[Guide] Optimising single-player performance - Stuttering? Got 8gb RAM? This might help

Users who are viewing this thread

My game runs very well in combat, even in the big battles I run it on medium settings.

But sieges are a different story, especially since the last patch. Sometimes,when the ladders/siege towers hit the walls and I am trying to engage the defenders, it is terrible. I had an instance today where the game was absolutely unplayable and stuttering even in lowest settings.
I have 16gb ram/AMD FX(tm)-8350 /GTX 1060 6gb.

I had an instance today

which version? 1.0.10 or 1.1.0.beta?

some people with sieges issues are using this workaround: they breach the walls and dont bring any sieges weapons. It reduces the pathfinding conflicts and makes the siege just like a field battle (performance wise). Not a solution, and TW should fix their issues as patches go, but may serve as a suggestion for now (sieges are fun after all).

This is a great post, lots of useful info.
This game has pushed me to upgrade my system, my current system has ddr3 8b of ram running at 1300mhz. I get a lot of stutters in modern games, and im pretty sure its my ram. My CPU is a i5 4970k running at 4.4ghz, yes its only 4cores and 4 threads, but it shouldnt cause stutters. This game stutters a lot for me, in over 100 unit battles.

I have ordered a ryzen 3600 and ddr4 16gb 3200mhz ram, I will post back here and let you know if the stutters have gone. I really hope they will, modern games seem to eat RAM.

Also to the OP, ddr2 ram is a lot slower than even ddr3 ram. So when the recommended spec is 8gb of ram im certain they are referring to ddr3/ddr4 ram. Anyway, on current performance 16gb should be recommended anyway I think. Will post back soon, hopefully with good results.

To anybody running with their texture streaming settings on High/Very high, TURN IT TO LOW!

Not sure why this setting has such a huge impact on performance but I was running everything on lowest settings with texture streaming set to high and my gameplay was very choppy, seige was unplayable, mouse locked in combat frequently, and big fps dips. I changed the setting to low, switched everything to high/very high and game runs very smooth now, small fps hit in sieges, minimal fps hit in 800+ man battles but thats just my rig im pretty sure.

Edit: haven't tried the new patch with the improved multicore processing yet, this was all pre 1.0.10

Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x
Video: Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Ram: 32gb DDR4 3200
Mobo: MSI B350 Tomohawk

some people with sieges issues are using this workaround: they breach the walls and dont bring any sieges weapons. It reduces the pathfinding conflicts and makes the siege just like a field battle (performance wise). Not a solution, and TW should fix their issues as patches go, but may serve as a suggestion for now (sieges are fun after all).
Thats pretty good info, I hate autocalcing seige battles because the defender benefits but I also hate running them because they slow down the fps more or less depending on the castle

which version? 1.0.10 or 1.1.0.beta?

It was 1.0.10. I followed a few of the suggestions, the memory cleaner app in particular, and I managed to get through a siege without game destroying lag on the third attempt - on the lowest of settings. Unfortunately my engineer ability is not good enough yet to destroy the walls!

I've got 1.1.0 beta now though, so will see if things improve after that!

I can 100% confirm a lot of lagg is produced by 8GB of ram.

I had just upgraded my PC to DDR4, my RAM hadn't arrived yet, so I took 8GB of my dad's pc and put it in mine. The game ran like ass on any setting. The only way I found it to be 'playable' was with resolution very low, and everything else on minimal.

I got my 16GB the other day, my FPS skyrocketed, at full resolution with highest graphics it still runs my required 144fps (144hz monitor), the only times it slows down is in battles with more than 500 men, 500 will have it go down to ~60, the full 1000 results in average 45 with spikes to 30. Still incredibly playable to me.

TLDR: Lowest settings on 8GB ran like ****, everything pumped up to ultra on 16GB runs awesomely. I changed no other components of my PC, just added more RAM.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050.
8Gb Ram.

Just tested a 1000 man skirmish, seems to play really smooth with only a minor viusal bug and 3s stutter at game start, medium settings.
Campaing: Its horrible, every battle is played in low or very low, same with cities, castles and villages, thank good you can ransom without entering the tabern. Im playing map only with autoresolve sieges are the exception as the loses in autoresolve in sieges are really high (as it should be)

I can 100% confirm a lot of lagg is produced by 8GB of ram.

I had just upgraded my PC to DDR4, my RAM hadn't arrived yet, so I took 8GB of my dad's pc and put it in mine. The game ran like ass on any setting. The only way I found it to be 'playable' was with resolution very low, and everything else on minimal.

I got my 16GB the other day, my FPS skyrocketed, at full resolution with highest graphics it still runs my required 144fps (144hz monitor), the only times it slows down is in battles with more than 500 men, 500 will have it go down to ~60, the full 1000 results in average 45 with spikes to 30. Still incredibly playable to me.

TLDR: Lowest settings on 8GB ran like ****, everything pumped up to ultra on 16GB runs awesomely. I changed no other components of my PC, just added more RAM.

and what are you PC specs?

I had terrible stuttering with intel i7-6700, gtx 1080, and 8g of memory. I upgraded to 16g of memory and all my stutters have gone away. Everything just runs smoother. If you are having issues with 8g of memory trust me the 80$ is worth it to upgrade to 16g. Just make sure it's compatible with your setup.
Edit: I'm upgraded to 2x8GB=16GB of DDR4 2133MHz.

Last edited:
Trying to put game on external drive. Didn't get an answer when I asked if that was okay but it seems people do it for games in general. If it gets worse I'll just put it back.
Didn't help me but YMMV

Last edited:
Paying an aditional 80€/$ for a new RAM is not the solution, the game is advertise with a minimun of 6Gb required so very low graphics for good performance, and 8 Gb for normal graphics for good performance.

Paying an aditional 80€/$ for a new RAM is not the solution, the game is advertise with a minimun of 6Gb required so very low graphics for good performance, and 8 Gb for normal graphics for good performance.

well this thread is not about [how the game will work in a year], its about [how to improve your performance today]. Game is still WIP and devs are working on performance issues right now. You can wait, or try some things (including hardware upgrades) to improve the game now.

throw more hardware at the problem is a classic solution, even if its FAR from ideal.

Thank you so much for this thread! I've had performance issues with many games and today I found out my pagefile size was 3 gigs... Yes three! On 16 gigs of ram lol. You basically made my day good sir.

How much did you put in pagefile? Did really make difference?
I put it at 24000 MB. Before I was having frequent hitches in even smaller battles against looters. Now it's buttery smooth for the most part. I run the game on the lowest setting since my laptop is decently prone to heating up.

These are the rest of my specs: i7-8570h & gtx 1070ti.

To be clear I didn't pay $80 for 8g of memory. I bought two 8g sticks to get a total of 16g for $80. This fixed more than just the issues I had with this game and was personally very worth upgrading.

I just upgraded from 8GB ddr3 to 16 gb ddr3 last night.
With 8gb: Custom battle was not freezing, but (200 bots) some stuttering and annoying.
Campaign: World map would sometimes stutter when holding rmb and looking around or when party started to move. Battles(in campaign) were unplayable(even with as few as 20 bots). Stuttery mess. Could not fight at all. Sieges...forget it.
Loading screens took one minute, sometimes more. Exiting from the game took 3 minutes and desktop froze for an additional two minutes. System restart required.

With 16gb: Custom battles are smooth.
Campaign: World map is very fluid now. Only have a little microfreeze every once in a while(like when loading back to map after town menu-probably due more to my HDD and fragmented to hell drive).
Battles are 1000% better and actually playable. It works smooth and no problems. It is enjoyable now.
Loading screens move faster. Exiting from game is immediate now. Desktop is immediately responsive. No system restart needed.

It seems in my case the ram fixed the game for me, at least for now. I didn't get a chance to play all that long, so I don't know if the slow memory leak will emerge as session play time increases, but I will find out in the coming days.
I changed nothing else except upgraded ram from 8 to 16 gb. Its a pretty old system that I was hoping I didn't have to replace in order to run game properly.
i7 [email protected]
gtx 950 2gb
HDD 1tb
win 7-64
16gb ddr3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom