SP Native Grip My Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
3594-1641741467-58881629.jpeg

The 2h axes swing animations from the first time I saw them in Bannerlord, gave me the impression that it was not an axe but a baseball bat that was being wielded. In my opinion the current native animations for this type of weapon converge towards a grip more suitable for a 2h sword and it should not be so; but rather adopt the style of grip of a polearm.

Grip My Axe is a small tweak which changes the way two-handed axe handles and other oversized polearms are gripped and animated.
This tweak was born to implement what is described in this thread on the official Taleworlds forums.

Here is a comparison video Native vs Modified:

(*) Optional RMB compatible version available.

Download here

Last edited:
Yea, but as you strike with an axe, your choking hand slides down to the end so you get full range of motion.

Yea, but as you strike with an axe, your choking hand slides down to the end so you get full range of motion.
If you are going to hit something like a log with a long axe there should be no problem, however if you are going to hit another type of solid such as a moving human body or a horse coming towards you, you are going to have problems with the grip and eventually losing the weapon or worse, injuring yourself a leg or a team member.

One solution I decided not to apply is that one-handed short handle axes can be wielded two-handed; technically it's possible by adding a special item usage and editing the weapon descriptions in their respective xml. For the player it's wonderful because by pressing X you have the same axe with two uses; the same as when we use swords with 1h or 2h capacity.

The problem is with the AI; if the AI is equipped with a small 1-hand axe + shield + spear, the moment the shield breaks the bot AI decides that it is better to use the two-handed axe mode for melee combat. This can obviously lead to unbalanced troop trees and certain units taking on a role/function for which they were not intended.

How does this affect the functional length of the weapon? Is your animation slightly faster for these long axes?
Edit:
Specifically I mean is the wind up and recovery from the swing faster, as they should be with this wider grip since you wouldn't swing back so far. It does look like this is the case in those videos.
Also, does the game recognise that the swing path is shorter? Since axes are meant to do more damage at the head end I imagine this would make long two handed axes more effective in the close up melee. But I don't actually know how the game calculates whether the axe head or the shaft is making contact.

Last edited:
How does this affect the functional length of the weapon? Is your animation slightly faster for these long axes?
Edit:
Specifically I mean is the wind up and recovery from the swing faster, as they should be with this wider grip since you wouldn't swing back so far. It does look like this is the case in those videos.
Also, does the game recognise that the swing path is shorter? Since axes are meant to do more damage at the head end I imagine this would make long two handed axes more effective in the close up melee. But I don't actually know how the game calculates whether the axe head or the shaft is making contact.
Yes, the lateral swings are shorter with the tweak applied; but it is a very discreet shortening:

---
On the other hand... and to saving us time, the best you can do is to download the tweak and try it by yourself... in less than 2 minutes you can be playing it (File size 2KB) and testing it first hand :smile:.

Well I don't actually have BL installed atm so I think it might take a little longer than 2 minutes. I'll definitely add it to the collection of terco tweaks to implement next time I reinstall though.

I don't know... this version seems good to cut wood but not for fighting.
No, this would be good for cutting wood:

But that would not be optimal for fighting, as Terco explains:
If you are going to hit something like a log with a long axe there should be no problem, however if you are going to hit another type of solid such as a moving human body or a horse coming towards you, you are going to have problems with the grip and eventually losing the weapon or worse, injuring yourself a leg or a team member.

Why not just have a secondary melee mode that uses the other animations, like Warband did with Long Axes? Then you could swap between grip styles when you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom