Version number
e1.5.9.267291
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

CarterEinarr

Recruit
Summary: Graphics card crashing when playing the game for more than a few minutes. Either in scrolling the map, beginning a battle or viewing some of the interface screens (party etc). This can happen a minute into the game or sometimes after I have moved around the campaign map for a few minutes, but taking any action causes the game to crash the graphics card. My computer itself continues to play background music but I get the windows alert tone and the screen goes to black with the usual "no signal" appearing on screen and I have to do a hard restart on my computer.

I have trawled the web and support pages making tweaks to my system, updating drivers and setting every feature in the game to either off/none/very low but this has not resolved the issue. Appreciate this is in beta access and so may not be fully optimised yet but hopefully someone can help me sort through this.

How to Reproduce: Varied instances of just trying to play the game.
Have you used cheats and if so which: N/A
Scene Name (if related):N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video):Unavailable due to nature of crash
Computer Specs:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
GPU Driver Version: 466.11 (04/14/2021)
CPU: i7-3770k 3.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard:
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): HDD

A possible fix for GPU Crashes​

If your PC has two different GPU adapters (Intel and Nvidia for example) or the game keeps crashing on GPU side players can change the graphics adapter that the game uses. This setting can also be changed in the in-game options menu.
  • Locate “engine_config.txt” file at "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs" open it and find graphics_adapter value and change it to 0

A possible fix for GPU Crashes​

If your PC has two different GPU adapters (Intel and Nvidia for example) or the game keeps crashing on GPU side players can change the graphics adapter that the game uses. This setting can also be changed in the in-game options menu.
  • Locate “engine_config.txt” file at "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs" open it and find graphics_adapter value and change it to 0
  • A possible fix for GPU Crashes​

I only have the 1 GPU so when i checked the above file it was already set to 0. Thanks for the insight though.
Tried to play the game a few more times today but it crashes after about five minutes, only different this time is it just closes the game and takes me to the desktop, not exactly an improvement and no log/dump file created so the saga of a fix continues.

Were you able to see the crash uploader tool? If you can upload your crash to us we can check it out. Please don't forget to copy the Crash ID and write it here so that we can find it.
More info about the crash uploader tool can be found here.
Have you checked out these threads about our Crash Checklist and Common Issues and Workarounds? They can help you find a solution as well.
Yes I had sent two of those crash dump files but I will admit I did not take note of the identifier to know I should have copied it, I have just uploaded the most recent save I have. The main point here though is that due to the nature of the crash which makes the screen go to black I would not often know if a log/dump file is created as I have to do a hard restart of my machine, and many times it restarts itself to the blue screen about a stop code error, then the machine restarts multiple times to a different stop code before finally resuming normal operation.

Yes I had sent two of those crash dump files but I will admit I did not take note of the identifier to know I should have copied it, I have just uploaded the most recent save I have. The main point here though is that due to the nature of the crash which makes the screen go to black I would not often know if a log/dump file is created as I have to do a hard restart of my machine, and many times it restarts itself to the blue screen about a stop code error, then the machine restarts multiple times to a different stop code before finally resuming normal operation.
What is the bluescreen error message?

I went through everything in the crash checklist and common issues and workarounds pages, went back into the game and managed to play a solid 20minutes, just a couple of battles with looters and then it crashed as i ended a battle. This time created a dump file and made a note of it before sending on:
2021-04-21_12.33.09_be46953a4d47f2eedc061bf3553d6e48
Also I just uploaded my save file, it is from directly before the battle of which I engaged completed and the caused the most recent crash.

What is the bluescreen error message?
Hi, its the so called "blue screen of death" the stopcode error message was
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, it comes up a couple of times, collects the error info and restarts my machine a couple of times, before then going back to normal and letting me login to the computer.

Gone through everything in the common errors checklist and change all the settings to lowest but it still crashed. Also removed and re-installed the game, after another couple hours of downloaded and re-installing I started the game again but it looks like it kept my saves even though I deleted the folders in all locations. Played the game on higher settings for a few minutes, fought a small brigand group then it crashed when I moved across the map again. This time got a dump file to upload crash report id - 2021-04-21_20.04.34_be46953a4d47f2eedc061bf3553d6e48.
Please can someone look at this I want to know if there is something I need to do or if this is a bug waiting to be fixed?

Hi, its the so called "blue screen of death" the stopcode error message was
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, it comes up a couple of times, collects the error info and restarts my machine a couple of times, before then going back to normal and letting me login to the computer.
Can you download the 64 bit version of the program, and post a screenshot after you open it?

Can you do the below?
  1. Launch the game.
  2. After it crashes, open the program Event Viewer.
  3. On the left, expand "Windows Logs" and then "Application".
  4. All the way to the right, Click "Filter Current Log".
  5. By "Logged", choose the "Custom range" option.
  6. Switch the "To" option to "Events On" and hit "OK"
  7. Check the boxes "Critical", "Warning", and "Error", and hit OK.
  8. All the way to the right, Click "Save Filtered Log File As".
  9. Name the file whatever you want and upload it to Google Drive.

Can you do the below?
  1. Launch the game.
  2. After it crashes, open the program Event Viewer.
  3. On the left, expand "Windows Logs" and then "Application".
  4. All the way to the right, Click "Filter Current Log".
  5. By "Logged", choose the "Custom range" option.
  6. Switch the "To" option to "Events On" and hit "OK"
  7. Check the boxes "Critical", "Warning", and "Error", and hit OK.
  8. All the way to the right, Click "Save Filtered Log File As".
  9. Name the file whatever you want and upload it to Google Drive.
Crazy when i want it to crash to get a log i get a couple hours gameplay, but then finally finish a big battle looking forward to the loot and it crashes, here is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/18mUjv_3_a6UVvrqSpgwumX9J9Rr8ulRU/view?usp=sharing
Just for posterity it now failed multiple times so that helps me have more crash log i guess lol

Last edited:
Can you uninstall all .net frameworks and install the below one?

If this doesn't fix it run Windows Memory Diagnostics.
I uninstalled all the NET frameworks listed under the C drive, but when I run the 4.7.2 installer it tells me I already have that or a higher version installed? I checked my NET Framework registry "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client" and the register version under Release is (528372), and the version id is listed as 4.8.04084.
Also I saw a post this morning about chkdisk but cant now see it in this trail, I ran it took about an hour and a half to complete.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!
Tried Windows Memory Diagnostic but it stopped halfway through, left for about 18hours and didn't complete so that didn't work.
I dived into the blue screen errors a bit more because computer was now crashing without even playing or starting the game, turns out something was screwing with my paging file. So I went and changed the setting on my paging file size changing from automatic to manual on my C drive and that fixed it, previously is was 16GB now its around 7GB, no more crashes and played about 40 hours of the game, battles, sieges and defences with no issues. I am starting to slowly increase the graphics settings and have been able to have a battle with 1000 troops so this issue can be closed now. Hopefully the game gets optimized and I can set all my graphics to high in the future but for now all good, time to go conquer the map!!!
-Thanks to all on this thread who posted help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom