Grand Strategy Games

Users who are viewing this thread

This thread is about Grand Strategy Games, like Hearts of Iron I and II, Europa Universalis I, II, and III, etc.

Tell about your campaigns, ask for advice, or just discuss them.

Currently, I'm playing Europa Universalis II's Grand Campaign as England. It's January 14th, 1444, and I've annexed Scotland and most of Ireland (Portugal owns Ulster o_O). My allies are the Burgundians, who own most of inner France, and have declared themselves the "sole defender of the faith". I'm wondering what my next move should be. I don't really have much interest in mainland Europe. It looks too crowded down there.

1444bs7.jpg

I'd say Total War games are more about tactics on the battlefield than Grand Strategy, but I'm sure there's plenty of Grand Strategy involved off the battlefield.

What games would you recommend? I've been looking for games like this, and I don't know what would be a good one to start with.

In Total War, it is more like "Hmm, should I march northwest or northeast?". There is hardly diplomacy (and no system of punishing traitors), economy consists of mass-producing roads and farms, and overall there are few choices of the EU kind (Should I colonize or trade? Should I absorb my enemies, annex them, or bully nearby countries out of some provinces? Should I support the Protestants or the Catholics? Should support serfdom? Individualism? Mercantilism? Free trade?).

Guan_Chung said:
What games would you recommend? I've been looking for games like this, and I don't know what would be a good one to start with.

Europa Universalis II is great, but it's a bit difficult to get used to. Really steep learning curve. On the bright side, you can play as pretty much ANY nation in the world that existed between 1418-1818.

I just got it yesterday, and I'm loving it.

Okey, I'll tell you about my Polish(I think) campaign in Hearts of Iron II, the year is 1944, I send all my armies to Russia, Germany attacks me with her tanks, I lose all my provinces while my armies are fighting on the east, year 1945 campaign ends.

EUIII isn't even on the comptuer system for Futureshop yet, i checked yesterday >_< GAH! IT WAS RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA IN JANUARY TWENTY-THIRD! THEN DEAYED BECAUSE OF VISTA! IT'S SUPPOSED TO ALREADY BE HERE MARCH TWELF! GAHHHH!
[me=Sir Prince]riots[/me]

Ehem. I have been playing the EUIII demo and have quite enjoyed it.

Well, that campaign is over :/

After deciding to support the Yorkists in the War of the Roses, my country goes into such disarray and chaos that EVERY month at least 2 rebel armies pop up. Wales, Lancaster, and Anglia (London ffs) were taken by the rebels WITHOUT sieges, and I couldn't churn out armies quick enough to retake them. It was endless. Holy ****.

I played EUIII. Its excellent but something you have to be in just the right mood for.  I find the greatest challenge is playing as a non-european or sticking to the fringes of europe. Norway is good fun.

ArabArcher35 said:
Well, that campaign is over :/

After deciding to support the Yorkists in the War of the Roses, my country goes into such disarray and chaos that EVERY month at least 2 rebel armies pop up. Wales, Lancaster, and Anglia (London ffs) were taken by the rebels WITHOUT sieges, and I couldn't churn out armies quick enough to retake them. It was endless. Holy ****.

England is the easiest country IMO. Just go for all the compromise solutions and expand heavily in the new world. For a challenge, try the turks.

Oh god, don't get me started on my Turkish campaign. I need to learn to press Pause more, and maybe I won't get my ass kicked by kurds so often.

Ah, good to see your likeing it :grin:

My advice, for england, would have been to just hold on to what you've got, increase your tech level, money, economy and defenses. In it's current state, Europe wasn't too bad (eg, half of france split, spain still two countries), it wouldn't be too hard to slowly wipe them all out.

I played it again, now I know how to play it...currently I've only cheated for testing purposes, still want to learn everything, but it seems really fun.

I just got 2 questions:

1. Can you take over a province without peace? If so, how?

2. How do you make your reputation better?

how do I get more money :O

I restarted my english campaign, and I hate losing Northumberland to Scotland within a few months. Their 20000+ man army can kick the snot out of anything I have. I'm losing about 6 ducats/month, and I need to build up my forces quickly to retake Northumberland before those Scottish bastards can take it by siege.

Edit: Don't say take out a loan, please ;_;

Edit Edit: I love the grammar of this game. "Wessex are revolting!"

Edit Edit Edit: Why does Burgundy always spread so fast? France's future doesn't look very good o_O

Here's some sdvice if you want land of a nation that is your vasal and has a 200 rating with you (without the stability drop and without the loss of a single man) :
Get to the diplomacy screen with that nation and press "annex" :lol: If they don't agree, then reload your game and try again or just go to war. It is worth a shot, though.

Back
Top Bottom