Great turns of fortune

Users who are viewing this thread

Currently in my game I am a vassal of the Empire and we have Sarleon, Laria and Avendor (although they were taken before I was a member) but since the start things have fallen flat for the Empire and this is because of the snake cult. Up until 30 minutes ago they had 3 massive snake cult armies (669, 980 and 1081) and the dread legion (780) bossing around doing everything they can to ruin the Empire. Their numbers are so great that the Empire Lords cannot do anything about them and I cannot do anything about them, at least until I have a castle and time to strengthen.

I was getting resigned to the fact that they would be ruining our work until I am able to deal with them which would most likely have been much much later but just now I caught a Barclay army (150 men) taking on the 669 party snake cult army. I thought I would jump into help them as Barclay mercenaries are tough and I have some tough troops myself....

All I can say is that Barclay armies are amazing!  :shock: :shock: with our powers combined (more rep to them) we butchered the snake cult army completely and utterly. Then from the prisoners I was able to reach my troop limit of 191 with the vast majority of the troops being top tier (26 Empire knights and 10 legionnaire recruits being my greatest touch) so my army is now a force.

The Barclay army is now 600 strong with about 120 of Barclay troops as well as hundreds of strong Empire troops (including 25 Empire Knights of their own) and I had just made friends with them  :grin:. Now I am thinking that this 600 strong army and my 191 high tier army could take on any of the remaining big armies in the Empire and win right now  :grin:

Sure enough the Barclay army turns away and heads up to the area between Ethos and Cez where the 3 remaining armies are. I head to Singal to recuprate my wounded and see Ramun.

I was extremely happy at the outcome and I just started laughing when I saw another 150 strong Barclay army heading up the same way as the other  :lol: :lol: I could not believe my luck. My new best friends and after one 20 minute battle I went from thinking I wouldn't be able to sort them out for ages to a place where they could all vanish quickly if these Barclay armies and myself can hit them head on. This would leave the Empire clear for the lords and the economy to strengthen again as we have been weak in the field for ages with low army numbers.

Anyway I felt compelled to tell the story as I couldn't believe my luck. Have you ever had similar out of the blue turn of events which have completely changed your fortune and turned the tide in your favour?

u lucky bugger sounds brill, and yeh i pretty much always hire those barclays in taverns when i see them, i would even kick troops out of ym party to accomodate them. havent seen any serious barclay armies int h field though and ive played about 1000+ days combined on all my characters. :sad:

I've never actually used Barclay guys, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. I think I did manage to beat a Conquistador group once, but I can't remember what with.

I've used the help of the Mettenheim guys to kill off Jatu armies. We were up in the mountains...suffice it to say, the Jatu had no chance.

And although Empire Knights are cool, methinks that apart from the javelins they're not quite as powerful as other cavalry. Same goes with Legionnaires - they are good, but not great. The upside is that you often manage to recruit a lot of them as prisoners (and the fact that Empire Knights can be recruited as prisoners at all).

I love Barclay troops. I'll collect them every chance I get. I had in one game about 150 mixed Barclay crossbow and infantry and they were just amazing. You mix them with your regular ranged and infantry troops. I call this sort of thing 'anchoring'. You mix in some top-tier specialty or even companion class troops (I put Siggy in with my archer line and Freddy in with my infantry line) and you'll find the effectiveness and survivability of even your weaker units grows exponentially. They'll protect and cover each other and stronger units (like, say, Barclay Marksmen or Sigismund) in among your archers will do a great job in preventing your more fragile archers from being overrun by enemy infantry or cavalry.

I am actually thinking about changing my mind about KoTEG and having a mounted type for my honour troop. Barclay troops may be weaker than them but they seem to have the same kind of staying power.

The coolest thing happened the other day.
In the game I`m playing atm, I started out a Pendor Kingdom and am slowly progressing.
By now got Laria, Marleons, Avendor and Sarleon under my rule.
And the steward from Marleons called me for intervention and offered Barclay army to join me for 10k Denars.
There was also an option to give them 12k and I did that, ending up with about 120-130 combined Barclay Footman and Sapper, but also 3 Conquistadors (which I haven`t seen yet spawn in taverns for hire).
So yeah, pretty awesome for measly 12k.
:mrgreen:

That's quality Grotesque. That Barclay army and your army maxed should be enough to take down any special spawn in the game. You could go and get yourself a qualis gem for that 10K as well  :wink:

Nameless Warrior said:
Currently in my game I am a vassal of the Empire and we have Sarleon, Laria and Avendor (although they were taken before I was a member) but since the start things have fallen flat for the Empire and this is because of the snake cult. Up until 30 minutes ago they had 3 massive snake cult armies (669, 980 and 1081) and the dread legion (780) bossing around doing everything they can to ruin the Empire. Their numbers are so great that the Empire Lords cannot do anything about them and I cannot do anything about them, at least until I have a castle and time to strengthen.

I was getting resigned to the fact that they would be ruining our work until I am able to deal with them which would most likely have been much much later but just now I caught a Barclay army (150 men) taking on the 669 party snake cult army. I thought I would jump into help them as Barclay mercenaries are tough and I have some tough troops myself....

All I can say is that Barclay armies are amazing!  :shock: :shock: with our powers combined (more rep to them) we butchered the snake cult army completely and utterly. Then from the prisoners I was able to reach my troop limit of 191 with the vast majority of the troops being top tier (26 Empire knights and 10 legionnaire recruits being my greatest touch) so my army is now a force.

The Barclay army is now 600 strong with about 120 of Barclay troops as well as hundreds of strong Empire troops (including 25 Empire Knights of their own) and I had just made friends with them  :grin:. Now I am thinking that this 600 strong army and my 191 high tier army could take on any of the remaining big armies in the Empire and win right now  :grin:

Sure enough the Barclay army turns away and heads up to the area between Ethos and Cez where the 3 remaining armies are. I head to Singal to recuprate my wounded and see Ramun.

I was extremely happy at the outcome and I just started laughing when I saw another 150 strong Barclay army heading up the same way as the other  :lol: :lol: I could not believe my luck. My new best friends and after one 20 minute battle I went from thinking I wouldn't be able to sort them out for ages to a place where they could all vanish quickly if these Barclay armies and myself can hit them head on. This would leave the Empire clear for the lords and the economy to strengthen again as we have been weak in the field for ages with low army numbers.

Anyway I felt compelled to tell the story as I couldn't believe my luck. Have you ever had similar out of the blue turn of events which have completely changed your fortune and turned the tide in your favour?

sounds cool lol, so far (i'm a merc from ravenstern, the juta and high mountan armies are walking through the lands but the aint inflicting alot of dammage (happely) i pick off most "scouts" in order to get the xp, tobad i just encountered an party of 60 noldor wich reduced my army from 130 to 100 still got alot of prisoners out of ti :grin: can't wait to clear those buggers of armies out :p

Nameless Warrior said:
That's quality Grotesque. That Barclay army and your army maxed should be enough to take down any special spawn in the game. You could go and get yourself a qualis gem for that 10K as well  :wink:

The problem is there are only 2 unique spawns roaming around as a part of other kings armies as mercenaries..
:/
Gotta think it through.

I remember when I bumped into a huge Jatu Army near Laria and just legged it.

Suddenly a large Noldor Patrol full of Rangers, Twilight Knights and several 'liberated' troops (rescued prisoners) and they went smack into the Jatu Army, it was the 150 Noldor against the 800 or so Jatu, I jumped in with my 150 or so Empire Troops (a few Knights, legionnaires and foot soldiers) and managed to kick some ass :wink:

Good old Noldor! They just gun down the cavalry and then close in to finish off the now dismounted troops with lances which are useless at Melee, I used my infantry to help plug any gaps.

I have just done a pretty downright dishonourable and despicable thing to my new Barclay allies. Considering what they did for me before they deserved better but I had to let my own interests flourish.

Basically like before a 186 man Barclay army took on a 1061 snake cult army (I was suprised as no way would they win) but I jumped in with my 190 man army which had some great troops in it. After 3 rounds we were down to our last hundred (although I deliberately keep my hero adventurers and jatu at the bottom to come last) and most of their 300 serpent and anaconda knights were dead.

In the end they were down to just 40 anaconda knights and 400 armsmen/followers. We could have won (maybe) but it would have been close. Then I consider the fact that there are loads of Barclay wounded in this battle so maybe I don't want to win  :shock:

So I left the battle leaving just 8 Barclay troops to fight the remaining 600. They lost and 88 Barclay troops become prisoners and the snake cult army is pretty much 600 fodder troops so I can now restock come back and finish them off and acquire myself a Barclay army through prisoners.

I must admit I don't normally play like this, I like to be honourable but I couldn't let this opportunity get away.

Barclay are great on the early stage of the game, but after I prefer order knights... on my day 250 ravenstern and fierdswain are now part of pendor empire, and my 150 griffin knights army crashes anything on its way.... (metteinhem, eyegrim and viscavi armies - one after the other only 6 dead altogether) have to admit thou i play on easy for campaign ai and medium for battle ai

Back
Top Bottom