Gekokujo - Daimyo Edition (Updated w/moddb link)

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone care to submit their opinion about this? Wait for another patch to fix bugs or is it a smooth experience already? Are the AI garrisons and army size considerably larger than in vanilla Gekokujo?

shaelor said:
Anyone care to submit their opinion about this? Wait for another patch to fix bugs or is it a smooth experience already? Are the AI garrisons and army size considerably larger than in vanilla Gekokujo?

Considerably larger? Not really, and unless you regularly used the recruiters (which I admittedly never have), then so far I haven't found any downsides to it vs base Gekokujo. Honestly I see this as an overall improvement that should definitely be tried out ^uu^

Hey, great mod. Quite a number of good improvements over vanilla Gekokujo, I especially like the historical armors (it always bothered me how in vanilla all of the famous lords just wore standard armors, so this was a great improvement), however I am having a small problem.

I encountered a bug when I started my game up. For whatever reason, I am unable to get the lance animations to work. I have it set to automatic, however whenever I am on horseback my character just holds the lance to his neck (which looks a little odd, as it clips through his neck, and with swords it looks like he is about to cut off his head...) Manual doesn't work either. Also, the small dot which appears next to your weapon indicating that it is ready to be crouched on horseback is gone (I tried several different spears and polearms, all of which were crouchable in vanilla, but in this version none of them work). Also, my character on horseback keeps fidgeting around for some reason, especially when moving. He moves his weapon from left to right every second, and it looks a little odd, and spears that can only thrust aren't usable on horseback, despite not having the "not usable on horseback" trait.

One other thing (and this is a bit random), I would like to change the colors of the textures on some of the armors and helmets. Is there any way for me to do that through some editing tool?

Thereon Inarek said:
Hey, great mod. Quite a number of good improvements over vanilla Gekokujo, I especially like the historical armors (it always bothered me how in vanilla all of the famous lords just wore standard armors, so this was a great improvement), however I am having a small problem.

I encountered a bug when I started my game up. For whatever reason, I am unable to get the lance animations to work. I have it set to automatic, however whenever I am on horseback my character just holds the lance to his neck (which looks a little odd, as it clips through his neck, and with swords it looks like he is about to cut off his head...) Manual doesn't work either. Also, the small dot which appears next to your weapon indicating that it is ready to be crouched on horseback is gone (I tried several different spears and polearms, all of which were crouchable in vanilla, but in this version none of them work). Also, my character on horseback keeps fidgeting around for some reason, especially when moving. He moves his weapon from left to right every second, and it looks a little odd, and spears that can only thrust aren't usable on horseback, despite not having the "not usable on horseback" trait.

One other thing (and this is a bit random), I would like to change the colors of the textures on some of the armors and helmets. Is there any way for me to do that through some editing tool?
Lance animation were taken out because of historical reasons, Japanese didnt use their spears for couched attack.

You can edit textures using paint.net its a free software.

Thank you :smile:

Aruda said:
Thereon Inarek said:

Lance animation were taken out because of historical reasons, Japanese didnt use their spears for couched attack.

You can edit textures using paint.net its a free software.

Thank you :smile:

Are you sure about that? I have heard quite a number of battles (such as at Mikatagahara) talking about Japanese cavalry charges with spears, so they must have developed a technique similar to, if not identical to the European cavalry charge, especially since Japan were trading a lot with Europe during this time. As for using spear on horseback, the crouched position is quite a simple technique that was invented independently by several different cultures. Placing the spear under the arm for better stability is a rather basic tactic, and the lance/spear can be retrieved by simply rotating to the side (minus the extremely long lances used during the Renaissance in Europe, which were actually designed to snap off). If the Japanese didn't do this, then what did they do? Do you happen to have any information on this subject?

I don't mean to sound critical. I'm just a little skeptical.

Also, thanks for the reply.  :grin:

One other thing, can I edit spear usage on horseback using Morgh's tool, or will I have to use a different program?

You can reenable crouche lancing with morghs tool. I didnt disable the feature Suguroku submod did, and i watched movies, shows and read books on japanese warfare never saw European style croucjed lancing they used their spears to swing thats why they have different styles of yari and also japanese cavalry used naginata alot which is also used for swinging. Some of them may used crouched lance but i think many of them didnt.:smile:

You can always edit the small things you didnt like in the mod the morghs tool is a great help indeed.

Aruda said:
You can reenable crouche lancing with morghs tool. I didnt disable the feature Suguroku submod did, and i watched movies, shows and read books on japanese warfare never saw European style croucjed lancing they used their spears to swing thats why they have different styles of yari and also japanese cavalry used naginata alot which is also used for swinging. Some of them may used crouched lance but i think many of them didnt.:smile:

You can always edit the small things you didnt like in the mod the morghs tool is a great help indeed.

I wouldn't exactly call movies a reliable source. Even documentaries can be rather inaccurate (this is due to the fact that they almost never cite anything, which is a major problem these days within the historical community). As for polearm usage on horseback, I know of almost no documentation of the specific tactics used with the naginata and yari on horseback in Japan, and have only seen a few historical paintings depicting such things. Interestingly enough though, the guan dao in China, along with the Korean equivalent, was used on horseback. We can see this in the Muye Dobo Tongji, which is a Korean manual on warfare which was commissioned in the late 18th century to instruct troops on how to fight in combat. It teaches how to use the guan dao on horseback with both hands (steering the horse with one's feet), but the manual also mentions the usage of the long spear (lance) on horseback, and shows similar techniques to China and Europe. Here's a link, if you are interested  :grin:. https://www.chineselongsword.com/korean

I believe the phrase "there are only so many ways to skin a cat" would apply in the case of the naginata and spear. Since the naginata is basically the same functionally speaking as the guan dao, I have no doubt it would have been used in similar ways. This would also likely apply to slash oriented yari. The thing is though, most yari were not built for slashing, most notably the ones created in the Sengoku period, which could reach lengths of anywhere between nine and seventeen feet (or about 3 to 6 meters). Slashing with these is horribly impractical, the balance favors the thrust with longer polearms (that, and they had very small blades), and since the Japanese of this time borrowed from the Chinese, Koreans, and Europeans terms of tactics, it would not surprise me if they used the spear "crouched" (in fact, it would surprise me if they didn't).

Depictions of Japanese cavalry charges are however scarce. Historic texts only mention them either using the bow (more common in pre-Sengoku period and during the Edo period) or a long spear to counter yari formations, so I can't say anything about how the used them. Paintings of the time usually depict them resting the lance before charging, but they never actually show cavalry in combat with anything other than a bow. I find it more likely than not that they would have rested the spear under their arm, as trying to thrust with a spear on horseback can be rather painful due to the tremendous force produced upon impact (which can jolt the spear out from your hand if you don't have it properly gripped).

Anyways.... I went on for a bit too long there...  :dead:

I'm going to... go play with morgh's tool... hehe...

You got some point. However some yari had some kind of "hook" other than their main spearhead for slashing and by movies i meant kurosawa's movies and other rather reliable movies and documentaries, yes cavalry charges are unknown in Japanese writings. I agree with guandao and naginata usage too. Anyway have fun with the morghs tool  :grin:

Aruda said:
You got some point. However some yari had some kind of "hook" other than their main spearhead for slashing and by movies i meant kurosawa's movies and other rather reliable movies and documentaries, yes cavalry charges are unknown in Japanese writings. I agree with guandao and naginata usage too. Anyway have fun with the morghs tool  :grin:

Yes, that would be the katakama and jumonji yari. They both had hook like protrusions, which were sharpened. I'm not sure if these were ever used on horseback, but I do know they were popular infantry weapons. They essentially had the same function as many types of European polearms, such as the bill (on a side note, I won't dare talk about the over complexity of European polearm classifications. They are absurd. You change one tiny detail and it becomes a completely different weapon  :dead:). The hooks were used for striking, grabbing at an opponent, and parrying, much like the French bec de corbin (except without the blunt protrusions on one side).

I may also have to watch these Kurosawa movies you talk about. Don't believe I have ever seen any. Sounds interesting if they are historically accurate.

Cheers!

[Okay, now I feel like I'm becoming a spammer... this is probably my fifth post here XD]

I was having a small issues with Morgh's tool. I managed to enable crouching for the spears on horseback... but the hitbox for the crouched charge is so tiny that it is impossible to hit anything. I managed to hit two people... over the course of an hour of testing. Thrusting and slashing still works like normal, but crouched charges are impossible to do.

Does anyone know why this is? I can't seem to find anything in Morgh's tool that lets you change hitboxes, so I'm a tad confused.

My suggestion is to compare the spear you want to edit with the same spear from the vanilla gekokujo 3.0 on morghs tool so you can find the differences of these two.

First of all, I noticed that you have made some nice improvements... the UI screens look very cool, great new armours etc. I noticed you added some lighting effects in the houses also that I have seen in some other mod... Some new sounds and animations. I'm not that crazy about the metal music in battles, although I can appreciate some metal in daily life, but that's a detail and I can imagine many people like it  in the game...
Anyway, I wanted to ask if your version is based on the 3.0 or 3.1 of the original Gekokujo? The reason, that I had an issue with freeing prisoners and I thought that this issue was solved in the latest version. Concerning the issue: you meet yourself (your own character) and if you talk to a prisoner you get some weird dialogues that don't allow you to free them. I hope something can be done about this, hopefully something savegame compatible.

The metal music was a mistake, i accidentaly put older gekokujo music into the mod  :facepalm: The latest update brings back the traditional japanese music tho. Regarding the issue, the daimyo edition is based on gekokujo 3.0, i never experienced the bug you mentioned, i dont know if its still there or not but i rescued many a lords from dirty dungeons. Thank you for your interest, have fun!

Okay, thanks for the info and continuation of this great mod! I'll download that update. :wink: Concerning the issue, I had it before (I think when I played the 3.0 version) and I found somebody else reporting it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/48700/discussions/0/613948093895814678/

If I remember correctly I found somebody reporting it on this forum as well (detailed with pics), but I cannot find it anymore. Thought it was addressed in version 3.1, but not sure. All I know is that I played the game afterwards with a normal prison-break.

That is a very odd glitch, I don't believe I have heard of that one before. Must be strange, meeting yourself  :shock:

I'm also still having my bug. Lances don't work on horseback, they can't hit anything. I went into Morgh's tool and edited them, but there seems to be something deeper. I think the person who made Sugoroku fundamentally altered the way weapons work on horseback, or did something to the hitboxes. I can't seem to find what the problem is, and I even edited the weapons in an identical way to vanilla Gekokujo... does anyone know what is going on?

Also, the game crashes when I try talking to the deputy at Mii-Dera temple.

Can you please correct the spelling of my name in the opening post, it's missing than i *sadface* :wink:

Am thinking about playing Warband again and try your mod but ... too many games (also on PS4), not enough time aaaaargh.

MrSplashy said:
Haha! Nice, now I don't need to install some mods to make my experience with Gekokujo be more fun! Thank you!

Ya but it isn't perfect.  It has some minor bugs.  Like the world map "character" when on horse looks like stock Mount & Blade instead of Gekokujo.  Among a few other minor things I've noticed.  But oddly that one bugs me more than any other. 

That being said... that signature picture is like hypnotic. lol

Kameraden said:
Ya but it isn't perfect.  It has some minor bugs.  Like the world map "character" when on horse looks like stock Mount & Blade instead of Gekokujo.  Among a few other minor things I've noticed.  But oddly that one bugs me more than any other. 

My thoughts exactly. I just opened this topic to see if there is a fix posted by someone for this minor issue or if the latest update fixes it. It's just everything else looks so nice and polished and then theres this vanilla icon not fitting at all, when we all know Gekokujo already has both player and AI char 'samurai' icons. Please address this or maybe someone competent in modding can point us to how we can fix it ourselves.

For example I have Gekokujo 3.1 separately installed, where these icons are all good. Can't I somehow copy their files and then edit a game file to use them instead? Seems simple but I don't know what files to look for.

Thanks for the awesome mod, fixing such minor stuff will only make it even better!

I'm lovin' it so far, but I have one question - I'm not experienced with modding (as in editing files on my own) M&B - is there a way to revert back to the original Gekokujo female faces? I'm not really a fan of the anime look, even though it's far less than Gekonew and etc.

Back
Top Bottom