Greek phalanx?

Users who are viewing this thread

DarkAnd

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Abou the phalanx, I would like to know what are you planning about the greeks, they will keep has they are, or they will get biger spears (3 meters) and will get a phalanx too?
Just some troutghs, however, half the factions will have phalanx, while others like sarmatians romans and gauls, will have what? romans can make a big square but they need to charge againts the phalanx to be able to reach them, while the barbarians will suck even more, since they don't have the defence of the romans.
just some troughs.
EDIT: I guess this should have gone into the sarisa acess discusion, sorry.

Well, Sarmatians will always have horse archers.

The "barbarian" and Roman factions will still have their precursor weapons to help balance out the fighting styles

I may do something along the lines such as make a reform via quest for the Hellenic Cities. This could represent the introduction of Iphikrate Hoplites for that faction.

Whata are precursor weapons?
Yes forget 2 dammed treaths, if you want I close this and copy/paste my questions on the sarisa anyone topic.

ealabor said:
Well, Sarmatians will always have horse archers.

The "barbarian" and Roman factions will still have their precursor weapons to help balance out the fighting styles

I may do something along the lines such as make a reform via quest for the Hellenic Cities. This could represent the introduction of Iphikrate Hoplites for that faction.

By the time period when Alexander was around,I think the reforms have been made.I think the Iphicratian hoplite had an Linothorax cuirass,12 foot spear,smaller round shield and a thracian helm.Thus the hoplite could be as mobile as other units.

you mean hoplite phalanx not greek(because i am greek and my country have many problems with unhistoricary countries,fyrom).this old spears is good leght.maybe use them with upper arm.hoplite phalanx have more personal fights than macedonian.

The phalanx was an fearsome formation but wasnt very versatile. Thats why many of the petzetairoy were trained also as skirmishers and shock troops and not only as phalangites and thats why the successor countrys developed more versatile units like the thurephoroi (sp) and recruited mercenarys from other countrys to counter the phalanx lack of versatily (thracians, galatians, etc). The greek cities should had one reform to give them Iphicratian hoplites (phalangite like, but with an larger thuerophos shield, I think) but I would play with mainly the heavyest classical hoplite anyway as I love the fighting style and will give you more tactical freedom than the slow monster that is the phalanx.
The romans and the other western factions like the gauls or iberians still have the more versatile fighting tactics and even an unit of elite ayrgaspaspitai (sp) will have a lot of problems with javelins raining from all sides.

And try fighting horse archers and catraphacts with only phalangites... For some reason the Backtrians had to create their own horse archers forces and to recruit lots of steppe mecenarys to fight nomad enemys like the Saka Rauka....

To be honest,I think you should be able to play as an traditional hoplite with an breastplate and a helm appropiate to the period,(no corinthians please) or the new form of lighter hoplites.

Lusitan is right, the phalanx was favourable in many conditions but its limited mobility and terrain requirements made it extremely difficult to use, and it could only be effectively deployed on perfectly flat ground. Maneuverable troops will always beat a phalanx if used correctly.

Augustus said:
Lusitan is right, the phalanx was favourable in many conditions but its limited mobility and terrain requirements made it extremely difficult to use, and it could only be effectively deployed on perfectly flat ground. Maneuverable troops will always beat a phalanx if used correctly.

Depends on the hoplites,as I said,the hoplites were reformed and made into a lighter hoplite,able to move more quickly and react to situations more quickly.

could the aspis be rotated or moved a bit so they can see when they hold it up?

Charidemus said:
But will LME or anything related get phalanxes in future versions???

IF you mean formation wise then yes, kinda, there's wedge line and ranks formations coming to LME as far as I know, and with enough people making a ranks formation is pretty much a phalanx as far as the engine can do (i.e still can't swing or stab your weapon with your shield raised)

Back
Top Bottom