Germanic Shield I made :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Phalanx300 said:
I hope the shield will be added, looks accurate. I agree with spongly, apparantly there was enough iron in the ground. I think Tacitus text more reflects to the fact that some Germanics prefered the use of the club over the sword, would make someone not accuinted with the region think its inhabitants don't have enough iron.

And yeah that finding also says enough.

It is not timeframe accurate,said by ealabor...

JankoMega said:
Phalanx300 said:
I hope the shield will be added, looks accurate. I agree with spongly, apparantly there was enough iron in the ground. I think Tacitus text more reflects to the fact that some Germanics prefered the use of the club over the sword, would make someone not accuinted with the region think its inhabitants don't have enough iron.

And yeah that finding also says enough.

It is not timeframe accurate,said by ealabor...

Ealabor says many things to be accurate or inaccurate many others would agree with. Though if he thinks so I gues it wont be in.

Heh, well sure that can be true.

But I'm not objectionist to anything going into the mod, thats brought to attention by people. But the requirement being that theres some sort of factual foundation for what's presented.

And going on that I inquired about the shield, to which only one person made any suggestion, Spongly, which was that it was of migration period.

Me and Alpha spent a good deal of time going round and round in discussion of Germania, having searched for extensive time ourselves on the material, and looked at the Hjortspring content from no less than 3 sites containing it, and of all of it we never seen anything like that shield presented.

And as I said before its and interesting piece, and if anyone could tie it to the era, and has background information on it, i'd surely like to know.

tenis15 said:
what about barbarian invasion?

It would be nice,but the mod's finished and my suggestion is working on Hegemony 268.B.C not continuing and adding work on Barbarian Invasion...you suggest your own,tenis15.

And i have a question for ealabor:Is some percentage of work on phalanx formation in Hegemony done?
GOOD LUCK!

Problem is the texture is one complete photo for the front so it wont be so easy to edit it so that it looks ok.

This Hjortspring site is really interesting: http://www.hjortspring.dk/wold/shields.htm

It mentions how much of everything was found, this could possibly be used as a scale for class limits and other things for the Germanic faction(s?) in the mod.

~  80 Shields        (Celtic Shapes)
~ 170 Spears        (Celtic and Germanic shapes)
~    8 Swords        (All edged on one side! Germanic shape)
~  20 Chain Mails  (Yeah only can be Celtic)

Above I rated it all to the top. So this could mean:

80 Shields = 80 Warriors
170 Spears = ~ 2 Spears for each Warrior (One for Melee, one to be trown)
8 Swords = 1/10 Warriors have a sword
20 Chain Mails = 1/4 Warriors have chainmail

Rated down:

~  60 Shields       
~ 170 Spears       
~    8 Swords       
~  10 Chain Mails 

60 Shields = 60 Warriors
170 Spears = ~ 3 Spears for each warrior (One for melee, two to be trown)
8 Swords = ~ 1/6 Warriors have a sword
10 Chain Mails = ~ 1/6 Warriors have Chain Mail

For an Germanic force I think the lower estimation might sound more feasable. The Chain mail and sword could perhaps be an elite class of warrior. Above could be used for class limits for MP for example.

Phalanx300 said:
This Hjortspring site is really interesting: http://www.hjortspring.dk/wold/shields.htm

It mentions how much of everything was found, this could possibly be used as a scale for class limits and other things for the Germanic faction(s?) in the mod.

~  80 Shields        (Celtic Shapes)
~ 170 Spears        (Celtic and Germanic shapes)
~    8 Swords        (All edged on one side! Germanic shape)
~  20 Chain Mails  (Yeah only can be Celtic)

Above I rated it all to the top. So this could mean:

80 Shields = 80 Warriors
170 Spears = ~ 2 Spears for each Warrior (One for Melee, one to be trown)
8 Swords = 1/10 Warriors have a sword
20 Chain Mails = 1/4 Warriors have chainmail

Rated down:

~  60 Shields       
~ 170 Spears       
~    8 Swords       
~  10 Chain Mails 

60 Shields = 60 Warriors
170 Spears = ~ 3 Spears for each warrior (One for melee, two to be trown)
8 Swords = ~ 1/6 Warriors have a sword
10 Chain Mails = ~ 1/6 Warriors have Chain Mail

For an Germanic force I think the lower estimation might sound more feasable. The Chain mail and sword could perhaps be an elite class of warrior. Above could be used for class limits for MP for example.

LIKE!!!
Really good thinking,and a question,is this which you wrote for Germanic tribes?

The finding at Hjortspring was from the Germanics. So yeah for an Germanic faction, not sure whether all Germanics will be united as one in this mod?

Phalanx300 said:
The finding at Hjortspring was from the Germanics. So yeah for an Germanic faction, not sure whether all Germanics will be united as one in this mod?

I think their faction is gonna be named "Germanic Tribes" (I THINK)...anyway it will be a nice faction.

Calous said:

So Calous,every single one of these,not just these though all units of every single faction made for 1.011 Hegemony will be same...same equipment,armor,helmets,weapons etc. But ALL units? Hope they will be. :smile:

Thanks...
And btw,with these posts of mine you will understand why am i writing them so much...just read my Personal Text.  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom