General Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey all, I couldn't really find it anywhere. Its been a while since I last played warband and this mod really got me interested. I remember when it just started that it had some great potential and look where it is now :eek:

Just one thing I was wondering about, are you guys considering adding a player faction? (like a troop tree for the faction the player starts)? Normally I would be able to mess around a bit and add it myself but with this unique system i'm not able to. I really like the abilities, roles and positions you can give companions and am definitely willing to give this new recruiting system a go. The only thing stopping me atm is the lack of a player faction (which is a definite must for me late game)

Sincerely
Manekemaan

What's the deal with the strength requirement on armors? Together with the encumbrance penalties it all seems a little like there is only one particular build that can manage to wear heavy armor.

****erlord said:
What's the deal with the strength requirement on armors? Together with the encumbrance penalties it all seems a little like there is only one particular build that can manage to wear heavy armor.

Its an interesting system...be either a skilled warrior or a strong one...no more characters wielding top armor with 30 intel. Be smart or strong ya know.

Is there any plans for adding more Companions or will the main focus here be on given all Companions a unique quest?

****erlord said:
It's not that big; T4 units have up to 20 strength which is enough to wear most of armours.

Windukind said:
Is there any plans for adding more Companions or will the main focus here be on given all Companions a unique quest?
Both.  I want to eventually add companions that are aimed at being the lesser nobles of the realm (also usable by the AI), but those plans are really just design phase at best.

manekemaan said:
Hey all, I couldn't really find it anywhere. Its been a while since I last played warband and this mod really got me interested. I remember when it just started that it had some great potential and look where it is now :eek:

Just one thing I was wondering about, are you guys considering adding a player faction? (like a troop tree for the faction the player starts)? Normally I would be able to mess around a bit and add it myself but with this unique system i'm not able to. I really like the abilities, roles and positions you can give companions and am definitely willing to give this new recruiting system a go. The only thing stopping me atm is the lack of a player faction (which is a definite must for me late game)

Sincerely
Manekemaan

Sorry for asking again, but i'm afraid this post got lost in the mass. Any idea if there is or will be a player faction troop tree?

There is one currently.  It is the troops labeled as player_troop_<type> in the text file for their ID.  They are just a copy of the native Swadia at present though, but they can be modified with morph's and used if you set your culture to "going your own way".  The references might be a little off as I don't have the module source handy.

Thanks for the answer Windyplains

Ah cool than my changing might not be in vain. I have indeed altered these troops. So if I now start my own faction I will be able to recruit these guys?

But then I guess player faction troops will have a max tier 5?

I also edited the placeholders, will they be in game? because then I would also have tier 6 and 7 troops...

And one more: stats are quite a lot different here than in others mods I noticed, is there any 'guideline' I can use to help me make the player faction troops balanced?

Ps: i'm more than willing to share my work if I anyone wants it.

manekemaan said:
Ah cool than my changing might not be in vain. I have indeed altered these troops. So if I now start my own faction I will be able to recruit these guys?
Yes

But then I guess player faction troops will have a max tier 5?
A troop's tier is dynamically assigned based on their skills, proficiencies, equipment and attributes.  The tiers should adjust to their appropriate setting on a new save game.  A continued save game won't run the script that figures out everyone's tier.

I also edited the placeholders, will they be in game? because then I would also have tier 6 and 7 troops...
They wouldn't show up in the game and I wouldn't recommend changing their "ID" names.  Most lists in the module system work on a (starting troop) to (ending troop + 1) which is why there is often a placeholder troop following the last in a specific group of troop types.

And one more: stats are quite a lot different here than in others mods I noticed, is there any 'guideline' I can use to help me make the player faction troops balanced?
Level = Tier * 4 (for base troops).  Level for upgraded troops = (Tier * 4) + 6 (veteran) or +12 (elite)
Generally troops have an "attack tier" of 1 to 10 that represents proficiency 75 + (25 * Tier) and a power attack/strike/draw skill equal to the attack tier.
You can find out most of this information by looking in the source documentation at "..\Source Files\Trunk\Documentation\Troops\troop design.xls" and checking out the "Attack & Armor" tab.

Tactician and Commanding Presence both buff the damage/regen of 'nearby troops'.  But what does that mean?  On the same battlefield?  Within ten paces?  The two  buddies I'm standing shoulder-to-shoulder with?

I'm trying to figure out how many Swadian Sergeants to have in my army.  The abilities stack, but I need enough to cover my whole roiling mass of footmen.

(Also, are Swadian footmen supposed to be the most OP peasant-recruit ground unit?  I would have thought the Nords and the Rhodoks would be fielding better peasant-recruit stuff, but it doesn't seem that way on the field, once things turn into a messy crowd.)

Think of those abilities as having a 15-20 foot radius around them based on the character models being roughly 6ft tall.  I can't remember for certain about how far it is, but when I was designing it I had troops scaled out to the limit of its range and that seems a reasonable assessment of distance.

Could I use the placeholders as the upgraded and veteran troops or wouldn't that work? Or should I just create some new units and use them for that?

I wonder how those troops upgrade as experience from battles is set to 0 and the trainer skill doesn't upgrade them?

I was wondering, if I made a decent troop tree, along with stats, equipment, skills and decently balanced. Would anyone be able/willing to implement them?

edit: a player faction troop tree

manekemaan said:
Could I use the placeholders as the upgraded and veteran troops or wouldn't that work? Or should I just create some new units and use them for that?
Yes, that could be done.  You would find an easier time adding them to the end though and simply making upgrade paths to them.

I wonder how those troops upgrade as experience from battles is set to 0 and the trainer skill doesn't upgrade them?
Upgrade rate is all controlled by level of the troop.  This is why I went with a design of level = tier * 4 to give them a starting point and then veteran (+6) and elite (+12) to make those a little slower to obtain.  Upgrade speed is pretty much the only useful function of level as it can be set to any value regardless of the actual strength of a character.

Bremmelgod said:
Can player faction troops have special abilities like other faction troops? (IE: Berserker)
They would need to be assigned in the module system, but it isn't nearly as hard as it might sound.
The script "hub_initialize" in (center management kit) hub_scripts.py holds these assignements for every troop and would give you a very easy reference to copy & paste info from other troops for.  This script is literally at the very top of that file.

The ability constants (value = actual ability) are defined in combat_constants.py in the combat_enhancement kits.

Here is an excerpt from the Swadian Supplyman troop.
Code:
## I1 - Swadian Supplyman (Affiliated)
		(call_script, "script_ce_wipe_troop_prerequisies_and_abilities", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman"), # combat_scripts.py
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_requirement", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman", PREREQ_AFFILIATED, PREREQ_UNASSIGNED),
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_ability", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman", BONUS_SUPPLY_RUNNER, BONUS_UNASSIGNED),
		(troop_set_class, "trp_r_swadian_supplyman", CLASS_INFANTRY),
		# +1 tier
		(call_script, "script_ce_wipe_troop_prerequisies_and_abilities", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_1"), # combat_scripts.py
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_requirement", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_1", PREREQ_AFFILIATED, PREREQ_UNASSIGNED),
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_ability", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_1", BONUS_SUPPLY_RUNNER, BONUS_UNASSIGNED),
		(troop_set_class, "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_1", CLASS_INFANTRY),
		# +2 tier
		(call_script, "script_ce_wipe_troop_prerequisies_and_abilities", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_2"), # combat_scripts.py
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_requirement", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_2", PREREQ_AFFILIATED, PREREQ_UNASSIGNED),
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_ability", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_2", BONUS_SUPPLY_RUNNER, BONUS_UNASSIGNED),
		(call_script, "script_ce_assign_troop_ability", "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_2", BONUS_SPRINTER, BONUS_UNASSIGNED),
		(troop_set_class, "trp_r_swadian_supplyman_2", CLASS_INFANTRY),
The first thing to do here is break this chunk into its three main parts.  The lines under I1 - Swadian Supplyman refer to the base unit while the lines under the "+1 tier" & "+2 tier" sections refer to the Veteran Swadian Supplyman and Elite Swadian Supplyman respectively.

The first line calls "script_ce_wipe_troop_prerequisites_and_abilities" to empty out any current abilities or prerequisites.  This is important as it allows maintaining save game compatibility while changing abilities for a troop.  The "assign an ability" script is designed to look for the first unused slot and then assign one so this makes sure that every is starting from an empty standpoint.

The second line calls "script_ce_assign_troop_requirement" which changes the first open / unassigned prerequisite slot of troop "trp_r_swadian_supplyman" to the Affiliated prerequisite.  If you wanted more prerequisites you would simply add more of these assignments up to a maximum of 6.

The third line calls "script_ce_assign_troop_ability" which changes the first open / unassigned ability slot of troop "trp_r_swadian_supplyman" to the Supply Runner ability.  If you wanted more abilities you would simply add more of these lines up to a maximum of 6.  By design troops generally do not exceed 3.  The original intent was for only 3, but was extended to 6 to accommodate players (and eventually lords) having more.

The fourth line designates this troop as being of the infantry class.  This is what tells PBOD & the game engine how this troop's behavior should be.

As you can see there is a lot of code in this script, but it is all very repetitive.  I tried to build scripts to alter each aspect of a troop so that this particular script would look very readable for folks wanting to design their own troop trees.

manekemaan said:
I was wondering, if I made a decent troop tree, along with stats, equipment, skills and decently balanced. Would anyone be able/willing to implement them?
I can't make any promises before seeing the faction's design, but we would certainly consider it.  At this point that is more Leifdin's call as he will be taking over the troop design aspects of the mod.

Back
Top Bottom