Genuine question how is a non-class system better?

Users who are viewing this thread

As in while i like player choice i feel that surley its alot harder to balance in the long run and not have one or two Op broken builds

now ive not played a huge amount of MP but i did like the options of the classes and felt form what i played (a few versions ago) that the classes were ok and played well

i do feel that they could maybe allow some more perks for things like better sword or better amour type thing

can i ask why people seem to hate this system so much? (not trying to bait or start an angry disscusion i just want consrtuctive reasons why and even reason on what could be changed for a middle ground)

A feature, that defined warband for many people, was the equipment system. Choosing your own equipment defined the competitive multiplayer in the long run, certain equipments and drops have emerged and you could choose between a variety of weapons (which were more balanced than now imo).

When they introduced the class system, you lost the configuration of your character. However, I for myself was alright with that, since I thought, the class system helps new players getting into the game easier. Sadly the other game design decisions left the multiplayer scene struggeling from day one and a drop of 100.000 people from April to Mai is not easy to compensate.

Right now you have also OP broken builds, that are also destroying a lot fun for a lot of players (atleast from my perspective as a skirmish player). While these issues have been known since Alpha, there wasn't much change until the criticism (and sadly the hate aswell) increased here on the forums.

But I guess everyone expected bannerlord to be better than warband and many people think that the class system is a step back from the equipment system.

That's just my two cents, I hope you can get something away from it and I'm sure other people will bring up various different reasons

Have a great day! :smile:

It comes down to the depth warband offered for me, and the ability to take almost any assets of the game that was available in the game.

If you've ever played bannerlord singleplayer, you would notice the massive amount of items/clothing that many characters use, ranging from NPC to armies. When you then switch unto the multiplayer you are presented with an array of selection that is miniscule as opposed to the SP, it feels like a wasted potential.

I don't mind this class system for gamemodes that are brand new and refreshing (skirmish/captain) but when you've played a game a certain way, and the successor to that game ends up doing a downgrade in those same gamemodes you've been playing for years, you end up disappointed.

You also have to remember customization is not the only thing being removed when done, they also have changed the way damage is done in multiplayer. Whereas in singleplayer you getting hit in the head by an arrow while having no helmet would most likely one shot you, resulting in you having to balance out your armor, in multiplayer you don't have to do this anymore.

If you've ever played bannerlord singleplayer, you would notice the massive amount of items/clothing that many characters use, ranging from NPC to armies. When you then switch unto the multiplayer you are presented with an array of selection that is miniscule as opposed to the SP, it feels like a wasted potential.
It is not wasted potential, it is a potential for "Sikke" as you know what that means.

As in while i like player choice i feel that surley its alot harder to balance in the long run and not have one or two Op broken builds

In practice, it was the opposite. The gear selection was so broad that players were able to balance the game themselves. I don't think Taleworlds put much effort at all into Warband MP balance, it just worked. There were not 1 or 2 OP broken builds, there were dozens of builds that all countered each other.

In practice, it was the opposite. The gear selection was so broad that players were able to balance the game themselves. I don't think Taleworlds put much effort at all into Warband MP balance, it just worked. There were not 1 or 2 OP broken builds, there were dozens of builds that all countered each other.

This was especially true in cRPG. There were just so many builds and styles out there; it added a lot of variety to the gameplay and made Warband an incredibly fun experience.

now ive not played a huge amount of MP but i did like the options of the classes and felt form what i played (a few versions ago) that the classes were ok and played well

i do feel that they could maybe allow some more perks for things like better sword or better amour type thing

can i ask why people seem to hate this system so much? (not trying to bait or start an angry disscusion i just want consrtuctive reasons why and even reason on what could be changed for a middle ground)
warband had a class system with only 3 classes but more in number and more insigificant upgrade options, basicly this "more perks for things like better sword or better amour type thing"

warband had a class system with only 3 classes but more in number and more insigificant upgrade options, basicly this "more perks for things like better sword or better amour type thing"
"Insignifcant"
Yeah i am sure there are no obselete perks in the current class system.

Warband has more signifcant weapons and armor. If you dont believe it, you're in denial

Last edited:
I honestly don' have a problem with the class system at all. I played Warband for a long time (clan matches and everything) and it was great back then, but I don't miss a thing with the new system. Now there are no equipment combinations one has to know to be good at the game, you have to prove your skill and experience through the way you use the troops everyone else has. And its not like you cant customize them at all..

I think the Warband system (which is still a class system remember) just felt more natural and allowed more customisation, and it also worked pretty fluidly across all game modes. The BL system feels more constrained and they seem to be struggling making it work equally well across all the current game modes, nevermind upcoming game modes or eventual custom servers.

I don't think the BL system is inherently bad though, but it's just one of those areas where it really needed to excel to be fully accepted, and it hasn't done that.

The joy of getting to play as a better troop in Bannerlord isn't the same as, for example, getting to afford an awlpike as a Vaegir infantry. Instead, it feels more like: "At last, now I'm playing as what I actually want to play as, not some pathetic troop with a floppy elf hat."

There are also "quality-of-life" deteriorations too, such as not being able to select all your preferred equipment/perks as any troop you might play as when you join the server (with the game upgrading stuff automatically), and the inability to go into a menu and change perks after you've already spawned in.

It's actually a lot worse than what I was expecting, but hopefully it can improve in the future (probably in 2022).

The gold system works so much better than the perk system because you can mix and match gear to create builds much more fluently. With 1000 gold it was very balanced and you could change the starting gold to be higher or lower to accommodate the desired playerbase or gamemode.

Instead of one system that is expected to fit everything, the gold system created the potential for many different metas within the same system by simply raising or lowering the starting gold amount to suit the needs of the playerbase.

The gold system really was very very good. The only issues were imbalance when the starting gold was absurdly high, im talking 10000+ (no servers ever ran this outside of special events) and newer players having no clue how to pick gear because they were brand new and had no idea how the UI worked. The latter issue would be easily solved by giving players a 1000g loadout by default and allowing them to customize gear up or down from there.

Back
Top Bottom