General feedback: I prefer the skill system in Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

...I'm enjoying Bannerlord; it looks great, it handles great. But I DO prefert the skillsystem in Warband (and the later simulated time period, with its units and equipment)

the do something to level it up makes much more sense than kill some units/do quests to get experience and spend it however you like.

what sucks in bannerlord is that the learning rate drops the more experience you have. good thing that mods fix this.

I pur-fur warband's system too. In warband I can fullt plan my build and be rewarded for massacring with low combat stats and basic weapons and invest into max support skills fast and easily and benefit from them the whole game. In bannerlord killing everyone levels you up super fast and kills all you skill learning gains, no matter how you invested your points. Plus it's just not satisfyingly to slowly build up to high skill levels and then either you finish that game and barely got to use the high skills OR you die and have to do it again with you derpy child.

Only riding and bow level in a appropriate rate...... but I don't really need that much riding and bow....
I guess steward is okay too.

the do something to level it up makes much more sense than kill some units/do quests to get experience and spend it however you like.

what sucks in bannerlord is that the learning rate drops the more experience you have. good thing that mods fix this.
precisely my thoughts as well, I feel this system is better but needs some refinement and possibly the removal of such anti-player unfun limitations... The "do to learn" system is the most immersive there can be, so I'm really looking forward to the update that will do some hopefully significant improvements to it. The game also needs some changes to the amount of experience required for skill level-ups, because having the first skill points cost as low as 30 experience (completely insignificant) and the later skills cost many thousands of experience, is just so inconsistent and unpleasant that it leads to situations where you do a quest and gain 10-20 charm skills at once at the start of the game and later on you barely gain skill points. Just feels like a roadblock in progression later on. If there were 100-200 achievable skill points then the system of exaggerated requirements later on would make more sense.

But, there are over 300 skills to be achieved, and having each skill point require 20,000+ experience later on is just unpleasant. I know some skills give more experience later on (trading gives more profit so more experience as well), but I don't think it's enough of a bonus, and not all skills have this privilege also. They really need to decrease later skills exp requirements and increase the first skills requirements by a little bit as well, so the progression feels more consistent and more rewarding at the same time (the later skills should level slower, but not this much slower than the first skills, there is too big of a discrepancy currently).

All in all, you just can't combine less exp gained the higher level you get + more and more exp requirements the higher you level a skill, without this leading to the overall progression becoming really unfun...

I strongly agree with this. Absolutely hate the limitations placed for gaining skills. Its like your character gets dumb the longer time passes. Doesn't make much sense.

I prefer the warband system as well, but I don’t expect a reversal. I do hope they improve the current system and do away with the increasing learning rate. I like the perks, but hate that choosing one, excludes the other?. I am not a big fan of perks that give you a +% in something. Perks that give you new gameplay options are preferable. Like recruiting bandits, having more caravans and showing prices in green and red to see if you make a profit. Tactics should give acces to formations.

I like the work on a skill get points in the skill system. But the leveling of each skill and the amount of xp should be silo'd to each skill. So that leveling one handed doesnt make leveling engineering harder or vis versa.

That way I would be more inclined to swap weapon types or play styles during a game instead of not bothering as learning multiple skills just handicaps yourself

I propose they rework their attributes:
- Vigor, Control and Social should be renamed to Strength, Dexterity and Charisma like in normal games that are not tryharding to be special where it doesn't matter
- There should be a line of secondary attributes that are partially influenced by primary attributes and influence skills in turn: Agility, Self Discipline, Memory, Reasoning, Quickness, Presence, Intuition, Empathy, Courage, Coordination, Deception, Evasion
- A list of tertiary attributes is derived from primary, secondary attributes and culture: Fire Resistance, Charm Resistance, Head Concussion Resistance, Horse Resistance, Crushthrough Resistance etc.

Wait. This is stupid. Scrap all the attributes, because they are NOT REALLY NEEDED.
Skills with perks work just fine on their own, just ask Skyrim.

I propose they rework their attributes:
- Vigor, Control and Social should be renamed to Strength, Dexterity and Charisma like in normal games that are not tryharding to be special where it doesn't matter
- There should be a line of secondary attributes that are partially influenced by primary attributes and influence skills in turn: Agility, Self Discipline, Memory, Reasoning, Quickness, Presence, Intuition, Empathy, Courage, Coordination, Deception, Evasion
- A list of tertiary attributes is derived from primary, secondary attributes and culture: Fire Resistance, Charm Resistance, Head Concussion Resistance, Horse Resistance, Crushthrough Resistance etc.

Wait. This is stupid. Scrap all the attributes, because they are NOT REALLY NEEDED.
Skills with perks work just fine on their own, just ask Skyrim.
To be fair.... Skyrim did have attributes;

9yzIE1h.png

Though to be fair I agree - they are needless complications. The use-skill gain-skill system is fine; it doesn't need capping. Especially given players can die in bannerlord.

Last edited:
Nothing was derived from them though. They literally meant what they meant and nothing else.
The whole Skyrim scheme of skills and leveling was a lesson in simple and effective design. Add to that the effect of Stones (=focus points) to favor a playstyle and you have no reason whatsoever to invent an attribute scheme for a RPG game. It's superfluous obscurantist autistic relic that needs to be ripped out of any game to improve it.
The main point of this is flexibility. Nothing stops you from starting off as a bandit, then deciding you really want to be a feudal lord - you are not artificially limited in choice because you don't have the required attributes to be good at something else. They have a very similar problem with Bannerlord MP classes.

Also, I demand these attributes are visually integrated with the character creation screen, or the game will not be realistic at all: Manhood Length, Manhood Circumference, Anal Circumference Potential, Vaginal Circumference Potential, Vaginal Depth Potential, Areola Diameter, Nipple Length, Cup Size, Tongue Size, Hymen Resistance, Areola Hue, Foot Size, Fist Circumference, Head Circumference and Handedness.

Last edited:
Can you give me some of them?
i use this. the modder keeps up with the betas.

there is this one but for the main branch

The reason Warband's system feels better is because in that game, high level player characters feel high level. In BL its a complete chore to level anything.
And the perks are pretty laughable, 1% increased damage :mrgreen:

I think the problem is that the skill progession is still based on a Warband-like system where you have one char and play the whole campaign with it. In My opinion the slowing down while learning is usefull to prevent Players from getting all skills(in warband onl combat ones) maxed out and loose their motivation but in Bannerlord you should not worry about that simply because the lifetime of your Char ist the Cap. So just let the chars learn what they want and it resets when they die instead of makeing it very hard to get any high skills

Has TW ever discussed the reason they moved away from the WB skill system? I'd be curious to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom