Getting too old to play ?

Users who are viewing this thread

palewarrior

Sergeant at Arms
So last night while playing PoP, groaning out load when I ran straight into Wolfbode with 50 recruits, twisting in my chair during a pretty frantic battle.  Generally enjoying myself...
My partner says she doesn't get why someone of my age  enjoys playing this stuff so much and wonders if I'm having a second childhood  :roll:

TBH I don't remember my first childhood ending. 
So I am wondering at what age should you consider hanging up the mouse and doing something more mature with your free time  :wink:

palewarrior said:
So last night while playing PoP, groaning out load when I ran straight into Wolfbode with 50 recruits, twisting in my chair during a pretty frantic battle.  Generally enjoying myself...
My partner says she doesn't get why someone of my age  enjoys playing this stuff so much and wonders if I'm having a second childhood  :roll:

TBH I don't remember my first childhood ending. 
So I am wondering at what age should you consider hanging up the mouse and doing something more mature with your free time  :wink:
I am 43. I am still playing Warband with its different mods. PoP is one of them of course  :wink: 

30 here.

Too old?

If my wife ever tells me I'm too old for this, I will start playing kids' toys to prove her wrong.

264071a3bf1b412f86256bfac91c2d4620171201105641.png.414x20000.76.auto.jpg

Do you think PoP requires more than CSGO?
This team has the average age of 71, the oldest is 81 years old, also the best of them :razz:

34 here. To be perfectly honest, I'm not proud of how much I play games. There was a time in my life where I spent most of my free time reading, practicing music, or doing outdoor activities. I miss that. But more often than not, once I get free time, I feel like I must squeeze game time in because it's the only time I have. It's very much an addiction, and I don't defend it to my wife as anything else.

That's me, though. I don't think that gaming is innately more appropriate for younger ages. I do think that it's very often dangerously habit forming for people of all ages. If you take an honest self-assessment and determine that your gaming habits are not negatively impacting your personal and family life, then I don't think age matters one bit. Otherwise, you and I should take steps to quit.

When I am not working on games, I play them.  I find being a spectator fairly boring.  Over the years I have seen my appetite for television and movies dwindle to the point where maybe I consume 4 hours a week of passive entertainment like this.

Interesting enough, there are more people who are over the age of 30 who play games, or used to play games, than under. 

palewarrior said:
I thought the old and absurd "videogames are for kids" argument long gone by now. I guess classics never truly die. :meh:

P.S: 34 and I am not planning on stopping for as long as I can afford it.

I am 51 and I not only still play MOunt and Blade, but I'm still halfway decent with shooters like Rainbow 6, Players Unknown Battleground and even hyper kinetic ones like Left for Dead. 

saxondragon said:
When I am not working on games, I play them.  I find being a spectator fairly boring.  Over the years I have seen my appetite for television and movies dwindle to the point where maybe I consume 4 hours a week of passive entertainment like this.

Interesting enough, there are more people who are over the age of 30 who play games, or used to play games, than under.

Mostly the same for me. Except I'm making simulation software and not games. The process started around 12 years ago (when I was 13  :lol:) and the only "passive entertainment" that I consume are mostly "let's plays" on Youtube. And I am not planning to stop any time soon now that I finally got a decent gaming computer  :mrgreen:.

I do think video games tend to take too much of my time but I still hit the gym 3 times a week and do a fair amount of motorbiking (without neglecting my work nor my wife).
All in all, video games are a hobby and like every other hobby it is time consuming ... You just have to define your own priority.

Such ignorant people still exist? Maybe it's time to un-partner her  :roll:

Enjoy what you do and don't let others bring you down because of that. You have fun and that is what matters, not opinions of some buffoons who have so boring lives they have to criticize your own.

Ah, the good old saying "if you get old,why are you playing games,thats for children!" and I always tell to the persons,  why do you watch TV,movies? to enjoy them right? as long as you enjoy games whats wrong if you are 99 years old and still play them. I find some game stories waaaay more interesting than movie,its true that a movies takes you like 2 hours while a game can take tens of hours,but still, as long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter, at least to me. Personally I feel bad for people who think like that and watch boring TV shows and dramas and News, I don't understand how they can while they bash games when they have no idea what they are talking about,for example my father had no idea that games had a story,yet he has the same thinking as your partner.

Styxt said:
saxondragon said:

Mostly the same for me. Except I'm making simulation software ...

I find that this aspect is what I mostly do.. create economic/military/religious/covert/political simulations.  We have done some pretty amazing work in our other project folding procedural generation into some pretty advanced simulation work.     

I like this topic, LOL, 38 and still playing too!

IMO the saying of "old, mature people won't play games" is not true. Think about it, during our time (the age of Pentium and Pentium Pro), our fathers or grandfather are not computer literate. Hence their version of "old-age" doesn't play games - those times are the dark ages and it holds true. However fast forward to our time, we have grown up with video / computer GAMES. True classics that accompany us to grow up and shape our righteous and courageous heart (yes rushing into a fray of Noldors or Jatu is like real life facing odds). In our version of "old-age", i will be chillin at home, playing games until I have my last breath / sensible mind.

This is our version of "old-age", now get this story out to your spouse.  :wink:

41 and keep going. I'll never stop. The more my partner criticizes me for lack of maturity, the more fanatically I pendor all over her @$$.

65 and desperately trying to make up for all that missed opportunity before PC games came of age!! :mrgreen:

I'll stop playing PC games when they pry my mouse out of my cold dead hands!!! :fruity:

Back
Top Bottom