Garrison troop tier?

Users who are viewing this thread

mortache

Recruit
So I suddenly own most of the Khuzait fiefs after expelling the clan that held those (tier 4 with only 2 members). Is it better to spam a lot of tier 3 garrisons? Or should I put top tier troops there? I think the tier 6 noble troops cost double for the same security value compared to a recruit, but they also eat less food i.e provide more prosperity. Also, castles can make them cost less which is great to store them and train the low tier troops.

Also, is max security worth it in fiefs with low taxes? Does a castle need less troops for the same security? What about Caravan units that don't level up, especially tier 3 armed traders?

Last edited:
What i do is put some elite troops and the rest are tier 2 and 3 for the numbers to make it less desirable for the AI to target it.
It really depends on the location and if you want to bait the enemy to attack a specific location or not.
If it is not bringing you too much money, put less elites.
I like to have security high because it boosts loyalty as well and gives relationship bonuses
If you imprison lords, high security fiefs will have a higher chance to keep them in the dungeons longer

I only use armed traders if i am low on garrison and want to remedy that quickly. They have no armor and they are frankly pathetic, if i fill my garrison, i either donate them or give them to my other parties

I'm losing 5,000 gold a day with mostly tier 5 to 3 garrison troops. I want to replace most of them with "Militia spearmen and archers" but don't know how to get them, apart from hiring prisoners.

I'm currently keeping about 200 garrison in castles and 300 in cities, to deter war .. expensive but seems to be working.

I'm losing 5,000 gold a day with mostly tier 5 to 3 garrison troops. I want to replace most of them with "Militia spearmen and archers" but don't know how to get them, apart from hiring prisoners.

I'm currently keeping about 200 garrison in castles and 300 in cities, to deter war .. expensive but seems to be working.

Those seem like a LOT of garrisons. I wouldn't suggest keeping as many unless those fiefs are in the frontier against an enemy at war. You're better off patrolling around and keep at most half as much garrison. If an enemy army comes you can just go inside your fiefs and raise defender numbers. Its also a good idea to let them start a siege battle, get casualties due to massive disadvantage and then you swoop in when the garrison is low to defeat the rest of the army and gain huge amounts of prisoners wounded from previous battle. I don't like breaking inside my fiefs for siege defense usually because I carry high tier troops and have low tactics.

Anyway, having militia or armed traders on your payroll is quite terrible because they are terrible troops and still take your money. But if you boost your settlement militia (i.e separate from garrisons) they are fantastic because they're free.

Last edited:
Those seem like a LOT of garrisons. I wouldn't suggest keeping as many unless those fiefs are in the frontier against an enemy at war. You're better off patrolling around and keep at most half as much garrison. If an enemy army comes you can just go inside your fiefs and raise defender numbers. Its also a good idea to let them start a siege battle, get casualties due to massive disadvantage and then you swoop in when the garrison is low to defeat the rest of the army and gain huge amounts of prisoners wounded from previous battle. I don't like breaking inside my fiefs for siege defense usually because I carry high tier troops and have low tactics.
There is a perk in tactics that further decreases casualties, that alone is making put points in tactics.

What i do is put some elite troops and the rest are tier 2 and 3 for the numbers to make it less desirable for the AI to target it.
It really depends on the location and if you want to bait the enemy to attack a specific location or not.
If it is not bringing you too much money, put less elites.
I like to have security high because it boosts loyalty as well and gives relationship bonuses
If you imprison lords, high security fiefs will have a higher chance to keep them in the dungeons longer

I only use armed traders if i am low on garrison and want to remedy that quickly. They have no armor and they are frankly pathetic, if i fill my garrison, i either donate them or give them to my other parties
I didn't know about security affecting prisoner escape chance! I always just drop them in other clan's dungeons for opinion and influence boost.

This is less about defense and more about security and prosperity. I don't know how the autocalc compares different troops but AFAIK they prefer closer targets, so I'll usually put more troops in frontier garrisons if I'm away. But my strat is usually massive offensives and continuous war on a single faction, making their armies small and weak as clans start leaving.

I didn't know about security affecting prisoner escape chance! I always just drop them in other clan's dungeons for opinion and influence boost.

This is less about defense and more about security and prosperity. I don't know how the autocalc compares different troops but AFAIK they prefer closer targets, so I'll usually put more troops in frontier garrisons if I'm away. But my strat is usually massive offensives and continuous war on a single faction, making their armies small and weak as clans start leaving.
To be honest, food needs to be looked at, it is a shame that all the garrison upgrades and perks are useless now since you would be starving your towns way before reaching the bonuses they give. Starving also reduces your garrison so it is not like you have a choice between heavy defense at the cost of prosperity, it is just pure loss to have massive garrisons.

FOOD is you real resource here, 20 troops eat 1 food, so you want to use some mix of t3 and t4 troop to get get decent security (not hurting loyalty) without tanking your food supply or paying too much. They give thier tier in security, but obviously too many t4-6 troops will cost much much more then t3 troops.
Beyond that you wan to look at how much the town and villages actually pay you and see how much you're willing to spend.
The other consideration is loyalty, if you're a khuzait culture character then it's going to be fairly easy for you to have good loyalty in khuzait fiefs, but if not you may want to spend more to have more security (thus more + loyalty) to prevent loyalty from dropping too low.

To be honest, food needs to be looked at, it is a shame that all the garrison upgrades and perks are useless now since you would be starving your towns way before reaching the bonuses they give. Starving also reduces your garrison so it is not like you have a choice between heavy defense at the cost of prosperity, it is just pure loss to have massive garrisons.
Agreed with food. Prosperity increases population, so a too high prosperity will have an impact on food because of high pop.
Also AI’s armies sometimes pass in your fief and almost empties it from food. So having spare food in inventory to refill towns through trade menu can help. (Art of the trade quests can help storing food, I put it in the stash).
And last, many prisonner troops seem to be fed also. So to be checked sometimes to ensure food amount availability.

Agreed with food. Prosperity increases population, so a too high prosperity will have an impact on food because of high pop.
Also AI’s armies sometimes pass in your fief and almost empties it from food. So having spare food in inventory to refill towns through trade menu can help. (Art of the trade quests can help storing food, I put it in the stash).
And last, many prisonner troops seem to be fed also. So to be checked sometimes to ensure food amount availability.
A good little trick to use it to your advantage is to siege enemy towns till they starve and when you capture it, sell all your food at an amazing profit range.

So I suddenly own most of the Khuzait fiefs after expelling the clan that held those (tier 4 with only 2 members). Is it better to spam a lot of tier 3 garrisons? Or should I put top tier troops there? I think the tier 6 noble troops cost double for the same security value compared to a recruit, but they also eat less food i.e provide more prosperity. Also, castles can make them cost less which is great to store them and train the low tier troops.

Also, is max security worth it in fiefs with low taxes? Does a castle need less troops for the same security? What about Caravan units that don't level up, especially tier 3 armed traders?
Maxing out your garrison with tier 3 is the best bang for buck in terms of autocalc. The jump in cost between lower tiers and high tiers is in no way justified by their costs but low tier troops still eat the same food while providing less benefit in terms of Security. Maybe someone else can come in with the actual graph showing tier vs. Security vs. wages and break it down mathwise but I've settled on Tier 2 early on, followed by as many Tier 3 as the garrison will support after that. It seems to scare off the AI from successfully besieging when combined with upgraded walls.

Max Security isn't really worth it for its own sake, only to buck up Loyalty. No clue on if fewer troops contribute the same Security for a castle but since castles can't rebel it doesn't matter. Caravan guards that don't level up are useful so that the garrison doesn't accidentally auto-upgrade them.

Back
Top Bottom