MP Gladiatorial combat - suggestion for a new (possibly fun) casual game mode

Users who are viewing this thread

**Iphicrates**

Sergeant
So far the game kind of lacks good gamemode that could bring more casual players to the community. Captain doesn't really work as intended (so far), skirmish is definitely to competitive for newbies (who get usually wrecked quite fast) and TDM is more frustrating to play than fun (cause of horsetard spam and spawning issues). There is siege, which I personally love and enjoy, but that makes only one, with only two maps at the moment. Kind of gets boring pretty fast.

So I was thinking, with the embeded class system (which, I guess will, never get abandoned) and matchmaking system (which hopefully will work better with bigger playerbase) TaleWords already has perfect tools for creating a super-casual game mode, friendly to newcomers and hopefully, fun to play. Gameomode that you can just jump into right away, and play for half an hour before going to bed.

The Idea is to mimic roman gladiatorial fights, by matching different classes against eachother in small-scale battles. Probably on a arena-shaped map. No respawns - you die, you loose. And no customization before battle - you use what you got. Player doesn't know who he will be fighting against. Player doesn't know what class and what equipement he will get. Those things should be random.

But, of course, the fights should be based on the pre-made scenarios, to avoid situations where peasant levy is put into fight against a varyag. I can see a potential for many interesting scenarios, such as:
- A duel scenario, where one class is put against another, or just two of the same class fight eachother, such as: "heavy inf vs shock infantry", "Cathapract vs Vlandian Knight", "Archery duel" etc.
- "fight against the odds" - where one, better armored class, is put against a bunch of peasants, e.g. "one Varyag vs. 3 clan warriors", "single knight vs 5 peasant levies with pitchforks", "single mamluk (with a bow) vs 3 sturgian scouts",
- "cooperation" where two units from one team (classes should suplement eachother) have to cooperate to take down enemy team, such as: "archer and spearman" vs "horseman and skirmisher"
-"triple threat match" - where instead of two fighting sides there are three, with up to three players for a team.
-"no holds barred" - a skirmish between two small teams, where all players start as peasants, but can pick up weapons (or even jump on horses) scattered along the battlefield.

The obvious problem I can see is that such gamemode would require quite extensive testing, so all sides of the match have chances of winning. Also, no stacks allowed - as this is supposed to be the most casual gamemode of all. Only random peeople meet on the battlefield. Matchmaking should also function correctly to connect players on more or less equal level.

But if fight scenarios would be well-thought and with the "surprise" factor counted in (as you never know what fight awaits you) I think a lot of people would have fun playing. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom