail

Panzervixen
Master Knight
Best answers
The more you shoot, the more experienced you get, and the less you get frazzled/distracted by it.

galactic bum

Knight
WBNW
Best answers
Got a new 45 couple days ago, shot out a few mags by now, this thing is accurate af. Not a big fan of PPQ factory sights though.
The trigger is just a pure perfection.

Alcedo

Regular
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers

BenKenobi

Duke
WBNW
Best answers
I was on a shooting range again and found out that firing bolt-action rifles only in a shirt may not be the best for your shoulders :grin: I shot 20 rounds from a Mosin Nagant and 30 from a vz.24 (a Mauser rifle). Near the end I pretty much had to shoot standing because that way I could lean back to absorb the recoil, whereas in prone all the force went to my shoulder and near the end I would curse with each shot because of the pain. Then I shot a bit with M16A1, vz.58 and MP-5, but all those were completely fine as far as my shoulder is concerned. I wonder if I do something wrong, but shooting like 60 shots from prone with a bolt-action seems out of a realm of possibility for me due to the pain :grin:

Oh, and stripper clips are so cool!

Oh, and there was a guy shooting flintlock pistols who set his target on fire :shock:

Krik

Duke
M&BWB
Best answers
When firing large caliber rifles repeatedly, it's pretty normal for it to hurt a bit. I've never really shot prone much but that might make it worse.

Cyborg Eastern European

Canis Mechanicus
Archduke
Best answers
Prone firing wasn't as much of a long-term consideration when that generation of rounds and rifles was designed, no?
And even by the time it was, I doubt you'd be firing 60 rounds without having a very bad, very long, very adrenaline-fuelled day to ease you off the shoulder pain.

Seff

Cool Hand Luke
Duke
M&BWB
Best answers
Prone shooting with full power bolt action rifles was done all the time - if nothing else, then on the shooting range during basic training.

I shot more than a hundred rounds through my Garand the first day I had it on the range. Felt my shoulder for days.

Æon

Count
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
I think semi-autos definitely beat your shoulder up much more than bolt actions too since you're absorbing the recoil of the cartridge plus the movement of the action. Shot about 100 rounds through my NDM-86 two weeks ago and my shoulder was pretty battered.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Dancing to electro-pop like a robot since 1984
Subforum Moderator
M&BWBNWWF&SVC
Best answers
that doesn't make any sense mechanically.

in semi auto, the action doesn't add more energy to the equation.
if you have the same conditions (cartridge loading, gun weight, etc), the energy imparted on the system is the same.

the difference is that in a bolt action it all hits at once whereas in semi-auto the springs act like shock absorbers, essentially. the recoil impulse ist delayed and diffused a bit.

Æon

Count
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
that doesn't make any sense mechanically.

in semi auto, the action doesn't add more energy to the equation.
if you have the same conditions (cartridge loading, gun weight, etc), the energy imparted on the system is the same.

the difference is that in a bolt action it all hits at once whereas in semi-auto the springs act like shock absorbers, essentially. the recoil impulse ist delayed and diffused a bit.
You're right, I read up on it more and it doesn't work that way. Funny though because it definitely feels that way, especially with my NDM-86. That thing kicks like a mule.

Æon

Count
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
Maybe, I'm already on the lowest possible gas setting (position 1) though. I'm reluctant to mess with the rifle extensively since it was expensive, but I could probably experiment with some different recoil springs and maybe add a recoil buffer.

Orion

Still Not Worthy
Global Moderator
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
Could also be you're just firing the semi-auto faster, and thus beating your shoulder more often over a given span of time.