Gamescom event is poorly setup and feels half arsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

So TW introduced 6 badges for the Gamescom event. Let's first state that this event is to create an influx of players, at least that is what I think that this event is made for.

So there are 6 badges:
- Manhunter badge, also corona badge as it spreads like a disease.
- Win 5 games badge
- 4 Badges for the most kills, one for each day, each day a different mode.

My take on this:
Nice that TW tries to create an event to attract more players and does something. 2 badges are really easy to get (I had them within 2 hours after midnight). The other 4 though are basically impossible to get and I have a problem with.
These 4 badges are a blind grind with no skill indicator. I have never heard of something like this succeeding in an event and being positively received by the community. Why? Because it is all or nothing.

I can play for 2 hours and get the 2 easy badges, or play for 15 hours and get the 2 easy badges. If I want to grind for the top badges I have no idea how long to grind, maybe the opponent has 1 kill more or 2000 more which makes it not worth it to grind. If I grind 2 hours longer than someone who is way better than me I can still get the badge hence it is no indicator of skill whatsoever.
If you go back to the basics this event is to attract more players, there is no difference in reward for winning 5 games or winning 100. My grinding will be useless if I get one less kill than nr1, could as well be nr 132392 instead of nr2 then.

If you look at other games which have events. For example, BTD6. There you have events that last a week, this event has a leaderboard with:
Price for nr 1, nr2 and nr3.
Price for top 10, top 50, top 100.
Price for top 1%, top 10%. All different prices.
If I'm top 10% I want to play more to get top 1% because then I get a better reward.

So what I want to say:
1. Don't create a blind grind, create a leaderboard to give people an overview of what the top actually looks like and what they have to do to get better rewards.
2. Have a gradient in rewards. It is impossible for me to get the 4 badges because I simply don't have the time, but I could've gotten 1% if I wanted but now there is no incentive to play.

You want more people to play and do this with events? Create properly thought out events and set them up properly.

I think you are looking at it from wrong perspective. I mean it is not a big competition, it is just a fun thing. A good competition testing players' skill would require much more than changing the format. It would require more on the game/server side too.

I think you are looking at it from wrong perspective. I mean it is not a big competition, it is just a fun thing. A good competition testing players' skill would require much more than changing the format. It would require more on the game/server side too.
I'm not only talking about skill and I'm looking at the perspective of attracting more players.

As a player, I don't see why I would play more due to this event, as 2 badges are really easy to get and there is no reward for playing more. I don't have the time to put in 12 hours to try to get that badge. But I would like to try to be in the top 1% or whatever is viable.

I don't see how multiple/better rewards would be hard to implement as you are already tracking the number of kills and based on that are distributing the rewards. So there is already a leaderboard server side.

I get that TW is short on time and have lots of stuff to do but I don't think cutting corners on an event like this is the way. The event is basically half done and delivering half work is not the path to success in my opinion.

It's funny having a portrait competition when the character faces don't even work in-game. Mine changes to a female face every game i enter even though my character is male.

Honestly you could host a duel tourney as well and give a badge. It's not that hard to set up you just have to create the badge ^^
It would be a fun event and TW would be at the center of it.

Yeah this never came off to me as if it was supposed to be this grandios event that will make Bannerlord the pinnacle of Esports or anything. It’s just a neat little community event to get some cool looking badges into circulation and give players a good reason to try out 1.5 and tune into some dev streams. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I hope they do more things like this in the future.

Yes, I definitely don't think any badge centered activities are meant for drawing in new crowds. Considering the game is, after all, still in EA, it really is a neat thing for the people who want it and not much more. Nothing wrong with that and I like it. The big and planned out in-game events can come later.

The real cream of the crop of Gamescom and any similar events is developer streams and more publicity from the developer side, which is exactly what we're getting.

Honestly you could host a duel tourney as well and give a badge. It's not that hard to set up you just have to create the badge ^^
It would be a fun event and TW would be at the center of it.

Then everybody would talk about how they don't care about it because combat isn't like Warband.

I haven't been part of meetings the badges came from but my personal opinion is that something that is quite far away from determining "best of X" player was a right choice. I understand that it s far from being a good event, and there are many reasons for why it ended up that way, but I still think it is fun. Obviously you would need to ask to people who competed. Perhaps we should do that after it ends.

Then everybody would talk about how they don't care about it because combat isn't like Warband.

I haven't been part of meetings the badges came from but my personal opinion is that something that is quite far away from determining "best of X" player was a right choice. I understand that it s far from being a good event, and there are many reasons for why it ended up that way, but I still think it is fun. Obviously you would need to ask to people who competed. Perhaps we should do that after it ends.
This current event (not the CTA one) is basically a desperate try to make players play the game all day in attempt to get a badge (that favorize EUs because of the timeline). Honestly, the event could have been better with a bit more. For example, you could put a badge for each region, because EUs will most likely win all the badges because it happens at their time.
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there is an event, and I love the fact that taleworlds finally acknowledged CTA's work officially, but my suggestion is for a future event (if taleworlds plan to make future events). From what I saw with the #s on instagram and twitter not much people participated in the event which is a shame because that's a fun event

This current event (not the CTA one) is basically a desperate try to make players play the game all day in attempt to get a badge (that favorize EUs because of the timeline). Honestly, the event could have been better with a bit more. For example, you could put a badge for each region, because EUs will most likely win all the badges because it happens at their time.
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there is an event, and I love the fact that taleworlds finally acknowledged CTA's work officially, but my suggestion is for a future event (if taleworlds plan to make future events). From what I saw with the #s on instagram and twitter not much people participated in the event which is a shame because that's a fun event
the servers were full? half of TW was playing on the siege during the stream

This current event (not the CTA one) is basically a desperate try to make players play the game all day in attempt to get a badge (that favorize EUs because of the timeline).

I still don't understand why you guys are thinking we are trying to achieve something with that badge other than it being an event. Why would we choose something 99% of players will immediately ignore because they think they can't do it to make people play the game. I honestly don't understand where this idea is coming from. Please enlighten me.

Y’all are looking wayyyyy to hard into this. It’s just a fun little event to give players something to do. Don’t try to create narratives or agendas where there really isn’t any.

Maybe I just have PTSD from playing Warband for 6 years without a single anything from the devs, but any community involvement is pretty sweet and shouldn’t really be scrutinized to the umph degree. They just had a wholesome little event to go alongside some very juicy gamescom material. The devs are people as well and this was a great excuse for them to get on some servers and have fun with a game series they’ve been laboring over for the majority of some people here’s lives.

Devs: Please do more fun things like this. It may not be the pinnacle of competitive gameplay, but it was still a great excuse to hop on today and play for awhile, even though I’m still having trouble with my controls being broken.

I appreciate the event and some extra badge variety is also quite nice.
I do agree that an extra leaderboard or something to see your current position in the daily competitions would have been nice to have, but it's honestly not too big of an issue. Maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom