Gotta love the new tournaments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwraith #5 said:
The new tournaments are awesome, but the horsemen-only ones need bigger arenas, badly. It's awfully crowded, especially in the early rounds with lots of combatants.
Yup. For example lancer battles; aren't the combatants supposed to run in arches and try to make use of their lance?
Now they run into wall and start poking each other. Maybe one or two runs an arch, then the poking is on again.

Collie said:
I'm also still slightly disappointed about the embarrassing mis-matched final rounds. I feel a bit bad if I'm mounted with a lance and my poor foe is on foot with a sword or a bow. Save for a freakish headshot at close range, they have virtually no chance of survival. It's an anti-climax, whereas I should be nervous throughout the final round.

Yeah I always enter the final round of the tourny with a happy look on my face because I know I've already won it. Or at least I did until my shield/hatchet combo came up against another lord's shield/hatchet combo. I've had this matchup a million times, but I seriously didn't land a single hit and he tore me up. I'd block one and then wouldn't be fast enough to get him while he was open. Most embarassing moment I had playing M&B. Dismantled by 1 freaking guy. Geez.

TheMageLord said:
If you aren't afraid to do a bit of modding, you can easily change the amount to bet. Even without the module system. Just go into menus.txt and look for menu_tournament_bet and change the appropriate numbers.
Ooooooooh, awesome! Bookmark'd! :grin:

Gimpy Son of Loins said:
Yeah I always enter the final round of the tourny with a happy look on my face because I know I've already won it. Or at least I did until my shield/hatchet combo came up against another lord's shield/hatchet combo. I've had this matchup a million times, but I seriously didn't land a single hit and he tore me up. I'd block one and then wouldn't be fast enough to get him while he was open. Most embarassing moment I had playing M&B. Dismantled by 1 freaking guy. Geez.

Was that the Sargoth tournament (All one-handed weapon and shield, mixed mounted)?  I played that one last night and it was by far the HARDEST tournament I've ever competed in, and my character an expert in that style.  I had to save/reload about 5 times to get through it (hey, I was broke and needed some cash in a hurry).  I did better in the archery/javelin tournament with no points in Power Throw, Power Draw, or Horse Archery.

Ringwraith #5 said:
TheMageLord said:
If you aren't afraid to do a bit of modding, you can easily change the amount to bet. Even without the module system. Just go into menus.txt and look for menu_tournament_bet and change the appropriate numbers.
Ooooooooh, awesome! Bookmark'd! :grin:
Do I need a fresh save to see the changes?
I'm too tired to play today, and next time I get to play late tomorrow

galenus said:
Gimpy Son of Loins said:

Was that the Sargoth tournament (All one-handed weapon and shield, mixed mounted)?  I played that one last night and it was by far the HARDEST tournament I've ever competed in, and my character an expert in that style.  I had to save/reload about 5 times to get through it (hey, I was broke and needed some cash in a hurry).  I did better in the archery/javelin tournament with no points in Power Throw, Power Draw, or Horse Archery.

Or the Wercheg one, with only hatchet and shield, quite nice too... But I must admit I tend to be quite scared at every stage of tourneys, because I often come in with 40-60% of my life potential only... Once finished quarterfinals with about 1HP, nice moment.

Stannis said:
Or the Wercheg one, with only hatchet and shield, quite nice too... But I must admit I tend to be quite scared at every stage of tourneys, because I often come in with 40-60% of my life potential only... Once finished quarterfinals with about 1HP, nice moment.

I think you're right.  It was Wercheg.

Pii100 said:
Do I need a fresh save to see the changes?
I'm too tired to play today, and next time I get to play late tomorrow
Nope, works fine with your old save. :grin: But 1k per match is way too much. 40k per tournament, that's practically free money. I think I'm going to change it back, or perhaps just so the max bet is 200.

galenus said:
Stannis said:

I think you're right.  It was Wercheg.

Yeah, it was Wercheg where I got my rear end handed to me. That was a dang hard tourny anyways so I was really happy when I got to the finals because I thought it was a foregone conclusion I'd win...

They kick pretty much ass. only negative the all- archer tournaments tend to take a lot of time .

And one of my rivals disappeared trough the gate making the tournament impossible to end , very annoying if you've put your bitter new earned denars in your bets .

Well, if you don't save/load to win every tournament it isn't really too much. You have to bet 6000 to get the 39800, so you're actually winning 33800. Every so often you'll get hit from behind or something and lose 6000 instead of win.

You also get drastically less winnings the more tournaments you win at a place, so after the first one the cash cow isn't really there anymore. 33800 isn't THAT much given the new item prices. One good piece of armor and its all gone.

And as Ringwraith said, no need to make a new save. Most simple modifications (not adding, just changing slightly) don't require new saves - the exception being troops (which are stored in your savegame).

I too love the new tournaments, and I find the shield/axe only on foot tournament the most fun. It's really chaotic when you get 8x8x8x8 and all 3 enemy teams rush toward you. Great fun.

Son of a pig's ass! I just had the most intense tournament I ever experienced!

(I was playing my Rhodok character with realistic saving & hardest settings.)

This happened in Wercheg, after realizing I was low on funds and my men would need to be payed soon. I went ahead and bet 100 denars to begin the tournament. The first round had 3 teams of 4. The other two teams ran straight for mine, which resulted in a nice little cluster**** in the middle of the arena. I tried to swing around behind the enemy to help out my team from the other side. In the end, only me and one of my comrades were left standing. Well, that didnt seem too hard, so I graciously betted another 100 denars. This time, it was 8 vs 8. The lone horseman in my team ran through the enemy group and was forcefully dismounted. I tried to swing around behind the enemy again, but encountered one shield/axe man that was lagging behind. After a decent duel, I knocked him out & turned to flank the enemy. Imagine the horror as I witnessed 6 of the enemy kill the remaining 2 of my comrades! I was on foot and up against 6 shielded opponents! As I turned to run, I spotted the horse that had lost it's rider earlier. I ran for it, mounted up, and got the hell out of there. OK, doing a little better now, but the odds were still 6-to-1. I tried my best to maneuver around and managed to pick off 2 more enemies. On one of my loops around the arena, I saw a second shield on the ground & decided to pick it up. After riding around some more, a final axe blow knocked the horse out from under me. So I'm on foot again, with 4 axe-wielding bastards gunning for me. Somehow I was able to kill two more of the enemy, but I was down to about 20% health. The last two enemies came at me in single file. A blow from the first man's axe splintered my shield, but my next strike killed him. The last man raised his axe above his head and....missed! I quickly switched to the shield on my back and blocked his next strike just in time. After some more duelling, I finally finished him off with an axe to the head. Trust me when I say the rest of that damn tournament was easy as pie! I did end up winning & got some nice cash from my clever bets. :grin:

Swadian Tournaments = Couched lance!

I think the new tournaments are great.  Khergit ones are hell if you suck at horse archery, archery, and throwing.  I once headshot(ed?) a guy for 12 damage.

TheMageLord said:
Most simple modifications (not adding, just changing slightly) don't require new saves - the exception being troops (which are stored in your savegame).
Yeah, that really irks me. I'd LOVE to make adjustments to troops on the fly. What good is it that I can import new items into my game when I can't give them to my knights? Aargh! :mad:

I love the new unique tournaments! Well, except of the seeming (to me) incompetence of my teammates. The only real downer in tournaments to me is being an archer on foot. Yeah, i know all the dirty tricks..... still, if you get overwhelmed with opponents charging at you (which can easily happen in a big battle), you're dead - no matter how good you are... its just "bad luck". IMO, it would be fair to give foot archers a very poor 1H weapon in addition to their bow.... like a long knife or something. I can accept being disadvantaged in meelee as an archer - i just dont want to be totally defenseless - gimme anything i can parry with.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, though it'd be nice if you could bet even more. Being able to make more in tournaments might alleviate the mid-game Sea Raider grind a little.

Because you feel the absolute need to purchase that 50k plate before going to war?

Just looting enemy villages and destroying Rhodok armies seems to bring more than enough cash to me already.

I don't loot villages for the simple reason that I want to be able to recruit from them when they become ours, and enemy armies are generally composed of mostly low-tier troops, so they don't give good loot. With Sea Raiders I make 1300+ per full inventory and I make two or three roundtrips per day when there's enough prey.
And no, I don't want the plate. Plate is fugly.

I love the new tournaments.  I hated the javelins at first, but now I know how to use them, something I'd have never learned had the tournaments not been given their "local flavor".

I have a funny story, too.

I was in a Horse Archery free-for-all in Tulga, horses and arrows whizzing around everywhere, until eventually it was down to just me and someone from the Blue Team.

The arrows coming from Blue were just amazing.
Shoop ... pow!
Shoop ... pow!
I had taken no damage the entire fight, and now I was just getting nailed over and over.  We were circling left, loosing one arrow after another at the moving target we each presented the other, only hers were hitting every shot and I was hitting maybe every fifth.  Finally Blue hit the wall and I took her out.

Turns out the mystery marksman was Ymira.  I had set her up as a horse archer right from the beginning, and she's honed her skills in battle after battle, so now every Khergit tournament I fight in I'll be up against the best.

The way she hits those deflection shots over and over is just scary.  I wish I were that good.  Of course I can maneuver my horse much better than the AI, and that is almost always going to mean I'm the more effective horse archer, but that consistent accuracy ... wow.

Back
Top Bottom