Greeks Preview pgs 10 -> 12

Users who are viewing this thread

I know. Modding M&B is one of my few hobbies, the problem is I barely had the time to any hobbies at all for a long time. I just didn't want to be coming here for all this time and posting random stuff without working on the mod, nor say its dead because I knew I'd come back eventually. Anyway, I'm a bit quiet for two days because I've been busting my head over max, I've been having several compatibility issues with the new openbrf, I had to test several plugins and versions until I finally exported an smd into WB.

I'll be working on new items for a while and posting some screens as I go.

Lynores said:
I know. Modding M&B is one of my few hobbies, the problem is I barely had the time to any hobbies at all for a long time. I just didn't want to be coming here for all this time and posting random stuff without working on the mod, nor say its dead because I knew I'd come back eventually. Anyway, I'm a bit quiet for two days because I've been busting my head over max, I've been having several compatibility issues with the new openbrf, I had to test several plugins and versions until I finally exported an smd into WB.

I'll be working on new items for a while and posting some screens as I go.

Its good to hear.

Everyone had faith when some thought it was dead
Im pretty sure everyone has even more faith with your return

Good luck and cant wait to see the new screens!

Thanks. Now that I got openbrf working, I'm actually amazed at how easier it is to do stuff now. I've just done 5 new rigged armors this morning. Things I've been postponing due to being time consuming a couple years back.

This is a testing texture assigned to a prototype model for Persia. The modded tuareg is a placeholder. This is something I thought some time ago, I had to try to minimize the clipping in the legs/boots area so I could map the mesh straight enough to texture those patterns decently. I liked the result, there almost no clipping and they can hardly be seen except when there's light very close to the meshes and a little during animations, yet possible to improve through better rigging.

Wow, the port is looking great, Lynores. I don't think I was here when you took your leave of absence, but I read up on the subject and played your mod during that time, so I'm happy about your return. Good to have you back!

Nice textures.

But you did those screens in the tavern? I've heard somebaody said that the tavern light is not proper and some texture stuff won't show it as it should look in game. Especially the shinyness.  Better not to take pictures in the taverns if you want to see how you're texture will look.

I dont like working with whites, to be honest. To keep it plain white, the best option is to use a high polygon, very detailed model on a modern engine, like we see in that assassins creed's one. If you put too much detail texture-wise on a white layout it will become gray for the most part, like native does. I have yet to test white textures on different shaders and normals, though, perhaps there are ways to make it better for mount&blade.

EDIT:

Persian cavalry. Work in progress. The armor fits fine with no clipping or weird animations. The unit's neckguard was left out on purpose because it does not fit the timeframe.

EDIT2:

Dont bother about the wings, I just realized I used a wrong layer before exporting the texture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1) the wings of the horse armour are way too big imo.
2) the armour could have the scale collar and the helmet looks quite "native MaB"

I don't want to be just a criticizing bastard, it's great to see the Persians getting some love!

Merlkir:

Hello again, mate. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't want to be just a criticizing bastard, it's great to see the Persians getting some love!

Not at all, that's exactly why I'm posting screenshots.

Calathar:

If I get enough reference material, absolutely. The problem is that I have very few references for the new factions.

EDIT:
The helmet is a placeholder, by the way.

Merkilr's right here's a pic that should help with the sizing. I should have given it to you to begin with really.

img011ub9.jpg

Its quite hard to make out since the tomb has been damaged but the thigh protecters (known as the Parameridia) extend from just below the hip to just above the ankle. They also don't extend much further back than the leg as it was really only protection from frontal and partially side attacks that it gave.

The texture is perfect though, and I love the riders armour. Especially the left arm's armour guard!

As for the collar, I told Lynores not to go with the full neck brace effect because there isn't any evidence for it in the Persian cavalry. The reconstruction (and many others) are working off of a text from Xenophon (On Horsemanship, chapter 12) in which he recommends a throat guard that covers the whole neck. But the Persian imagery only gives us cuirasses which have rear neck protectors like so

pers2.jpg

Even then these are rare and not used in the scale armour vests. These neck protected cuirasses are more likely extended variants of the linthorax probably reinforced with scales like many of the Greek models.

There are other images of the rear neck prtected cuirass but this, now lost, frieze shows what some have identified as a frontal throat guard

namenlosnj1.jpg

It is however extremely difficult to say with any certainty that this is a piece of armour rather than a piece of cloth. However the Helmet is a good reference picture and if there is a rear neck protected cuirass made for the mod then it ought to at least have cloth across the throat.

In all, excellent stuff! I can't wait to see how astronomically expensive these horses are :razz:

Now, that was one exagerated horse armor.  :lol:

I'll fix that. Also, I'll try to extend the rider's left arm guard down to cover his hand. It's doable, just takes some testing.

EDIT:

Persian cavalry revised #1

Modified the crest and armor size. I can add that armor to other horses as well, so we don't see just black ones for the heavy cavalry.

Again, feel free to bash anything. I don't mind at all going back and forth for a better result.

EDIT2:

I'll be editing the main post with the final pictures for the port.

Better side view:

Rider's armor revised #1

Right sleeve rescaled, left arm guard extending down to reach the hand.

To be honest, the scale on the horse looks still a bit exaggerated. It is up to people's personal taste, though.

And not being an expert, but I was under the impression that if horse armour appeared during that timeframe it would be largely single layers of scale protecting chest and, in rare cases, croup of the horse. Nothing fancy like it is done here.

Thanks for the input, mate. I've done the scales according to the reference material. I am waiting for Rez's opinion before moving along with Persia, though. I am a blatant ignorant in that regard.

Yeah, I've seen the reference picture earlier in this thread. But this specific designed horse armor seems to be a unique piece for a general or satrap, if it is real. But I can only tell this from the bulk of material I have seen so far about Achaemenid Persia, of course.

Back
Top Bottom