General Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
This thread is for observations about the mod that don't really qualify as feature requests or bug reports and aren't really new topics, but are more like, "isn't it awesome when you manage to get 15 headshots with the Mourn Bow and take out half a Lord force through everybody running away...", etc.

IOW, it's a thread where people can talk about whatever fun they've been having without the thread getting buried. 

Un-fun stuff is generally worth either its own thread or a Bug Report, so please don't fill this thread with page-long flames about how I ruined, ruined your favorite strat in build 24 by nerfing the Gondolian Throwing Scythe  :lol:

Now we won't end up accidentally having discussion's on the various threads throughout the forum*, and instead have it in a place where people shall be more likely to read is! Huzzah!

*I cannot see the future.

Do the bolas do anything other than being blunt? And as a follow up, are there any benefit to blunt weapons?

Also, omg nobody told me you could use left-ctrl to shield bash!  :grin:

Bolas are horse-killers you can throw.  They're fairly useful against enemies with a lot of horsemen, somewhat useless otherwise.

Blunt weapons still do non-lethal damage, but for the most part they are completely worthless as serious combat weapons, which is why there aren't very many of them.

That would explain my lack of competent swadian macemen... Dyou think you could possibly put bracing into the game for pikemen? Not neccesarilly as your pikemen, but maybe as your champion itself? One way to do it that seems logical would be to use the system for couching lances with pikemen, so that said pikes only work when someone runs into them at speed (such as on horseback)...

Swadian Macemen should be fairly effective against heavily-armored troops; their weapons aren't doing Blunt, they do Pierce.

Most maces in the game do Pierce damage and as most of the long-term players know, certain weapons like the Manhunter's Polehammer are really very close to perfect weapons.  This more-or-less reflects my research about these arms.

IRL, maces in the later Middle Ages were built around the concept of concentrating as much force as possible into a small surface area.  The classic flange maces, for example, were designed to concentrate the majority of a well-aimed blow upon the tips of the flanges.  Tests with these weapons indicate that they were capable of piercing plate armors to some degree, but were excellent at transmitting blunt force trauma into the target.

So if Swadian Macemen suck, the issue is probably one of reach or armor; their weapons should be really deadly for assault battles or encounter scenarios where reach doesn't matter much, like when you take a stacked infantry line and collide it with an enemy infantry charge. 

Where Macemen aren't terribly useful is against heavier cavalry; there reach plays a pretty big role and you'll want spearmen, halberdiers or pikes up front, macemen a pace or two behind to kill cavalry that penetrates the front line.  The opposite formation can be extremely dangerous vs. infantry with two-handed swords, as the maces block quickly, the macemen get shields, and the polearms can still strike.

@Epicrules:  Spearmen and pikemen who don't have grenades and are stacked (use Stand Closer 4X or more to form a phalanx-like formation) do very well against cavalry for cost, imo.  The main issue with them is that they really shouldn't be kept with infantry that uses swing attacks- that type of infantry generally does better in a looser stance, whereas spears do better with a tight formation.  That, and unless the proportions are right, cavalry will go around the flanks a lot. A great tactic is to have troops with two-handed swords, axes or slashing polearms in a second line with a stacked unit of pikes in front and missile troops behind; that's a pretty efficient horse-killer and it tends to mulch most infantry very effectively.

Scutshake said:
Seems like a nice mod downloading now  :grin:

I personally think you'll enjoy it. Although, you'll want to play on Normal mode to get all of the features [skeletons, etc]. Although not really ALL the features, come to think of it. But your world will be better off without the dark hordes and holy armies...

Got this mod last night and gave it a good few hours...

Absolutely brilliant stuff!!  I'd say my favourite mod for Warband so far, and I've tried plenty.  Thanks to all involved

My usual formation is to have infantry in the front, archers in the back on a raised hill, and cavalry charging suicidally to buy my greater force some time. What I'm wondering is what do you think are the best infantry for a shield wall? and the best ranged (non-cannon). Personally, I use swadian royal swordsmen and sarranid snipers, but I'm wondering if there's better

It really depends on who you're fighting and how you want to go about it.  I generally go inf and archer-heavy, and use cavalry as a wave finisher.

Now that I'm removing waves, though, it's probably down to whether your inf can defeat a cavalry rush and of course there will be new problems; I suspect deciding what to use is going to get a lot more tricky.

i'm all about surviving the enemy's initial cavalry rush to do so i make a "wall" of cavalry and tell the pikemens to charge as soon most of the enemy charge hit the wall

as soon the enemy cavalry is dealt for i call pikemen and horses back and tell regular infantry to hold position and rangers behind to pick all the rest

as archers i find the merc matchlocks guys very nice even in close combat

Epicrules said:
flare said:
as archers i find the merc matchlocks guys very nice even in close combat

Sounds like you haven't met the Grenadiers yet <3

i did and they use grenades only when charging which is something i rarely do with rangers, also looking at the reports mercs are more accurate or just hit harder

It's an early shotgun; Dragoons carried "dragons" which were basically sawn-off shotguns designed for use at short range.

In Blood and Steel, it's an area-effect weapon whose area grows with distance; used up close, it's incredibly lethal, used at a distance, it can frequently take out groups of unarmored men.  It's one of the most powerful weapons in the game, if used correctly.

And, i bet ya, you won't use it correctly the first time, its hard to manage.

Still 1 hour to go till the DL is finished. Damnit, why'd you bluescreen you mofo computer.

BTW, a little trick / tip for using Dragons:  due to the way they work, code-side, you're more likely to get a good result if you aim low.  Aim at people's knees, if firing at individuals. 

Also keep in mind that the Dragon, while very powerful against unarmored targets, is not terribly good against people in plate armors unless you're up close.  Up close, though, it can take down even the most powerful enemies in a single shot.

It's a great gun for sneaking into towns with, for example, since you can take out a couple of guards and then finish the rest of them off with hand weapons or run away to reload.

Back
Top Bottom