Grab 3D models from any openGL/DirectX apps

Users who are viewing this thread

Buzcatcher

Regular
Yes, I know, I had to read it again to wrap my mind around it too. It's as simple as using printscreen they say, although I 've not tested it yet (nor with M&B, I'll give it a shot when going back from work), it might worth a shot for those of us who'd like to study the wireframe of 3D game models.

No 3D skills required. Everyone can now save and share 3D models, it is as simple as classical print screen usage.

All on screen visible 3D shapes and textures can be saved. This is similar to the classical 2D print screen.

Seems almost too good to be true.  :mrgreen:

http://www.3dvia.com/software/printscreen/

Certainly looks interesting and if it works well it could open up all sorts of great possibilities :twisted:

While I am sure there is nothing illegal about the software itself the applications for it are of questionable legality in many cases. I wonder if some developers/publishers might put pressure on the company that makes this tool, or just by them out and quash it? You might want to DL this while the DLing is good  :wink:

Haven't tried it yet but I can imagine grabbing geometry and textures should be possible. I wonder if it supports such things as UV mapping coordinates, bump maps, specular maps, etc.. Even without these features though it would still be a very useful tool  :wink:

If this is true, then I might be able to do my mod as a one man show after all! :grin:

P.S. Still need help actually xD

Wow... I'm surprised, but this actually works! I tried it in M&B, fired up the tutorial and hit 'F10'.

It seems to have a few problems with Oblivion, and BMW M3 Challenge crashes completely, but still...

Just sneak a signature on your model, or better yet in the code for the model so that it wouldn't effect the model at all but know where to look and the maker can be easily identified.

Meh... insofar as the mods are not for profit, there's very few licensing issues. Many games nowadays have the models in the installation directory anyway, and with a little bit of work it's not hard to reverse-engineer these assets (if they happen to be in a proprietary format), so it's more or less a moot point.

I would never just outright steal a model for use anyway. But I would use someone else's model for guides within 3dsmax. Building a model from scratch is a 1000 times faster and easier if you have another model to work around. Not editing the original model, but building a new model around the original and then deleting the original. Things like "snap to vertex" are marvelous when you have a detailed model to "snap to".

I don't see this as cheating really. You have to be a pretty good modeler to get good results this way. I could make the same model anyway, it would just take me longer so this is just a big time saver.

Makrond said:
Meh... insofar as the mods are not for profit, there's very few licensing issues. Many games nowadays have the models in the installation directory anyway, and with a little bit of work it's not hard to reverse-engineer these assets (if they happen to be in a proprietary format), so it's more or less a moot point.

Which we hate. Mods with stolen stuff in them don't last long around here.

There are a number of programs which have similar functionality.  If your interested, you may want to try out this one that I've been working on recently:

http://www.sandboxsoftware.com.au/directx_explorer

It has a lot of other features for DirectX debugging and analysis as well, but if you hit Ctrl-Z to enter the frame debugger, then hit Ctrl-D it will go through the frame and dump it to an Obj file.  You can also right click textures used in the frame and save them out as well.  It places everything in <app dir>/DXExplorer

The scene dumping is pretty under developed (I've been focusing on all the other features - scene dumping is just a minor part of what the tool is for) but it somewhat worked with M&B last time I checked.  It's not really likely to work with very many other games though.

You can always use BRFEdit to get content out of M&B anwyay :wink:

linehand said:
What do you need help with?

A lot of things, best not ask, I just started modding (i.e. completely new to modding)
Ambitious project, but as they say... "learn to swim in the deep end" eh?

Thanks for this Thorgrim, while specific to Direct X it seems to offer more, far more indeed. I'll give it a try this week-end.  :cool:

Back
Top Bottom