Gangs, posses and other independant factions -update

Users who are viewing this thread

Peralta

Sergeant Knight
I posted this in the suggestion thread, but it's becoming quite a big idea for me, so here goes :smile:

Every party you encounter ingame is now related to a faction, but the whole game lacks the sense of freedom that in fact is so typical for Westerns.
Why not add some independant parties, who aren't bound to a larger faction (or sometimes without a location in posession), and aren't dirrectly involved in large scale wars.
For example: outlaw gangs with unique members/leader(s), unofficial posses looking for personal vendetta, etc.

So far, I found these (being as historically correct as possible):

Outlaw Gangs:

the James-Younger Gang
Active: 1866-1876.
Famous members: Jesse and Frank James, Cole, Jim, John and Bob Younger
Non-Hero gang members: Outlaws, Gunslingers, Stage Coach and Bank Robbers and maybe some former CSA.
The James-Younger Gang would be quite a challenging opponent, but could also make a valuable ally (if you aren't bound to any other faction than an Outlaw one).They would either have the ranch of a friend as their base or no set location at all.

Reno Gang
Active: 1866-1868
Famous members: Franklin (Frank), John, Simeon (Sim) and William (Bill) Reno
Non-Hero gang members: Train Robbers, Horse Thieves, Outlaws
A mid tier gang, with a possibly funny extra: there was a 5th brother and a sister, who weren't involved in the gang, named Clinton "Honest Clint" and Sarah...
note: they mainly acted in the midwest, but maybe could make an appearance at a preset time, with some fun quests built around the family story and stuff.

Posses and Law Enforcers:

I couldn't find any historic references to law enforcement groups that were active for longer than a couple of months, but this fictional group could replace them:

Woody's Roundup
A satiric interpretation of the characters of the Toy Story franchise.
Other gang members: Woody, Jessie, Prospector Pete, Andy and Bullseye
I know this one seems a bit farfetched, but it wouldn't be a 1-on-1 copy of the characters, but rather a small "hidden" reference to it.

Others:

- Ranches: independant from any gang or faction, selling only what they produce (for example: one ranch only sells meat and cow hides, another one sells grain, wheat, etc...)

- A bandit town: an independant town, ruled and populated only by criminals, outlaws, gamblers, etc.
This could be a very interesting source of quests and duels.

- Docks, train stations: a sepparate location in towns, with mercenaries for hire, special goods for sale, etc

More maybe comming up soon :wink:

Ah yes indeed- sorry, I didn't register you wanted to do it according to chronology. Well then- Wild Bunch is outta the quesiton. And so is good Ol' Mr Nutjob "Bloody" Bill Anderson. Shame though- nothing makes the party better than an armed madman :wink:

denwood1 said:
I LOVE this idea I FULLY support you with this idea, Peralta.

The ideas are there, but I can't do anything without the mod system of 1866, so as long as I don't get it, it's up to the team  :razz:

Hoodinski said:
Ah yes indeed- sorry, I didn't register you wanted to do it according to chronology. Well then- Wild Bunch is outta the quesiton. And so is good Ol' Mr Nutjob "Bloody" Bill Anderson. Shame though- nothing makes the party better than an armed madman :wink:

Yeah, because Anderson was the only armed madman in the whole Wild West at the time...

:mrgreen:

Eaglebucky said:
The James Gang would be totally accurate

I even think about making the James-Younger gang completely accurate, so only manned with the historical members:

the Younger Brothers (Cole, Jim, John, and Bob), the James Brothers (the infamous Jesse James and his brother Frank), Clell Miller, Arthur McCoy, Charlie Pitts, John Jarrette, Bill Chadwell (alias Bill Stiles), and Matthew "Ace" Nelson

That's 12 extremely skilled outlaws in one gang...  :cool:

Peralta said:
Eaglebucky said:

I even think about making the James-Younger gang completely accurate, so only manned with the historical members:

the Younger Brothers (Cole, Jim, John, and Bob), the James Brothers (the infamous Jesse James and his brother Frank), Clell Miller, Arthur McCoy, Charlie Pitts, John Jarrette, Bill Chadwell (alias Bill Stiles), and Matthew "Ace" Nelson

Toss em at level 45, mark them as cavalry so they get the cavalry map boost to keep away from bigger parties, but keep them off horses so they don't suck when using their guns. And give them unique, impossible to loot pistols that do more damage, have more accuracy, and faster reload time (To reflect their skill)

DamienZharkoff said:
Peralta said:
Eaglebucky said:

Toss em at level 45, mark them as cavalry so they get the cavalry map boost to keep away from bigger parties, but keep them off horses so they don't suck when using their guns. And give them unique, impossible to loot pistols that do more damage, have more accuracy, and faster reload time (To reflect their skill)

Making them nothing more than a source of frustration...
They would have horses, and of course be fast on the map, but at some point, the player should be able to win...

Peralta said:
DamienZharkoff said:
Peralta said:
Eaglebucky said:

Making them nothing more than a source of frustration...
They would have horses, and of course be fast on the map, but at some point, the player should be able to win...
*points to the fact no one but archers can hit ANYTHING while on a horse AI wise*

And you can win, try using strategy instead of charging them headon like an idiot :/ I can take on 64 Outlaws on my own, you can't take on 12 fine gunmen on your own?

It's what you call "fine"...

The guys you described aren't "fine", they're almost untouchable...

With their high skills and unique firearms, they can shoot you in the blink of an eye.
If you take some guys with you, they get out of there because for some reason, THEN they have horses...

Part of the 'modding game' is playing it consequently: you have to make decisions, like horses: yes or no?

Peralta said:
It's what you call "fine"...

The guys you described aren't "fine", they're almost untouchable...

With their high skills and unique firearms, they can shoot you in the blink of an eye.
If you take some guys with you, they get out of there because for some reason, THEN they have horses...

Part of the 'modding game' is playing it consequently: you have to make decisions, like horses: yes or no?
Seeing as no one but horse archers, thanks to M&B's limited engine, in this mod can hit something while on horseback. Giving them horses in battle would lead to them getting utterly raped because they wouldn't hit jack ****. And I don't see how they would decimate you with pistols that have 99 accuracy compared to most rifles (Repeaters at that) 95-98. In the AIs hands at the moment they still can't hit what the hell they shoot at most of the time.

Why can't you pretend they get off their horses at the beginning of the battle (And give them their own special encounter area, such as a small hilled valley area to fight at) so that they can maneuver easier and aim better, and hop on their horses when they book it? Sheesh.. kids these days... No imagination I tell ya.

Part of modding is working with the engine, instead of making a mod that looks visually perfect, but plays like ass (Fliggarty's Armor Mod for Morrowind anyone? Giant's Ultimate Mod II also for Morrowind anyone?)

Don't know about you guys, but my troops frequently get shot by mounted rifle and pistol wielding enemies...
And they would have rifles too, not all bandits were pure pistolwielding...

Peralta said:
Don't know about you guys, but my troops frequently get shot by mounted rifle and pistol wielding enemies...
And they would have rifles too, not all bandits were pure pistolwielding...
Are your troops on foot that get shot a lot? At full AI, my horseback guys just play a lil' hodown with eachother while the foot based riflemen and melee units tear them to shreads :/

Back
Top Bottom