Users who are viewing this thread

Suppose I am looking for a companion with a specific skill set. As of now, I have to go from tavern to tavern hoping to find one that matches my needs. This is a long and boring process. Sometimes, there are no companions with the skills I want and I have to settle for a companion that has the potential to become what I need in the distant future. Unfortunately, the companions I find are often so high in level that it takes them forever to acquire new points and specialize in the way I need.

I think it would add a great deal to the game if players were able to generate their own loyal companions in the same way as they generate their main character. These generated companions should start at level 1, which would allow them to rapidly level up and specialize in the direction the player wants. Not only would this eliminate the tedium of searching for the right companion, but it would also add a whole new level of enjoyment to the game for people who want to bring their favorite fictional characters into the game with them.

As for how this could be incorporated into the game, I think it could be done through events and/or quests. For example, imagine you see a group of villagers being attacked by looters. Your party swoops in and saves the villagers. After this event, you see the following dialogue.

"A young peasant approaches you. Their parents slain by the bandits, they have nowhere to go. They are forever thankful to you, not only because you saved them, but also because you avenged their fallen family. They want to join your party."

[Choice] Accept (Generate Companion)
[Choice] Decline

If you accept, you get a young and inexperienced companion that you can shape in the way you want.
Love, love, love this idea. +1

Definitely would love this. You could probably integrate the child/adoption system with this as well. Maybe some way to take your child around from age 13-17 in your party and teach them some skills/make them lean towards a certain skillset.

Great idea too, LordKay. It would be awesome to see that implemented. To add to that, maybe they're assigned a specific role in the party, like the other companions. If they're Scout, they develop cunning and control; Quartermaster develops steward and tactics(?)

I feel like tying this to something like killing looters or going from village to village and getting the event firing randomly afterwards might get annoying (like constant popups from talking to looters already gets annoying).
I like the idea itself but think it could work well using the game's tavern system - rather than tying it to events - go up to the barkeep and add a dialogue option:
  • "I'm looking to hire someone capable" and the tavern guy goes "Yeah... yeah I know someone you might like, let me give you their details"
  • then it opens up the character creation screen + skill screen, letting you design your companion's looks + skills from scratch,
  • every skill you add costs extra gold - and you cant make a companion a higher level than your own hero is
    • (as skill XP sums together collectively to = character level, so this means it acts as a "floating cap" - in the early game you cant build god-tier characters, but later when you are level 20 or whatever, you can).
  • Then you hit the hire button, the gold is subtracted and they join your party.
Thats pretty much how it works in most CRPGs (e.g. baldurs gate).

Alternatively, if you are a lord, you could be in your castle/town keep where there could be a "Steward" NPC that you could speak to.
At your command they'd put out the word that you're looking to hire adventurers and it would then open the character generator to make your own (see above).
Your newly generated character could then spawn at the main doors and come to greet you thanking you for hiring them.

Last edited:
I like the idea itself but think it could work well using the game's tavern system - rather than tying it to events - go up to the barkeep and add a dialogue option:
  • "I'm looking to hire someone capable" and the tavern guy goes "Yeah... yeah I know someone you might like, let me give you their details"
  • then it opens up the character creation screen + skill screen, letting you design your companion's looks + skills from scratch,
  • every skill you add costs extra gold - and you cant make a companion a higher level than your own hero is
    • (as skill XP sums together collectively to = character level, so this means it acts as a "floating cap" - in the early game you cant build god-tier characters, but later when you are level 20 or whatever, you can).
  • Then you hit the hire button, the gold is subtracted and they join your party.
Thats pretty much how it works in most CRPGs (e.g. baldurs gate).

Alternatively, if you are a lord, you could be in your castle/town keep where there could be a "Steward" NPC that you could speak to.
At your command they'd put out the word that you're looking to hire adventurers and it would then open the character generator to make your own (see above).
Your newly generated character could then spawn at the main doors and come to greet you thanking you for hiring them.

Sorry for the late response. That's another really good suggestion! Not only would it be more convenient for the player, but it would likely be easier to code into the game as well, because the developers would not need to bother with creating a new kind of quest. I think you should create your own thread. The devs may take notice!

Suppose I am looking for a companion with a specific skill set. As of now, I have to go from tavern to tavern hoping to find one that matches my needs. This is a long and boring process.

Let the Encyclopedia do your walking.

Seems they are working on it now since you also can rename your relatives as they start with lvl1. Hope they are just gonna change that to random followers later

+1
maybe recruiting a custom character from an announce, or trought a special quest about a kidnapped/talented person in some town in the map to make it a more inmersive mechanism in the game, and more interesting...

maybe recruiting a custom character from an announce, or trought a special quest about a kidnapped/talented person in some town in the map to make it a more inmersive mechanism in the game, and more interesting...
yes going to a tavern and steward and give skills to generate a companion sounds a little bit like you created a golem from argile. A better approach would be to ask the tavernkeeper or steward "I need someone with those skills and he can tell you where to find him for some amount of denars"

Back
Top Bottom