Gekokujo: Submods (Announce, Release, Comment, and Suggest)

Users who are viewing this thread

Melphiz said:
Hanakoganei said:
A) So, if you hire them are they counted as yours, like patrols? I mean will the AI/enemy lords attack them?
B) I never really cared about them, they're only supposed to attack bandits, I guess?
Yes, they only attack bandits and deserters.

EDIT: Whoops, Hanakoganei beat me to it.

Ah, I thought I'd have to hire them for giving them troops, should've checked the module file :grin:
What plus do those ronin have when it comes to payment and battle ability, do you know that?

My farmers and caravans get usually harassed by enemy forces :grin: I hate the patrols are chasing enemy lords forever, noone left to protect my land, haha.

They're not very good really, compared to regular faction troops. They aren't wearing proper armor but they're not bad in combat if you keep them alive to upgrade them. You can actually already recruit the same Ronin sometimes from taverns. You may have seen them here and there.

The way I see it, having them in your party is something that'll be more useful in early game, because you recruit them for free but have to pay for their weekly wages, and in later game when you start owning fiefs they'll be more useful as extra patrols especially if you beef them up. They won't participate in wars but at least you won't have to worry too much about bandits in your territories, so your main forces can concentrate on the wars.

Quite useful considering there is absolutely nothing the player can do to really decrease the number of bandits. Only through patrols or personal (and constant) action can you really keep them at bay. Just 24 hours of not paying them attention and their numbers multiply.

so if i did go ahead and make a submod that allows for yari to use the over thrust from NW module, would i be able to make that downloadable for others or would it have to stay for my own personal use (due to using animations from the dlc)

belgarion234 said:
so if i did go ahead and make a submod that allows for yari to use the over thrust from NW module, would i be able to make that downloadable for others or would it have to stay for my own personal use (due to using animations from the dlc)
As jacobhinds pointed previously, the animation is already inside ani_attacks.brf file. If you use that one then there is no problem with releasing it.

Articulo34 said:
belgarion234 said:
As jacobhinds pointed previously, the animation is already inside ani_attacks.brf file. If you use that one then there is no problem with releasing it.
sweet, i'll make some quick changes to all the  yari using morghs editor and then i'll probably upload it to me
EDIT: ok so its a little more complicated than i thought....  i know people have done this for vanilla mount and blade, so i'll take a look at what they did first and see if i can do the same here while still keeping the standard overswing on the nagamaki and naginata

EDIT 2:  if anyone knows links to tutorials that could help with this, that would be greatly appreciated

ok, so what i did now is replace the standard overswing with the overthrust animation and changed the overswing for nagamakis and naginatas to the 2h overswing so that way they still overswing instead of thrust.  i also have changed all yari swing damage to piercing, but still need to make the damage for overthrust and under thrust equal (i eliminated side slashes).  just one problem i found while testing, the overthrust animation is performed much much quicker than the standard thrust, i'll work on that next.  anyone know how to lengthen the attack animation? 
also, is there a way to edit the AI so they stay a certain distance to use their weapons?  they always rush up into your face even though their spears are ineffective at that range

Yeah that aspect of the AI is hardcoded. It gets them killed a lot but in general if you hold them in formation, it reduces the risk of that a little. A little.

Anyway you don't need to replace the overhead swing animation with the overhead stab one. They can exist together so that the naginatas and stuff still use the proper swings.

I'm currently narrowing down all the steps to relay here. I got it to work but I'm double checking to make sure I didn't accidentally do something stupid.

- edit: Okay here's how to get overhead spear thrust animations. I recommend you edit the module system files and recompile instead of tweaking the .txt files.

0. Back your source files and the .txt files up if necessary.

1. In header_items.py, you need to either define a new variable or edit the existing one. I edited an existing one: itc_spear.

2. Define the animations in the variable. You need it to have all the existing animations in itc_spear then add a new one, itcf_overswing_spear. You can add other animations here if you want, such as if you want spears to have sideways attacks, though I don't recommend it. Don't forget the | separator. Save and exit.

3. Now, go to module_items.py, look at all the spears you want to change. It'll likely be all of the ones that say "yari". Add a flag called itp_has_upper_stab along with the other itp flags, then change their itc_staff animation flag into your itc flag. Again, in my case it was itc_spear. Save and exit once you've edited the ones you want.

4. In module_animations.py, search for "ready_overswing_spear". In the next line after it, it says:
Code:
 ["ready_overswing_spear", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_use_inertia|amf_keep|amf_client_owner_prediction,
    [ready_durn, "spear_thrust_overhead", 0, 20, blend_in_ready],
 ],
 ["release_overswing_spear", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_continue_to_next,
     [0.6, "spear_thrust_overhead", 20, 41, blend_in_release],
 ],
 ["release_overswing_spear_continue", 0, amf_priority_continue|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_client_owner_prediction,
   [0.3, "spear_thrust_overhead", 41, 52, arf_blend_in_2],
 ],
 ["parried_overswing_spear", 0, amf_priority_parried|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play,
   [0.3, "spear_thrust_overhead", 26, 22, arf_blend_in_2],
 ],
 ["blocked_overswing_spear", 0, amf_priority_blocked|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play,
  [0.3, "spear_thrust_overhead", 26, 22, arf_blend_in_2],
],
The "spear_thrust_overhead" is a non-existent animation, or at least wherever that came from, we don't have the .brf file for it. So we'll have the file read from the ani_attacks.brf, and use the same timing values that Native uses for them. Replace all that with:

Code:
 ["ready_overswing_spear", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_use_inertia|amf_keep|amf_client_owner_prediction,
    [ready_durn, "attacks_staff_thrust_overhead", 6, 21, blend_in_ready],
 ],
 ["release_overswing_spear", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_continue_to_next,
     [0.6, "attacks_staff_thrust_overhead", 21, 43, blend_in_release],
 ],
 ["release_overswing_spear_continue", 0, amf_priority_continue|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_client_owner_prediction,
   [0.3, "attacks_staff_thrust_overhead", 43, 50, arf_blend_in_2],
 ],
 ["parried_overswing_spear", 0, amf_priority_parried|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play,
   [0.3, "attacks_staff_thrust_overhead", combat+7017, combat+7014, arf_blend_in_2],
 ],
 ["blocked_overswing_spear", 0, amf_priority_blocked|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play,
  [0.3, "attacks_staff_thrust_overhead", combat+7017, combat+7014, arf_blend_in_2],
 ],

Then save and exit.

5. Compile the files. If it shows up with any errors or warnings you made a mistake somewhere. Double check what you did and make sure you didn't miss any of the separators or commas especially in module_items.py.
Separator: |
Comma: ,

6. Copy the compiled files from the Files folder into your Gekokujo folder.

If you did all that correctly you should have whichever spear-type weapons you set using the overhead stab instead of a downward swing.

off topic question:

Do japanese on 16th century do overhead stabs? I heard somebody said that japanese in that era are more likely to swing their yari instead of stabbing them lol

Spears were likely used with practicality in mind. You can teach any peasant to use them in formation, and depending on the formations and types of spears, and the general philosophies of the commanders of course, all kinds of attacks could've been used. I don't think it was as dependent on culture as it was on those factors. I know this because unlike in games where we have like separate controls for "overhead" and normal stabs, in real life you will poke your spear any way you can in any opening you can.

You'd swing a yari from horseback but on foot, you'd mostly stab. They weren't axes.
Naginata are odd weapons in that you can use them with your left arm leading (like a spear) or your right arm leading (like a glaive/axe). But unlike the chinese guandao it was still largely centred around stabbing and deflecting blows, if you were on foot. The huge baseball-bat swings you see in native weren't what the naginata was designed for.

jacobhinds said:
You'd swing a yari from horseback but on foot, you'd mostly stab. They weren't axes.
Naginata are odd weapons in that you can use them with your left arm leading (like a spear) or your right arm leading (like a glaive/axe). But unlike the chinese guandao it was still largely centred around stabbing and deflecting blows, if you were on foot. The huge baseball-bat swings you see in native weren't what the naginata was designed for.
On horseback you would use rather short yari, if you'd use yari at all. And still you would use it mostly to thrust (or you'd be better off with a naginata). While the yari does have some cutting ability, it does not cut anywhere near as well as weapons designed to cut. And such a small blade relative to its rather large pole, it would be very difficult indeed to get the edge alignment right and the cut would be extremely ineffective. Cuts with the yari are draw or push cuts, with very little - if any - swinging involved. From horseback, if you were galloping at speed, you'd risk either knocking the yari out of your hands, knocking yourself off balance or breaking the weapon if you swung at a target as you were passing. If caught stationary, however, you might resort to swinging it in order to threaten as many quarters around the horse as possible. But any dedicated attack from the yari is bound to be a thrust, whether on horseback or not.

As I played a bit further, I encountered a minor bug which I still can't explain (a global variable for checking spouse/betrothed used in only one menu collided with the freelancer trigger for checking if the player won the revolt ...).
But as I was able to fix it, the update V 1.2.2-R is now available (see the update notes at the main-post)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,305602.msg7343283.html#msg7343283

Is there any chance someone can create a submod that does the swing/stab replacement for certain polearms (yaris, spears, etc. but not naginatas) talked about in some of the previous posts? That would be awesome.

Or maybe it is already sneakily included in one of the already posted submods and I just did not notice?

iskar said:
Is there any chance someone can create a submod that does the swing/stab replacement for certain polearms (yaris, spears, etc. but not naginatas) talked about in some of the previous posts? That would be awesome.

Or maybe it is already sneakily included in one of the already posted submods and I just did not notice?
You can do it yourself. Hanakoganei posted this to explain how: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,305602.msg7402961.html#msg7402961

Yeah I don't recommend simply copy pasting .txt tweaks for something like this. It requires editing multiple files and the chances of getting something wrong are much higher. At least if you do the module system thing, which I explained in careful detail, if you made any mistakes the compiler will tell you, and it doesn't overwrite the actual mod files yet. You only overwrite the files when you saw that the compiler didn't show any errors.

Also if you're intimidated with editing module system files, this is a good intro. It's not really scary especially when somebody's teaching you. Heck it's way scarier to edit the .txt files because they're mostly numbers that humans can't easily read.

Back
Top Bottom