Gekokujo: Bugs and Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, the Troops would have YOUR clan name, instead of Hojo samurai in there name. Custom stats, custom name, have them wear better armor that looks cool to you, you know what if you want to hire and train your own Ninja? be a ninja clan or something.  Its a personal touch mostly. i mean the Hojo clan has there OWN troops, Tokugawa clan has there own troops, why can't i have My own Troops in My own clan like everyone else?.

Freeasabird said:

Well, the Troops would have YOUR clan name, instead of Hojo samurai in there name. Custom stats, custom name, have them wear better armor that looks cool to you, you know what if you want to hire and train your own Ninja? be a ninja clan or something.  Its a personal touch mostly. i mean the Hojo clan has there OWN troops, Tokugawa clan has there own troops, why can't i have My own Troops in My own clan like everyone else?.

Daimyo edition has that feature if you're still interested.

Bug report (using the steam workshop version): I asked to become a lay monk for the ikko ikki, and I couldn't escape the dialogue even though i tried to click to continue. However, I might've caused some minor issues in trying to mod the steam version.

Otherwise:
I think this mod could use some unit variety, and it's missing some historic stuff that'd just be cool.

Weapons:
Where's the Uchigatana? The poor man's katana, where art thou? You should be the sidearm of every Ashigaru who's made some money, and occasionally found at the side of a tachi.
Secondly, shouldn't all samurai who don't have a bow, have a spear, the Katana isn't a battlefield weapon. It's a sidearm. Think of Katanas as pistols and spears as rifles. Till they replace that spear with a naginata, nagamaki, Odachi or club, samurai should be with their spears.  Ashigaru should be spear+ the sidearm they can afford, which should get better as you increase their level.

Did you know the jingsa could be used as a buckler? I'm not saying it's going to be the greatest shield in the world, and to keep the game as it is, it should probably be awful, but it could add some variety to ashigaru units.

Now, It ain't the most accurate series, but like, a few ideas from shogun 2'd be grand. Grenades aren't that bad in the unspellable mod of south east asia (which is really, really good and'll get more than a mention here), and the armies of the Daimyo did employ fools to throw them. (not to mention, throwing weapons suck, and we don't wanna waist all that follower power-throw. Nor do we wanna add unhistorical ninja bull****)
I wanna mention fire rockets, but i don't wanna die. Bo-hiya launched from firearms were in use shortly after the portugese sold their first guns, and were most beloved by the navy and pirates. I understand it might be a technical pain in the ass to do, but damn wouldn't it light up a battlefield?

But I think the biggest thing that needs improving is the unit trees. They're very simple, and there isn't much fight variety. I'd say 90% of my battles are against spears and guns, with maybe a few archers in. When I raid a caravan, I'll get 1-3 novel cavalry, a few dangerous samurai archers to assassinate, and a swarm of free xp.

Samurai progression would be a lot cooler like this

------------------------------Mounted---Mounted officer
----------------retainer----- Veteran----Officer
Ji samurai-
                                                                          Fire Gunner (instead of hatamoto)
---------------Marksman----Gunner---Master Gunner
-------------------------------Archer--- Master Archer
------------------------------------------mounted archer (actually wondering if should be unlocked earlier so you could have an elite unit before Hatamoto) 

Additionally, some more variation within clans'd do good. Perhaps some hatamoto units might end up with nanban armour.

For Ashigaru
-----------------------Trained gunner----Veteran
---------Skirmisher--Trained Archer---- veteran
Villager                    (maybe Uchi)    (will have an uchigatana)
---------spearman---Trained spearman--veteran
-----------------------Pikeman----------Veteran

For mercenaries
Hired guard/yojimbo needs armour. Hired guards make caravans a joke. 
There's a nice system in the unspellable mod, where some villages are mercenary camps, you can of course find the same mercenaries in inns, but you can also be garanteed to find them in certain villages. I think that'd be worth a good shot, and maybe it'd encourage some factions to hire the mercenaries they would've historically hired.

New types of mercenary are needed!
Nanban (honestly, ask the guys with the SE asia mod for their wicked sick assets)
Nanban-------------- Veteran Nanban---------- Nanban Officer.
(gun+doublet, )      (+breastplate)              (Chance of better european armour, Troop should be extremely expensive and hard to train)
Explosives
Firebomb ashigaru, Firerocket ashigaru
Pirate
So long as they raid other countries, they're fine, right? Pirates were often in service to local warlords, and pirated rivals and foreigners for a daimyo's riches. Thus, you're probably more likely to be able to hire them in a tavern than find them being land-bandits. Consider them Ashigaru, with no pike option, and with more foreign weapons.

Ronin
Ronin weren't vigilantes, they were more often the badguy, or at least up for hire. For more accuracy, Ronin should have a very similar upgrade tree to samurai, with the first two levels having much weaker equipment due to being poor and landless.  Ronin should often be found on the map as bandits, in taverns for sale as mercenaries, or in the ikko army that is against samurai rule but'd be happy to take a few disenfranchised warriors who may be swayed by it's populist teachings. 

Sohei (warrior monks)
Where to begin?
I couldn't find as much as I wanted to on Sohei, but they didn't all follow the Ikko Ikki (and the ones that did would've varied from eachother). Granted you can capture a couple of forts to recruit them, but that's a very out of the way, unlikely thing for anyone to realistically do. I guess an option could be to use a method described above, and use villages for temples, or put monks in taverns like mercenaries.  It's not an accurate game, but S2 gives the Usegi clan easy access, Puts a fair few monasteries on the map,  and it was damn cool to field them(also wanted: more Warrior monk items; Huge prayer beads and swanky clothes over armour will be greatly appreciated) Some regional variation'd be great too; Simple things like different headwear or weapon preference, each temple having a "hatamoto" equivalent, would be great. The cost and effectiveness of warrior monks should too go up, they shouldn't be 10 mon to recruit, they were far closer to samurai in skill than simple peasants

(also, Sohei'll have a sword or other sidearm as backup to their polarm OR bow, probably a glorious uchigatana, they won't be carrying a polearm AND a bow, though honestly I've only fought monk rebels enough to pick up on this, I don't know about the ikko) 

I've not modded M+B but, from previous modding experience, I think most of this is very basic, probably a bit tedius, with maybe one or two things that's difficult but doable. Anyone got interest?

Innocent Flower said:
Weapons:
Where's the Uchigatana?
It's pretty much everywhere. It's simply called "katana", which is how they would have referred to it. You have the same amount of katana in the game as tachi. The only visual difference in the game is that katana are worn edge up, whereas tachi are worn edge down.

Wouldn't it be good to differentiate the swords of the elite from cheaper swords though? I know the literal translations of the names, but you've got some of the more esoteric Japanese blades in this mod, it's a bit odd to just group something under 'katana'

Also, from my experience, Tachi are much rarer finds than katanas, probably due to the rarity of cavalry.

Innocent Flower said:
Wouldn't it be good to differentiate the swords of the elite from cheaper swords though? I know the literal translations of the names, but you've got some of the more esoteric Japanese blades in this mod, it's a bit odd to just group something under 'katana'
You won't find a weapon labelled "cheap" - though that is a modifier available for use (not sure it has any effect, though). But you do have "rusty" and "chipped", which gives them worse stats and also makes them cheaper. On the other end of the scale you have"masterwork" and "tempered". Mind you, I removed all "tempered" modifiers wherever I could find them (because the Japanese did not temper their weapons) and gave them "heavy" instead. In addition, you have weapons made by notable smiths (Masamune, Yamashiro, Muramasa etc.) which have better stats than the plain versions, and are also significantly more expensive. So you do have a scale from cheap to expensive.

Also, from my experience, Tachi are much rarer finds than katanas, probably due to the rarity of cavalry.
Well, there you go, then. This makes the katana (or uchigatana, if you will) more common.

I just noticed, playing Sugoroku submod in WB 1.168, that my Hojo skirmishers are sometimes equipped with teppo. But when I ask to see their equipment, there is no teppo there. And when I check the editor, still no teppo there. But they nevertheless use teppo in battle.

I've done a bit of testing and can only reaffirm the anomaly. It's not the editor that's screwing up, either - I double checked by reading troops.txt directly:

trp_gekokujo_hojo_skirmisher Hojo_Skirmisher Hojo_Skirmishers 0 69206016 0 0 42 135 0
  131 0 202 0 221 0 604 0 277 0 508 0 511 0 580 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0 -1 0
  7 5 4 4 9
30 30 30 94 30 30 30
274 131072 0 17 0 0
  17180934146 2350150802641323738 1970403 0 33270301903 5332252992743669759 2095487 0
The bit in bold is the inventory. It matches perfectly with what the editor says: the only weapons there are tanto, practice yumi and target arrows. No firearms, no bullets. And most of them will be equipped exactly as above, most of the time. But there is a significant chance they'll enter battle with firearms, and I have no idea why. And I can't help but think that this is something which doesn't just affect Hojo skirmishers.

Edit: I should add that I have never made any changes to this particular unit.

I also found this bit:

PPQ_Purple said:
The_Normal_Anomaly said:
I had wished to try running a cheap unit gun force, and found that I couldn't count on the ikko skirmishers to be equipped as the equipment screen says.
That's a feature and not a bug. Ashigaru skirmishers have mixed bow and gun equipment which is assigned at random to them at the start of each battle to reflect the actual way troops were equipped at the time. If you want a pure gun or pure arrow force you have to get samurai troops.
So I have to wonder: is this feature hard coded, for some reason? Because it seems only reasonable that such a feature would have been implemented in troops.txt, but such is not the case. And given that each skirmisher only has 30 in firearms skill I'm not sure how well executed this feature is.

Mixed skirmishers is not a hard coded feature. If you know what you are doing you can change it in the source code and then compile it again. There is even a patch for Sugoroku (for Gekokujo 3.0) that removes it. Unfortunately it is not compatible with Sugoroku for Geko 3.1 nor with Daimyo Edition.

Articulo34 said:
Mixed skirmishers is not a hard coded feature. If you know what you are doing you can change it in the source code and then compile it again. There is even a patch for Sugoroku (for Gekokujo 3.0) that removes it. Unfortunately it is not compatible with Sugoroku for Geko 3.1 nor with Daimyo Edition.
As long as I know there's an intentional explanation for it. I don't particularly mind the feature; I was just afraid that all my troop editing was for nought. As it happens, I've tampered with pretty much all units except skirmishers.

Although... I did change the Oda elite skirmisher to elite spearman instead. Is that going to be a problem?

My Gekokujo crashes 1/10 times I enter a conversation with a lord on the campaign map.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

*I have cheats enabled and also have load textures on demand enabled.*

I have the following problem: I am trying to recruit Musashi, the Cheat menu lists him at Odawara inn, however he is not there, i tried to recruit the other companion that is there, and reload the scene several times. I already searched in all the other towns. might he be bugged somehow and spawn outside the walls or something?

I was a samurai for a lord and got captured and escaped. However, my status shows as "prisoner of <xyz> clan". Also, there's occassionally an event that says "player was released from captivity" along with a bunch of other lords where my money balance gets reset to 0. I'm running the latest non-daimyo version of Gekokujo. Nice mod, but this is just 50th in-game day and this bug is kind of apparent.

vetiarvind said:
I was a samurai for a lord and got captured and escaped. However, my status shows as "prisoner of <xyz> clan". Also, there's occassionally an event that says "player was released from captivity" along with a bunch of other lords where my money balance gets reset to 0. I'm running the latest non-daimyo version of Gekokujo. Nice mod, but this is just 50th in-game day and this bug is kind of apparent.
This is a bug with the Freelancer mod, which is part of Gekokujo. The only way to avoid it is to save often, and reload if you happen to be captured after losing a battle.

Absolutely outrageous, rediculously hard to implement suggestion; but would it be possible to have your armour's colour, or the clothes underneath, dictated by the heraldry flag you pick? 

Another rediculous and outrageous suggestion; Would it be possible to have the glove slot be your entire arm? I feel this would work a whole lot better with japanese armour.

Hard suggestion: grenades, mortars and rockets
Easy suggestion; Bo shuriken

Suggestion: More clans have access to warrior monks forts.
Suggestion: Unique villages with different troop trees.

Easy Minor suggestion: Mino raincoats. Would make such a difference.
Easy minor suggestion; Shields. They'll can be small and weak if you want, but Ashigaru, pirates and even a few samurai used handheld shields. Not often, but enough. Jingsa shields would be quite nice too.

Innocent Flower said:
Easy Minor suggestion: Mino raincoats. Would make such a difference.
Aren't these already in the game? Granted, I haven't played this mod in ages so I could be wrong, but I seem to recall their presence...

Hey, guys. There's a new bug I came across. It has major effect on gameplay.

Prologue: Everything was going fine. I have nearly all companions of gekokujo, upgraded them to be my generals with expensive armor and weapons.

The Bug:
All of a sudden, when I logged in to my save file, my character turned bald. I went to my keep in Sakai and found the Treasurer naked. I thought it negligible at first. But then I attacked an enemy party, then auto-looted for my companions to receive better stuff.

-----> They all through away their swords and armor and became naked. I tried re-setting the auto-loot preferences, and tested it by auto-looting the empty item pool at the "camp" section. Still, they all dropped their swords and armors.

Conclusion:

I am clueless and dismayed. This is a game I completed using very hard difficulties settings, and I managed to destroy a few factions completely. Now I am discouraged from playing because of this game-breaking bug.

Side note:
This happened after a windows 8 update. Before the said update, nothing was wrong with my save file.

Novo said:
Hey so I just recently started playing Gekokujo: Hatamoto Edition and well... to put it simply my Main Character just won't die. During any kind of battle or siege when my dude's HP is gone it just goes right back to full. Although you might think being immortal is awesome this becomes incredibly annoying when you're surrounded by enemy units and you can't retreat because they're too close to you. This doesn't happen in native or in any other mod also my character dies normally during tournaments and bar brawls. Something in the scripts perhaps?

Wrong place to post since that is a sub mod, this is a section for the vanilla version of the Gekokujo mod(3.0/3.1) You’ll need to contact the submodder of this ‘Hatamoto edition’ for that. In any case, the original vanilla mod isn’t being worked on anymore to the best of my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom