Getting a new router

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

We recently "upgraded" our ISP and figured it was high time we went about replacing our ever faithful 5+ year old Linksys Wireless G router.

Currently, I'm looking at 2 models:

1) The Linksys E1200

2) The D-Link Dir-655

I'd appreciate if you all could give me your thoughts or recommend other brands/models.

The effective area it needs to cover is around 400 square meters, although we can invest in range extenders. The internet, if it matters, is cable.

Also, it's set in a corner of a large room with glass walls separated from the main house by a garden. The house itself is made up of bricks, plaster and concrete.

Unless your router is experiencing unusual problems it's likely pointless to upgrade your router. Even old ones have far more bandwidth than your ISP will give you for a reasonable price.

I'm using the old WRT54G, and we first got it when it came out in around 2002~2003. That's a 10 year old piece of hardware. Aside from legacy issues, it's suffering from hardware issues itself. Besides, we've expanded the house in the intervening years, so its current range doesn't suit our needs anymore.

Tuckles said:
Also, it's set in a corner of a large room with glass walls separated from the main house by a garden. The house itself is made up of bricks, plaster and concrete.
Aside from this sounding awesome, I've little to add.

...other than anecdotal evidence that the two Linksys routers I've used have been far more reliable than the Belkin router I used--and both seemed to work at their advertised ranges more faithfully than the Belkin as well, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom