Get rid of the stupid cheering

Users who are viewing this thread

I want control of my army until after the battle is over? Where's the DEV that designed this stupid crap? Come on here and defend this design decision. I want to hear what logical nonsense is presented. It's time to start calling these people out on their bullcrap.

Who wanted to not be able to control your troops? I am paying these dudes, they listen to me. What the hell? I have had it with these people. "Our team voted and rejected that idea.." Yeah that's familiar. This is a 20$ dollar game at best.

This is a regressive move from Warband.

Last edited:
I don't mind the cheering, though I wish that my army would cut down the fleeing enemy before celebrating. Or at the very least have the cheering soldiers stay stationary so they don't go around blocking the actual pursuit of the fleeing foe.

Or at the very least don't make them randomly cheer. The amount of times I saw a cavalry unit run past a fleeing unit because he started cheering the instant before he killed them is beyond counting.

I want control of my army until after the battle is over?
Yeah really. If you using any tactics at all you probably don't have anyone on charge until AFTER the enemy starts to rout, so you can get stuck being the only 1 trying to finish off the enemy.

"Oh why does it matter? You won the battle ?" Well I'm glad you asked. I'll tell you 5 reasons.

1 If you're fighting a battle where an enemy garrison has sallies out, every routed enemy actually goes back into the garrison and you'll have to fight them in a siege battle anyways.... very annoying. If on the other hand you eliminate them all, you get a spiffy 0 on defense, you still have ot finish the camp but you don't have to fight any siege battle to take the town. "But why would the enemy every sally out that's dum? ?" Because I used a small force to trick them into to doing so, because it's faster and easier for me this way.

2 "Help with brigand quest" requires you to actually defeat all of each party to get credit for defeating a group, if even 1 get away you have to chase them on the map and finish them off to get credit for the quest. "But why would you do that quest?, quest are for beginning of the game ?" When you have towns you'll need to clear this quest to rid the -security it gives while active, you'll have it come up fairly often.

3 Skill for Clan members and exp for troops! We spend the time entering the battle we want all the exp form the enemy, not just the 1st 1/5 before they rout (in the case of looters)!

4 Loot, I want every bit of dirty underwear those bums can drop! I got big plans and not time for this ****, give me my cash and my troops leveled up!

5 NPC lords will try to run away and they can be fast too! Sometimes I'm out of arrows and I need my back up to shoot down a fleeing Khuzait lord!

I have to say that I haven't tested version 1.5.10 yet, but from what I've read from you guys I don't understand if this is a bug or a premeditated design decision.

To me this cheering feature, although it's an addition that enhances the feeling of battle immersion, I think it's need a tune-up. As in so many other things in the game in terms of decision making, imho the Player always before the AI. It's the player's decision to let defeated enemies flee as well as to chase them down... but globally, I mean my entire party.

As I see it, cheering should be triggered if there is no active group selection by the player. Like so many other players, cavalry is often reserved to ravage fleeing enemy troops. Well, if I select them to fulfil that function I want the ENTIRE cavalry group to stop cheering and actively operate in response to the player's orders. The rest of the groups (infantry, ranged, etc...) not selected, may stay where they are and activate the celebration animations, but if I select you... cut the cheering and move your ass because I (the commander) command you to do it.

This is a regressive move from Warband.
I agree, very much so. Yesterday I was playing my 1.5.10 test run and saw this.
My 180-strong imperial army had been reduced to merely 60 after a long engamement with reinforcement waves of a 500-strong Khuzait army. It was a situation in which a follow-up battle was *inevitable.* Thankfully, the bulk of my elite troops broke their morale (and the back of their leader, who died in battle) so the enemy started retreating. Imagine 60 elite soldiers cheering like morons while, for MINUTES, elite enemy units which they could be mowing down left and right are comfortably retreating in the midst of their lines, sometimes LITERALLY BUMPING INTO THEM. One of my guys literally did a double take (just a glitch, but it was funny) when he was bumped into by a retreating horseless khuzait archer. They basically looked at each other for a second, then the khuzait retreated while my guy went cheering with: "We whipped the bastards!"
It makes no sense whatsoever. It's one thing if the game is lacking in development, but when the development is counterproductive... well. Let's just say their lack of direction is disturbing.

I've seen you plenty around the forum, so I assume you know how it works. For one, why here, instead of the suggestion subforum?
For two, why this tone? Surely you know that voicing your opinion ion a more polite way would give you at the very least a fraction more of a chance of actually being heeded.

That is if you actually wanted to be constructive, and not just to vent your frustration...

As I see it, cheering should be triggered if there is no active group selection by the player. Like so many other players, cavalry is often reserved to ravage fleeing enemy troops. Well, if I select them to fulfil that function I want the ENTIRE cavalry group to stop cheering and actively operate in response to the player's orders. The rest of the groups (infantry, ranged, etc...) not selected, may stay where they are and activate the celebration animations, but if I select you... cut the cheering and move your ass because I (the commander) command you to do it.
Agreed. This is it right here, at the very bare minimum this should be a thing. Just the right amount of control + immersion.

I've seen you plenty around the forum, so I assume you know how it works. For one, why here, instead of the suggestion subforum?
For two, why this tone? Surely you know that voicing your opinion ion a more polite way would give you at the very least a fraction more of a chance of actually being heeded.

That is if you actually wanted to be constructive, and not just to vent your frustration...
This is not the first thread that mentioned this issue.

Those threads were polite, but, as is with the trend of this forum, the only way to actually get the devs to listen and respond is through heated threads like this.

I honestly don't mind the cheering. I would actually like this tied even further to role-play. Seeing your commander riding down fleeing peasants from an obviously defeated foe should be an impactful thing. Acts like that should raise your cruelty trait and make you loose relationship points with merciful heroes.

Ordering your troops to do the same should lead to a portion of troops declining that order out of their morality compass (I know troops don't have traits, this would be a simple simulation). It would add a flavourful decision, loose troop morale to capture as many fleeing troops. Right now you always want to run as many of those bastards down for capture and XP gain.

Still, I do agree that having my troops not follow my order because they are busy cheering is stupid. Either tie this to some in-world reason for flavour or give the player full control...

Because this idea in the game is brain dead stupid and I am calling it what it is. I am done with this stupidity.

Agreed. This is it right here, at the very bare minimum this should be a thing. Just the right amount of control + immersion.
I don't know, it seems like common sense imho :neutral:.

I honestly don't mind the cheering. I would actually like this tied even further to role-play. Seeing your commander riding down fleeing peasants from an obviously defeated foe should be an impactful thing. Acts like that should raise your cruelty trait and make you loose relationship points with merciful heroes.

Ordering your troops to do the same should lead to a portion of troops declining that order out of their morality compass (I know troops don't have traits, this would be a simple simulation). It would add a flavourful decision, loose troop morale to capture as many fleeing troops. Right now you always want to run as many of those bastards down for capture and XP gain.

Still, I do agree that having my troops not follow my order because they are busy cheering is stupid. Either tie this to some in-world reason for flavour or give the player full control...

Interesting.
giphy.gif

Tie this type of behaviour to a basic action-reaction relationship. Some of you will already know True Relations, as this mod introduces functionalities of:
Gain reputation, skills and traits from battles, tournaments and events
Allies will love you, enemies will remember you and companions will grow with you

Add the factor you comment triggering a negative bonus on the relationship of a merciful lord seeing acts of the cruel player. This when several parties of Lords get together. When the player fights alone, let the cruel acts trigger a cruelty bonus and vice versa (+ other bonuses *optional).

In my head it works :lol:

I actually like the cheering and wish my dude would cheer too, however, there should be a way to disable it. A key perhaps that forces them back into a controllable state. If not that, force them to act when given a command.

Cheering now need two steps to perform even i never touch multiplayer, why don't just make our soldier cheer when i cheer, and please fix the "two steps" problem

I am paying these dudes, they listen to me. What the hell? I have had it with these people.
I find a bit funny that even after carefully reading your statement, I'm still not sure if you are refering to your troops, the devs, or both.:lol:

I agree though, don't think cheering should happen before all the enemy troops fled or have died.

If the problem is the easy xp gain when you kill fleeing troops, perhaps just give 50% xp or remove it completely, although I don't think that's the best approach as there is some skill required to kill the soldiers.
I think the right thing in this case would be the soldiers fighting for their lives if attacked while fleeing.

Back
Top Bottom