Giving peasant tier infantry some sort of ranged weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Historically many lightly armoured troops carried some types of skirmishing weapon. Does anyone else like the idea of having Peasants throw rocks at you while you slaughter them? I mean the rocks shouldn't do much damage to heavily armoured players but should do just enough to keep their shields up. Sometimes harassing the enemy and slowing them down was more important than actually doing damage. Would like to know other people's opinions on this.

Maybe some of the peasants are shepards and are good slingers. But just rocks -- meh, it just reminds of the looters from Warband. Mid-to-late game absolutely push over; early game? Headshot! Boom -- I'll take 32 of your 43 denars and your shoes please. That shirt, you keep; I've worn better mud than that thing thank you very much!

To be frank low-tier mob troops should be melee only. They are a stop-gap to player growth, after all.

I would not mind this at all. Frankly I don't understand why classes like peasant and rabble even exist in captain mode, at least currently. They are worse than every other troop in every way except numbers, which doesn't help unless they were overwhelming. Perhaps rocks or something would give them a purpose (once they fix AI with throwing weapons).

It makes sense for skirmish because they cost less and everybody is player controlled so skill matters more than strategy or anything.

I would like to see all of them having weak hunting bow and pitchfork, but then i would get annoyed if elite tier troops dont also have both anti-cavalry and ranged weapon, even if it would make sense.

Its not like making a simple bow is that difficult or expensive. Proper war bows definetly could be expensive, especially composite bows, but all they need is something that is better than throwing rocks with your hands. That level is not too much to ask even from lowly peasant. Spears are even simpler, in the most primitive form they are stones that are attached to piece of wood, literally something cavemen could make. Definetly not too much to ask if peasants have at least few throwing spears.

Back
Top Bottom