[Guide] Optimising single-player performance - Stuttering? Got 8gb RAM? This might help

Users who are viewing this thread

I’m currently on 8gb ram and an HDD and I experience the common problems: perfectly fine custom battle performance even with max battle size but everything in the campaign is slow and combat is unplayable from the stuttering.

I’m upgrading to 32gb ram and an SSD today.

Will update with the results!

I’m currently on 8gb ram and an HDD and I experience the common problems: perfectly fine custom battle performance even with max battle size but everything in the campaign is slow and combat is unplayable from the stuttering.

I’m upgrading to 32gb ram and an SSD today.

Will update with the results!

Waiting

Doing all this can't hurt, but the best way remains upgrading or waiting them to fix the game

I did what is stated in this thread, but nothing really worked significantly

Post is awesome. However, unfortunatelly, it should ve been solved before they published the game. It should NOT ve been that broken. Im not sure who to blame but that game will be in the videos, which is called "10 Most Disappointing Games of 2020". No chill.

Found on Reddit:

The more I've been playing the more it feels like sounds were a major culprit. I didn't have any audio enhancements enabled, but the headset I use has its own soundcard I think - Gonna try now with a regular pair of headphones and see what difference it might make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found on Reddit:

The more I've been playing the more it feels like sounds were a major culprit. I didn't have any audio enhancements enabled, but the headset I use has its own soundcard I think - Gonna try now with a regular pair of headphones and see what difference it might make.

Hello Morbo513, may i translate everything and share on the Turkish forum? I will link the post ofcourse.

Look the issues are in part caused by old code in the games triggers; they were never really optimized to begin with so the issue isn't really your computers. Check to see if the stuttering is sequenced with the time of day in-game.

One thing that I did, and that helped immensely, was to switch from the default borderless full-screen to regular fullscreen. It didn't make the performance great, but it improved it by a lot. From unplayable to barely acceptable, basically.

One thing that I did, and that helped immensely, was to switch from the default borderless full-screen to regular fullscreen. It didn't make the performance great, but it improved it by a lot. From unplayable to barely acceptable, basically.
We could really use a command to switch from Windowed to Fullscreen, like we could in Warband. I always use two monitors and have some stuff on the other one while I'm gaming.

Found on Reddit:

This has actually fixed my constant 100% CPU usage. Wtf :xf-eek:

Sound definitely seemed like part of the problem with stuttering since stuttering always proceeded units yelling in field battles and the arenas had noisy crowds. Will test in a bit after I update drivers (I haven't bothered because its been a yearish since I've played a new game that was remotely demanding of my graphics card).

Can confirm that using regular 3.5mm headphones w/o onboard soundcard and with enhancements disabled improves performance. I've updated the OP with everyone's contributions

Sound fix helped my performance slightly but only with the CPU. My ram usage is still up around 88-98%

Headed to the store now to pick up my 32GB ram and an SSD to see how that affects performance

Updated drivers and disabled sound enhancements (Also installed new battery backup, but I doubt that's important). Not only does the game run much smoother and load faster (before the loading was terrible, but now it's only about as bad as a larger Warband mod and perfectly bearable), it also seems to be running colder. Going to try a 500 man cav battle and see how the FPS works.

Update: Lowest point is just a few FPS higher than before (26 instead of low 20s), but it stays above 30 a lot more.

Last edited:
Update: I had been experiencing all the stuttering issues a lot of others have. I could run custom battles with max battle size but the campaign was stuttering even in the practice tutorial.

I upgraded from 8GB DDR4 RAM to 32GB DDR4 and the campaign is completely playable now. Loading screens are still a bit longer than I'd like but I have the game on an HDD so I can't expect much else. I bought an SSD and I know that'll take care of the loading times I just wanted to do a test with the RAM upgrade before reinstalling to the SSD.

I noticed that my RAM is right around 8GB usage when playing, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (7-9GB range). So I think 16GB should suffice but I wanted to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom