General History Questions thread

Users who are viewing this thread

kurczak said:
Czech beers are empirically and objectively far and away the best within their style, i.e., you know, Pilsner lager. If you don't like lagers and prefer atrocities like ale, stout or weissbier, then suit yourself, but it's like comparing riesling to claret.

This message was brought to you by Radegast, a beer fit for a literal god.

I love it when you succumb to my provocations, you come to the call right away. My mission has taken effect, I didn't know the Radegast brand...sincerely...it's better than Budějovický Budvar? I haven't tried it, but it is said that the best you have is an unfermented craft in a bar in Terezin...can it be?

Terco_Viejo said:
I love it when you succumb to my provocations, you come to the call right away.
I'm but a simple woman. You say jump, I say how high.

Radegast is considerably more bitter than Budvar, which is the sweetest of the major brands. So sweet it is the only one I can actually identify in a blind test :razz: Uncultured foreigners like it sweet, hence Budvar's popularity abroad, but less than ideal reputation on the home front.
Terco_Viejo said:
I haven't tried it, but it is said that the best you have is an unfermented craft in a bar in Terezin...can it be?
That's oddly specific. Where are you going with it? :smile:
Do not look here said:
Just stop filling the export bottles with water and disappointment. I know I'm short ride away from good Czech stuff, but when in hurry I need to settle for Slovak lager :mad:
An unacceptable stain on the national honor. I shall make haste and inform the Council of Ancients!

kurczak said:
Terco_Viejo said:
I love it when you succumb to my provocations, you come to the call right away.
I'm but a simple woman. You say jump, I say how high.

Radegast is considerably more bitter than Budvar, which is the sweetest of the major brands. So sweet it is the only one I can actually identify in a blind test :razz: Uncultured foreigners like it sweet, hence Budvar's popularity abroad, but less than ideal reputation on the home front.
Terco_Viejo said:
I haven't tried it, but it is said that the best you have is an unfermented craft in a bar in Terezin...can it be?
That's oddly specific. Where are you going with it? :smile:

giphy.gif

I love that level of "bitter" in your answer. Don't think anything strange about Terezin's comment (it should be a tasting recommendation for uncultured tourists within the "complex" as a point within the route).
I take note of your recommendations.

kurczak said:
Please, I haven't been baked since like the last millennium.
I had a hard time... but in the end.

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.jpg

kurczak (polish) = pollo (español) = chicken (english)

Humor Festival :party:

---
I'm guilty of this thread being derailed?  :iamamoron:

Was the French revolutionary army using bagpipes? I have just seen a clip from La Révolution Française (absolutely marvellous film / series) where their soldiers are marching and singing Marseillaise while playing bagpipes. Just wondering whether bagpipes were at least somewhat common among the troops.

I know the scene you're referring to. If you look closely, there's a man behind the piper carrying the flag of Brittany, four bars of sable on white. The Bretons, being Celts, naturally have their own bagpipe, which they called the "biniou".

If the film continued a little longer, they'd be fighting against the Revolutionary Army in the War of the Vendée.

Also, most areas of Europe, at some point, developed an instrument similar to the bagpipes (basically a goat's bladder which you fill with air, then squeeze it out of various pipes).

Perishable construction. The fineness of the carving in the stonework is likely a replication of the same achieved in woodcarving for palatial/secular structures, but unfortunately they did not survive the passage of time. The reason they built temples specifically to last is because of the karmic benefit of their construction and use into perpetuity: a temple built to last over centuries and millennia will accrue far greater benefit to one's karma than one that will decay and collapse after several decades of use.

There are some walls extant however, from my recalling, namely around Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat, as well as some remnant wall/gate structures around Bagan and possible Ayyuthaya.

Indeed, while temples are built to survive for longer at specific locations, villages and towns could be abandoned and
rebuilt elsewhere, time and time again, allowing the inhabitants to migrate and adapt with environmental and topographic changes.

Such examples include the construction of canals or dams, floods, droughts, or even rivers naturally changing course. What was once
previously thought to be signs of ghost towns or civilizational collapse, is now mostly revealed to be simply, people adapting and changing
with the times. When simply going with the flow isn't worth it on the long run...

Extent and major sites of the Indus Valley Civilisation 3000 BC

IVC_Map.png

2010 Pakistan floods

707px-Indus_flooding_2010_en.svg.png

Channel changes in the Mississippi river near the Old River Control Structure, Louisiana

4uHPXsx.jpg

The Classic Mayan Drought theory, 8th and 9th centuries

5C9b0fr.png

Mayan territory and settlements until 1500

SK3DTNF.jpg

Thoughts on the idea that a cataclysmic event involving a comet hitting greenland in the center of an ice cap, causing sudden massive sea level rises and an effective volcanic winter around 12,000 years ago, caused the downfall of pre (What we now know as neolithic) human civilisation which has been argued to be pretty advanced in a pre-electricity sense?

hmm i see, so there is no way to know the form of these civilization everyday building eh? like their villager house/hut, or their rich people houses

Back
Top Bottom