[Guide] Optimising single-player performance - Stuttering? Got 8gb RAM? This might help

Users who are viewing this thread

I got a:

i5-3550
gtx1050ti
2 x 4gb ram 1600Mhz = 8ram
no SSD

And I finish process the hell of my PC before playing bannerlord...

GOD WHEN I ENTER THE ARENA
It was like everything around my character was warping in and out of reality was a weird experience.

I played with 2 screens on borderless and set all the video settings to low, the main screen was the game and in the other I had the task admin with the performance tab. My fps were around 23~30fps for a minute in the campaign map but after a minute my ram were consumed and my PC had to recycle the assets and adding the "entering" in a town or a fight my ram was always on the 7.8gb mark. But overall with less than low expentacy performance, it was playable. I'll follow some of the advice posted here seems like that might be, and yesterday I bought 8gb ddr3 ram on frustration, specting to play it with 12ram. The worst is when Im in a middle of a swing and it stagger finding out my swing missed due to lack of performance in wich the player cannot answer correctly to the enemy, its pretty infurating. But I don't blame the game, it is finally here.

Also with the performance tab at pair with the game I notice something about battles. The game relies a lot on RAM not so much on PC performance, because my 3rd gen i5 cores never went above 60% of their capacity, even on ~50vs50~ battles. My staggering always occurred the moment my PC had to recycle the RAM memory. And in battles all the cores (but logic ones) were around 30~50% and 50% only at the start of the battle, after that and ragdolls it stayed firmly on the 30% realm. The tavern, towns, transitions and ARENA (omg the arena is hell) were the only things that send my poor cores towards 60~70% usage

Last edited:
upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10

anytime i launch the game now it white screens before the initial loading screen, waits, displays the loading screen picture, loads for a sec, and then crashes with "BannerLordLauncher has stopped working"

anytime i launch the game now it white screens before the initial loading screen, waits, displays the loading screen picture, loads for a sec, and then crashes with "BannerLordLauncher has stopped working"
I'd suggest reinstalling the game if you haven't already

OMG THANK YOU, I was thinking of upgrading myselve to w10, I also have w7. Now I'll wait, thank you a lot for sharing this

I followed a few suggestions from this thread and got a little bit of improvement. What really improved performance for me was moving the game to my old HHD external. Stuttering more or less stopped entirely. Would suggest doing those sound fixes as well.

I followed a few suggestions from this thread and got a little bit of improvement. What really improved performance for me was moving the game to my old HHD external. Stuttering more or less stopped entirely. Would suggest doing those sound fixes as well.
What was the state of your internal hard drive? Do you know if it was significantly fragmented? Did you have it partitioned?

Also suffering of so much stuttering that the game is borderline unplayable (both SP, and MP to a slightly lesser extent). Game's on SSD and I have 8 GB RAM. What somewhat helped was reducing resolution from 144hz to 60hz (I don't know why) and capping framerate to 60, as well as using Memory Cleaner in the background. Still stutters, and a lot, but less than before to a point where if I'm not fighting myself it's playable.

Update: I had been experiencing all the stuttering issues a lot of others have. I could run custom battles with max battle size but the campaign was stuttering even in the practice tutorial.

I upgraded from 8GB DDR4 RAM to 32GB DDR4 and the campaign is completely playable now. Loading screens are still a bit longer than I'd like but I have the game on an HDD so I can't expect much else. I bought an SSD and I know that'll take care of the loading times I just wanted to do a test with the RAM upgrade before reinstalling to the SSD.

I noticed that my RAM is right around 8GB usage when playing, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (7-9GB range). So I think 16GB should suffice but I wanted to be safe.

I have to give my two-month salary to upgrade 32GB RAM lol

What was the state of your internal hard drive? Do you know if it was significantly fragmented? Did you have it partitioned?

Not sure about how fragmented it is, but it was about 80-90% full. Also I found out you can disable Steam webhelper after you launch the game through task manager for some extra RAM if you need. However I generally sit around 75-80% RAM usage. I noticed my task manager would shoot up to about 95% disk usage whenever I load into battles.

Like Malvado I also upgraded my ram, but only from 8GB to 16GB. This upgrade seems to have fixed any stuttering that I had before.

Okay its time to feedback. I did dissable sounds(enhancements), page-file thing virtual memory and no browser steam. Now i can play stable 70FPS on med settings. Sometimes, but really few, i get fps drops. Also it significantly boost my loading screen. Really it worked very well.

My specs;

Monster Abra A5 V9.2
I7 7700HQ 2.80-3500 4core
8GB DDR4-2400 1200MHz
GTX 1050Ti 4GB
250GB SSD -500 write/read

Also if there is a Turkish speaker, who is looking for solution ;

Im planning to upgrade my RAM to 16GB if dollar goes down lol.

@Morbo513 What about Nvidia control pannel customization? Did anyone try for best settings?

Also want to know if someone tried multiplayer without browser.

Last edited:
damn i bought my acer nitro 5 laptop a couple months ago specifically for this game and it struggles even on the lowest settings :sad:

GeForce GTX 1050
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz
8 gig ram

damn i bought my acer nitro 5 laptop a couple months ago specifically for this game and it struggles even on the lowest settings :sad:

GeForce GTX 1050
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz
8 gig ram
I’ve got the same specs as you, and yeah... it’s not great.

im tempted to get a 16gb ram upgrade tomorrow just to see if that’s going to make a massive difference.

has anyone upgraded yet and noticed a difference?

I5 4670k
8GB Ram 1600
RTX 2060 Super
SSD

Custom battle runs 60 fps (capped) on Max settings, evens sieges I get little to no FPS drop. This is even with 1000 troops.

Enters single player - massive lag spikes in small 8 vs 6 battles. Literally unplayable. Loading times are fine tho.

CPU and GPU usage never about 60%. Can only assume it’s Ram related or bad optimisation.

Intel Core I5-7500 3.40GHZ
8GB RAM
NVIDIA geforce GTX 1060 OC 6GB
Seagate BarraCuda, 1 To

Campaign battle are unplayable, even in VERY LOW. Gonna upgrade to 16GB in few days. Hope it will fix it.

I’ve got the same specs as you, and yeah... it’s not great.

im tempted to get a 16gb ram upgrade tomorrow just to see if that’s going to make a massive difference.

has anyone upgraded yet and noticed a difference?

Someone in that post already upgraded to 32 GB. Yeah it sounds like he had RAMorgasm and got good results.

Intel Core I5-7500 3.40GHZ
8GB RAM
NVIDIA geforce GTX 1060 OC 6GB
Seagate BarraCuda, 1 To

Campaign battle are unplayable, even in VERY LOW. Gonna upgrade to 16GB in few days. Hope it will fix it.

Your specs better than mine. Try to do page-file thin, no browser steam and turn of enchanments. I got no drops anymore.

I have gotten some improvement in Win 7 by plugging in a 64GB thumbdrive and activating Speed Boost. I set it for Windows to be able to use 32 GB in the thumbdrive. I think this helps Windows get out of the way a bit.

Back
Top Bottom