SP Musket Era GESIA Mod Pack 0.7

Users who are viewing this thread

A few notes.

First, thanks for the excellent mod.  I no longer play the unmodded WFAS, which I found dull and uninspired.  Your mod has kept me from simply chucking WFAS on the scrapheap.

* There are serious bugs around the Cossack questline.  If I am unaligned when I become eligible for the quest, the next time ANY Cossack general talks to me, I start the Black Mace quest and they begin treating me as if I have joined them.  However, doing quests gets me no Cossack popularity; instead I get personal popularity with the Hetman.  Because the game apparently thinks I've joined the Cossacks, I never get the opportunity to join any other faction -- but I can't leave the Cossacks because I never joined them.  The game becomes unplayable as a result.

* As a number of people have mentioned, Fatima's jarid doesn't show up and gives me a file missing error.  Training arrows have the same problem.  I eventually realized that these are weapons which are in the original M&B but not in WFAS.  I got WFAS to live out my Cossack fantasies (I'm a huge fan of Nestor Makhno, the Ukrainian anarchist revolutionary, and getting to thunder into combat against Russia atop a destrier with pistol and cavalry sabre makes me all tingly), and never bothered getting M&B.  People who have WFAS and not M&B therefore get errors because those files are missing.

* Is there anything you can do about the physics-defying horses which can stop on a dime?  It's particularly annoying when your own troops consistently cut in front of your horse, bringing you to a dead stop, usually resulting in an enemy lance up your pucker.  I've also found it irritating when I'm charging behind an enemy in hot pursuit and he slows down slightly, so that the hindquarters of his horse very slightly rub against the forequarters of mine -- causing my horse to freeze stock still while the enemy AI fills me full of arrows like a pincushion.  It's extremely immersion-breaking.

* Can we keep the fantasy and science fiction out of the game?  "Deathtoucher swords" and automatic rifles don't belong in this game.  There are enough exotic weapons which really existed that you could just rename most of these weapons to make them more atmospheric; for example, Toledo steel was legendary for being the best in the world, almost magical in its ductility, and "Toledo steel masterwork sabre" is a lot more atmospheric than "deathtoucher."

* On a related note, I'd like to see an overhaul of the modifying adjectives for weapons and armour, especially when I start seeing things like an "old old pistol."  Maybe more and better adjectives?  Poorly-crafted/well-crafted, crude/fancy, off-true/trued, splintered/fire-hardened, etc.  And perhaps a new class of adjectives which don't affect performance, but affect price: copper-plated, silvered, gilt, filligreed, jewelled, etc.

* The trading in WFAS was quite broken, resulting in me making about 2 million at the start of the game by doing velvet runs so I wouldn't have to worry about money for the rest of the game, but now trading is so difficult that I just don't bother.  It really needs to be something in the middle.'

* Was it a deliberate design decision to remove the ability to find NPCs from tavern travellers?  If so, why?

* There are a couple of annoying bugs from the original game which really need to be fixed.  First and foremost, the "find the looters" mayor quests are really quite broken.  If ANY of the looter groups get attacked by other units, the quest becomes unsolvable.  And worse, you won't know until you've wasted a week scouring the countryside for a looter group which no longer exists, adding the loss of a week's wages to quest failure.  Likewise, when you accept a mercenary contract, you will get summoned by the leader within a day or two, and have only a few days to reach them.  If they're galloping across the continent on their way to battle, it's nearly impossible to find them unless you get lucky and run across another noble to inquire about their location -- and even then, by the time you get there, they may be three cities away.  Either increase the time you have to report for duty, or have them wait at a city or castle for you.

* Lastly, if you run across a battle between, say, a squad of your side's own scouts and some enemy scouts, choosing what side to support becomes a coin flip: SCOUT vs SCOUT.  Exactly half the time you end up fighting your own troops.  Can we get some identifying information?  RUSSIAN SCOUT vs SWEDISH SCOUT is a lot more useful.

Again, thanks very much for the mod.  I've been playing it for months and enjoying it a good deal.

SmashTheState said:
* The trading in WFAS was quite broken, resulting in me making about 2 million at the start of the game by doing velvet runs so I wouldn't have to worry about money for the rest of the game, but now trading is so difficult that I just don't bother.  It really needs to be something in the middle.'

I disagree... I find trading very rewarding in its current state.  Multiple caravans and caravans to castles will only make it easier.

I tend to agree with most of your other points though... especially the last.

SmashTheState said:
A few notes.
Just saw this post and thought I'd chime in from the peanut gallery.

Aside from this:
SmashTheState said:
* Is there anything you can do about the physics-defying horses which can stop on a dime?  It's particularly annoying when your own troops consistently cut in front of your horse, bringing you to a dead stop, usually resulting in an enemy lance up your pucker.  I've also found it irritating when I'm charging behind an enemy in hot pursuit and he slows down slightly, so that the hindquarters of his horse very slightly rub against the forequarters of mine -- causing my horse to freeze stock still while the enemy AI fills me full of arrows like a pincushion.  It's extremely immersion-breaking.
each point you make is accessible via the Module System and can be changed. Unfortunately horse bumping and the resulting stopping is handled completely by the engine and is beyond the modders' touch. Bringing this particular point up in one of the various M&B 2 threads wouldn't be a bad idea, however.

I seem to be having an issue with the smoke effects of guns.  When units fire their weapons the smoke seems to come out of their gun, angled towards the ground, not outwards, is this a bug?

I second ruler of calradias motion.  It would be great to rule your own kingdom.

I also feel this was spot on.
* Can we keep the fantasy and science fiction out of the game?  "Deathtoucher swords" and automatic rifles don't belong in this game.  There are enough exotic weapons which really existed that you could just rename most of these weapons to make them more atmospheric; for example, Toledo steel was legendary for being the best in the world, almost magical in its ductility, and "Toledo steel masterwork sabre" is a lot more atmospheric than "deathtoucher."

Kendoman said:
I second ruler of calradias motion.  It would be great to rule your own kingdom.

I also feel this was spot on.

I'm sorry but our two mods cannot be merged. I have around 4.000 lines of modified & own code in my mod. Even if we try, it won't work.

el_infante said:
I'm sorry but our two mods cannot be merged. I have around 4.000 lines of modified & own code in my mod. Even if we try, it won't work.

Pitty... But im sure that if you trully try, it works, you may have to do everything again, (great change to fix bugs too!) but im sure it can be made to work.

Well, thanks for all the updates and ideas! 

I would really like to work on this right now, but the office is keeping a pretty busy.  I will have to look into this in a few weeks.  I know the current version is barely useable.  If somebody wants to pick up on that that's OK with me.

As to updating the war getting worse mod, I used it as a base but since the new troop tree and the item overhauls there is barely anything left that is actually used in the mod.

I appreciate your effort in making this mod pack very much. Thanks a lot!

I'm not a hardcore player, but I wanted to try some mods, and this seems to be the ideal way to do i without investing a significant amount of time into itt.

So far, excellent. Does the colours generally have a different shade? Very neat looking. I imported my 7 mil rebel Russian character who has barely completed a mission, and out of boredom took Smolensk, which in the native game has a huge set of villages. My initial money was made from trade, and frankly that's a bit boring.

It doesn't look like you'll be working on this mod at any time soon, but just in case someone else wants to work on it, I have a few more bugs to report:

* If you encounter a battle between a general's forces and some raiders, and choose to enter the battle on the side of the general, your reputation with the Outlaw faction goes down, which has the effect of having them attack you no matter how large your force is and how small theirs is.  I've had a flying column of 150 heavy Swedish knights get mugged by 3 brigands, for example.  Conversely, if you encounter a battle between a general and some raiders, and choose to support the raiders, your reputation with the Outlaw faction goes above zero, which causes you to be unable to attack them.  You get the "I'll give you nothing but a boot in the arse/I'll pay you not to bugger me" dialogue, but you can't initiate combat, all you get is a dialogue saying "leave."

* Generals don't seem to mind if you slaughter their army and take them hostage as long as you do it in the middle of a battle they're having with someone else.  If you subsequently release them without ransom, you end up in the silly situation that having attacked them and murdered all their comrades makes you their best friend, and you get a huge bonus to the relationship with their nation.

* You can't build banks.  Ever.  You can get the dialogue that the city has not yet built a banking house, but the option to build one never appears.

* As others have noted, a lot of villages have ridiculously high hills in which houses are embedded, and ridiculously low valleys in which houses are floating.

* Instead of convincing generals to join me, I usually support a rebel leader and simply capture all the faction's generals and imprison them until I've won the revolution, so that I get to personally own all the castles.  This has the result of having the new king (or queen) thank me for my help, tell me that I will always be the war leader, then immediately choose someone else to be war leader.  I'm never even considered for the position, which seems to be either a bug or a scathing commentary on politics.

* The AI might not need to feed their troops, but I do.  I am frequently ordered to accompany the war leader on a campaign, dragged across the entire continent, and then forced to cool my heels for a week of siege... with two days worth of food.  Leaving to get more supplies makes me fail the quest.

* On a similar note, I am often tasked with getting X heads of cattle for the war chief... who then gallops off across the continent so that it's impossible to get the cattle to him in time.  Perhaps the option should be available to bring beef instead of live cattle?

* "Even though you have the engineering skills of Leonardo Da Vinci and could blow down the wall of that castle in your sleep, I, your war chief, order you to build ladders and feed all your very expensive, carefully-tended cavalry into a meat grinder at the top of some rickety ladders, at all costs!"

* Some of the unit names need to be made more explanatory, and they should all have unique names.  Trying to decide whether I should turn my Curaissers into... Curaissers when promoting them seems odd.  It also seems strange that Tatar raiders lose their horses when they advance.

The notification needs to be killed. I might do it myself, but it needs to done on this mod. 500 clicks every short while.

After election as Tsar, I have this bug where most armies I meet with defect to me and shortly afterwards defect to the Tsarist rebels.

This mod pack is definitely shaping up!  On the new release candidate I noticed it was double listing preference options while camping.  Additionally I noticed the battle overview declares companions as killed in battle instead of just injured (not that it matters since they are alive either way).

Amazing work mate. Both you and the other modders involved did one hell of a great job. Best WFaS mod/mod pack I have used.

Curiously, even though the gameplay tweaks mod makes grenades undepletable, I still am able to run out of grenades. Now, I took that to mean that your grenades regenerate between battles, but that doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom