Gekokujo Vanilla Enhanced

Users who are viewing this thread

roal.yr said:
And my hardware is rather low-end: Intel Pentium 987 @1.5 GHz + Intel HD 3000, so performance is of a concern to me.
Have you considered just focusing 100% on performance than? I mean, anyone can make balance tweaks or change the units but the stuff you are doing with the graphics and performance just sounds too good to be true. So I say continue!

Well, I am not focusing on performance at 100%, I am focusing at making the performance and visuals in an appealing balance. And since Dx7 allows for greater performance, I am focusing at making Dx7 rendering pretty.

On a side note - I had tried making custom grass, but it looked too ugly, so I picked up original Gekokujo grass back. I will tweak it instead, cutting some excessive faces off and tweaking UVs. Also, maybe, tweaking the colors too.

Here's blood. It is less sprayish, but it is very well visible upon heavy hits (like with a couched lance)
j7FD4o.jpg

roal.yr said:
Well, I am not focusing on performance at 100%, I am focusing at making the performance and visuals in an appealing balance. And since Dx7 allows for greater performance, I am focusing at making Dx7 rendering pretty.

On a side note - I had tried making custom grass, but it looked too ugly, so I picked up original Gekokujo grass back. I will tweak it instead, cutting some excessive faces off and tweaking UVs. Also, maybe, tweaking the colors too.
Visuals count as performance in my context.

Skimmed through all the grass meshes and found only three types fitting: grass and two types of flowers. Everything else looks out of place. Also launched original 3.0 to compare and that made me reassured.
SC8LKI.jpg

OwuKqU.jpg

lDih7K.jpg

VlKDiX.jpg
Don't look at the ugly terrain borders, they ruin the picture. Tomorrow I will try to fiddle with them.
Also on the last screen you can see whole ground shaded. Must be some bug since I run the thing on linux through wine, and this happens anytime I switch to windowed mode, so ignore that darkness.

Also, according to my logs I have spent 32 hours modding this thing by this moment.

It also feels great to run around the scenes on the horse  :eek:. For that I'd even increase the scene size. But i am not entirely sure if it is a good idea since combat AI and stuff...

After six hours I found out how to make beautiful terrain borders. Now I constantly bump into the end of the map because it looks too seamless.
QnM4J3.jpg

vI07Pq.jpg
There are no trees for now and the mesh is rather blocky, but it is just a proof of a concept.
Obviously I would make some more skyboxes later. Also i wnt to try to randomize terrain borders for random scenes.
On a side note - I made rain and snow a bit more dense, so the particles are more noticeable.

So I have made a basic terrain border, upon which I will be making different variations. For now the world is rather empty, it need a lot of additional  vegetation, and vegetation in background (for terrain borders), some shrubs and so on. It is quite challenging to keep everything visually balanced while maintaining diversity, since in a worst case scenario things will just look messy... Even though it is not applicable to the nature. But these are sort of limitations of engine which do not allow for a more precise control of vegetation placement. Anyhow, for now I am taking a restm switching on my cheated character and watch him chop enemies (while under AI control) while I will be drinking tea and read book. Also, the blood now looks indeed much better.

Polished the terrain border even more, now the scenes look just amazing. Started working on leaf trees, maples, in particular. Currently finetuning the palette.

roal.yr said:
I might tunde down saturation a bit, otherwise there is no need to do anything *shrugs*.
Do you have any suggestions?

That's probably the only thing I'd suggest. And perhaps make anything that's black lacquer more black and slightly glossy.

Quick question: Any specific reason why you are not using 3.1 as a base? Wouldn't that be more in line with 'finishing' Gekokujo as what was intended by Marty?

Thanks for doing this sub-mod :smile:

Back
Top Bottom