Need More Info GPU speeds skyrocket when launching the game which leads to full-on crash

Users who are viewing this thread

Saturn666

Recruit
I'm using a GTX770 and have been having a problem since buying Bannerlord yesterday wherein the game crashes my computer immediately after reaching the first screen where you're able to adjust contrast, brightness, etc. This isn't a problem that is unfamiliar to me, since I've had an issue with my GPU speed in the past which led to the same kind of crash I'm experiencing with Bannerlord, however, I have fixed this issue for the most part, so I'm a bit frustrated to see it return only when I try to play this game. Since I just made this forum account, I am unable to post a link to a video I recorded of this happening, but basically, using MSI Afterburner I can see that my Core Clock and Memory Clock go from 135 MHz and 324 MHz respectively when idling and booting up the game, to 1,150+ and 3,500+ as soon as I reach the aforementioned screen, which results in an immediate crash of my screen driver, forcing me to manually reboot my PC which becomes unresponsive to any form of input.

I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting this issue, but I know that this type of crash isn't uncommon, as there are many threads across the internet of people experiencing this type of crash with certain games, particularly those who use GTX GPUs such as myself. The game where this kind of crash is most common seems to be Guild Wars 2, and it only happens to people with "newer" GPUs.

Anyway, I figured I would just try to make the devs aware of this peculiar issue, and see if anyone else is experiencing something similar. It's pretty frustrating to not be able to play a game I've paid for, but I will personally try to underclock my GPU since that has been shown to help sometimes, although it's a bit annoying to have to do something like this just to be able to play one specific game.

EDIT 1:
I was able to get the game to run without crashing my PC after unclocking my GPU as low as it could go (-105 MHz), which obviously isn't great. Another concerning thing is how high the GPU temperature goes after just a couple minutes, passing beyond 90 degrees, which makes me pretty uneasy about actually playing the game, though I intend on testing out the game itself to see if it's just the menu screen that causes issues or the entire game.

EDIT 2:
I'm able to play the game without crashes whenever I underclock my GPU as much as it'll let me (-105 MHz), but the GPU usage is maxed out for the majority of the playtime, with certain scenes, like inventory, vendors, and party UI not drawing as much. The GPU temp is fluctuating between 80-95 degrees for the entire duration, which isn't exactly great. It seems like something is requiring an absurd amount of processing power, though I can't really tell what and easing my underclock even slightly results in a crash.

Last edited:
have you had a look at this thread? did it offer any help?

if not, whats your OS?

have you had a look at this thread? did it offer any help?

if not, whats your OS?
I have downloaded all of those, and they don't seem to make any difference in terms of performance.

My OS is Windows 8.1.

I've been able to play the game uninterrupted for a couple hours, though the GPU usage is basically maxed 80% of the time and the game will instantly crash as soon as I lift the ridiculous underclocking just slightly. It's pretty crazy that the game is using up so much of my GPU, so I have to wonder if there's something which isn't optimised that well and draws a lot of processing power somehow.

I've noticed the launcher doesn't disappear after the game has been launched and is taking up quite a lot of memory. I doubt that's what's causing this particular issue, but I feel like it could be anything, honestly.

thanks. could you confirm you are having the save problems after:

starting the game from the exe in steam/steamapps/common/bannerlordd/bin/win64/bannerlord.exe (not the native or BE one just bannerlord.exe.)

Also when in game switch to windowed mode in graphics/video or switch to windowed mode by changing your configengine.txt in documents/bannerlord/config

thanks. could you confirm you are having the save problems after:

starting the game from the exe in steam/steamapps/common/bannerlordd/bin/win64/bannerlord.exe (not the native or BE one just bannerlord.exe.)

Also when in game switch to windowed mode in graphics/video or switch to windowed mode by changing your configengine.txt in documents/bannerlord/config
Yep, I've tried all of those, and they don't seem to change anything. It's more than likely a novel performance issue specific to my GPU, though which is only triggered by this game.

Hello, thanks for reporting this problem. Unfortunately, we were unable to respond to this thread when it was first created. We believe the issue may have been resolved since the creation of this topic. If you are currently experiencing this issue with the latest live or beta versions of the game, please update this thread so we can forward this issue to the team for investigation.

Back
Top Bottom