[Guide] Optimising single-player performance - Stuttering? Got 8gb RAM? This might help

Users who are viewing this thread

My experience has got worse since the patches. Runs horribly no matter what GFX level.
Now it crashes mid seige... sigh.

Which ram are you talking about, physical, virtual, or what your GPU has? I have 16 gigs of ram, but I keep crashing in sieges for some damn reason I can't figure out despite being well over the recommended limit.

Wonderful post that can hopefully help people with non-optimal rigs. Using a CPU that got discontinued in 2017, so while I've got a good GPU and SSD, I'm not exactly entirely part of the 'pro-gaming build' club haha.

Hello everyone! I feel in debt with all of you, since a lot of your advises and tips helped me improve performance. SO, what I did, since I can't move my game to an SSD was to load the Virtual Memory on the SSD instead of HDD. After that, disabled all sound enhancements as said in another comment. The most important thing I did was to lower the game resolution to 1280x800 and it actually looks kinda good. And, guys, limit your FPS to something between 30-45, it will help. I couldn't even move without having stuttering, and when I did all this, I could kill my first 3 looters in battle, lol.

My specs:

i5-4570
RX570
8GB RAM
WIN10

I hope this helps, I know you may not like to limit your FPS, but you'll be able to have better performance that way.

I haven't seen this brought up before here, but before you install Bannerlord onto your SSD you should be well aware that it's more or less going to shorten its lifespan. Reading and writing data is the source of most of the wear on your drives, and a game as big as Bannerlord that's still in Early Access - meaning it's going to be updated very frequently and often quite large amounts of data can get rewritten - is going to cause a lot of wear. It will definitely shorten the lifespan of your SSD by some unspecific amount. Now, modern SSDs have a long lifespan regardless - you probably won't notice the loss and there's no reason to worry really. This notice is for those who have older SSDs or who don't for whatever reason want to place that extra burden on their SSDs.

So I have another problem, all the battles run fine I'm in single-player ~day 350, an army of 110 men, and I stutter and lag while travelling the map, it stutters every 1-3 seconds
*Have tried reinstalling, restarting PC, running all the tools etc..
PC stats are good 32gb ram, 1070 GeForce, i-7 proc

The map did not stutter until today after I became a kingdom I think, sometime after.

Does anyone have the same problem and maybe has found the solution ?

For those of you with 2 or more ssd's, split the pagefile on them, it can help to reduce I/O operations and thus minimize stuttering. source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...azine/ff382717(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Huh- very interesting! That actually made a noticeable difference in loading several games for me. I have 5 SSD from 200gb up to 1tb but my system and pagefile were on my 2nd oldest 480gb SSD. Splitting between that and my newest SSD saves about 4-10 seconds on most game loads for me.

i7 4790k with 8 GB RAM and a GTX 2070(waiting for newer CPU to get new mobo/ram).

Huh- very interesting! That actually made a noticeable difference in loading several games for me. I have 5 SSD from 200gb up to 1tb but my system and pagefile were on my 2nd oldest 480gb SSD. Splitting between that and my newest SSD saves about 4-10 seconds on most game loads for me.

i7 4790k with 8 GB RAM and a GTX 2070(waiting for newer CPU to get new mobo/ram).
Excellent! it also helped me a lot, and i only have 2 ssd's. I'll get a third one and more ram when this corona crap calms a bit.

Either 1.0.7 or 1.0.8 completely fixed the stuttering problem for me! For context:

8 gb RAM
phenom II 965 x4 (below min req)
gtx 750 ti 2GB
Win 10
Also I don't use an SSD.

Last edited:
Cant thank the author enough, been going around in circles trying to fix the huge stutter in battles (when entering senses as well), i thought -at first- it was a cpu related problem (have i3 2.9 Ghz), i tried everything, went through every tutorial possible on YT about boosting performance, i was so desperate to the point where i considered downloading shady malware that are "supposed to" increase performance.

Till i found this post (and it was a god sent), also tried everything suggested here and still didnt work (trust me ram memory isnt the main issue with the game although it is a major one that needs further addressing by TW) , everything except one thing: Defragging. it turns out my hdd was file fragmented to hell, talking 50% fragmentations. It took me 2 days to completely defrag the damn thing and my god what a difference!

Not just the game completely flipped from being slow, laggy and unresponsive.....but my ENTIRE PC is almost born anew! everything now runs butter smooth, including the game running on medium-high graphics with 500 units and the worst FPS got while in the thick of it 45....i literally discovered a new side of my PC

Again cant thank you enough my good sir
Morbo513
If u see this just know u literally saved a life from certain death by boredom! best of wishes to u and everyone reading this! cheers!

spics:
I3 @ 2.9 Ghz
GTX 745
8 gigs
HDD
windows bloody 10

I nearly did everythin written on here didn't work. I tried both my ssd and hdd then someone said to me they have the same issue with 1650(laptop) and then I switch my old pc 750ti 8gb ram and ****ty cpu game runs kind of well on very low with no stutter.Why this thing happening with 1650 and not with 750ti?

Spec.
Gtx 1650
i5-9300H
8GB Ram
256GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Careful with overclock RAM, though. I had the guys who built my PC do this and it was causing a lot of games to spontaneously crash until I manually clocked it back to factory defaults. The tech support rep told me RAM "isn't possible to overclock" or something. Maybe it was just the particular sticks I had. Either way, if you start crashing, that could be it.

Any post-processing of frames is expensive and will have huge impacts on low(er)-end systems. Anti-aliasing specifically has a huge cost and almost no impact. Motion blur is made worse by low framerates and in general is a detriment to you as a player. Our eyes don't really work that way, when you turn your head you already have an idea of where you want your eyes to end up, there is a lot less motion blur in real life than any implementation in a game I've seen to-date

Turn both off

Back
Top Bottom