Games you wish existed

Currently viewing this thread:

kevinflemming

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
I've always wanted a decent racing-style RPG.

1) Open-world / sandbox.
2) Huge map. Perhaps a small continent, or a world map with smaller areas that you could travel to. If you take your car, you have to use realistic transport methods, such as shipping via ferry/plane/train.
3) Get in and out of your car.
4) Extensive character creation system, allowing you to fully customise your appearance, skills and background. Possible moral or popularity system.
5) Work at various car-related places to earn money. This could be a fabricating workshop, or sales showroom, factory. Not all jobs might be legal.
6) A thin story throughout the game, based on your background and choices made during gameplay, but isn't overly essential to progress. Certain things might be locked and require some interaction with specific characters or reach a milestone.
7) Choice of career options, ranging from grease monkey to professional driver. No limit to what you want to do.
8 ) Various race events to attend. Underground street, track day, official sponsored races, professional tier races, show-offs and so on. All have various prizes, and potential career opportunities. Underground can only be found out by word-of-mouth and rumour. Professional requires sponsorship and certain skills.
9) Vast library of cars, after-market parts, modifications. Interior and exterior. Certain modifications might need personal skills, or the need to hire a professional at extra cost.
10) You can do everything yourself, eventually given enough time. Or hire specialists to work on your vehicles.

It's late, so can't really think properly anymore, but I think that gives a good idea of what sort of racing RPG I would love to see.

One can only dream, right? :ohdear:
 

kevinflemming

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
krik said:
That'd be really cool, like a mix of My Summer Car and Forza.
Yeah, that's sort of the idea. Perhaps with a little bit of Test Drive Unlimited thrown into the mix too. :wink: That was/is a great game, actually.
 

AreJohn

Duke
Best answers
0
'Rite bois.

Strategy game.
Open world.
Banished themed population & supply & demand economy.
Endlessly generated map.
Cossacks 2 style road system.
Multiplayer capable.
Option for varying political systems.
Class/caste system for citizens depending on politics.
Fashions set by preferences from higher ups.
Customisable religions.
Combat involves individuals merged into units with relevant buffs for varying types. Each individual costs one or more citizens from a family occupying a house ie banished.
Projectile combat involves actual cones/arcs of fire rather than straight up dice rolling.
Aesthetic quality of Stronghold HD.
Customisable look for your people.
Historical tech. (Preferably 17thC but can be flexible.)
Organised units perform accurate manouvres when certain uniformity in equipment/research is met.
Modability.

That's all I can think of now bois & traps, g'night.
 
Best answers
2
kevinflemming said:
I've always wanted a decent racing-style RPG.

1) Open-world / sandbox.
2) Huge map. Perhaps a small continent, or a world map with smaller areas that you could travel to. If you take your car, you have to use realistic transport methods, such as shipping via ferry/plane/train.
3) Get in and out of your car.
4) Extensive character creation system, allowing you to fully customise your appearance, skills and background. Possible moral or popularity system.
5) Work at various car-related places to earn money. This could be a fabricating workshop, or sales showroom, factory. Not all jobs might be legal.
6) A thin story throughout the game, based on your background and choices made during gameplay, but isn't overly essential to progress. Certain things might be locked and require some interaction with specific characters or reach a milestone.
7) Choice of career options, ranging from grease monkey to professional driver. No limit to what you want to do.
8 ) Various race events to attend. Underground street, track day, official sponsored races, professional tier races, show-offs and so on. All have various prizes, and potential career opportunities. Underground can only be found out by word-of-mouth and rumour. Professional requires sponsorship and certain skills.
9) Vast library of cars, after-market parts, modifications. Interior and exterior. Certain modifications might need personal skills, or the need to hire a professional at extra cost.
10) You can do everything yourself, eventually given enough time. Or hire specialists to work on your vehicles.

It's late, so can't really think properly anymore, but I think that gives a good idea of what sort of racing RPG I would love to see.

One can only dream, right? :ohdear:
I often daydream about playing a game like that. Too many racing games make you feel like a sentient car in a city with no civilians, and even just the ability to get out of the car would make a huge difference.
 

Scuba Steve

Master Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
kevinflemming said:
I've always wanted a decent racing-style RPG.

1) Open-world / sandbox.
2) Huge map. Perhaps a small continent, or a world map with smaller areas that you could travel to. If you take your car, you have to use realistic transport methods, such as shipping via ferry/plane/train.
3) Get in and out of your car.
4) Extensive character creation system, allowing you to fully customise your appearance, skills and background. Possible moral or popularity system.
5) Work at various car-related places to earn money. This could be a fabricating workshop, or sales showroom, factory. Not all jobs might be legal.
6) A thin story throughout the game, based on your background and choices made during gameplay, but isn't overly essential to progress. Certain things might be locked and require some interaction with specific characters or reach a milestone.
7) Choice of career options, ranging from grease monkey to professional driver. No limit to what you want to do.
8 ) Various race events to attend. Underground street, track day, official sponsored races, professional tier races, show-offs and so on. All have various prizes, and potential career opportunities. Underground can only be found out by word-of-mouth and rumour. Professional requires sponsorship and certain skills.
9) Vast library of cars, after-market parts, modifications. Interior and exterior. Certain modifications might need personal skills, or the need to hire a professional at extra cost.
10) You can do everything yourself, eventually given enough time. Or hire specialists to work on your vehicles.

It's late, so can't really think properly anymore, but I think that gives a good idea of what sort of racing RPG I would love to see.

One can only dream, right? :ohdear:
There was a game for the TurboGrafx 16 that had a similar premise to that. Not everything like you described, but somewhat similar. It's called Final Lap Twin, used to play it loads when I was younger. You could kind of describe it like playing Pokemon, but people challenge you to races instead, and you have to beat the champions at various race tracks that you travel to, and when you beat them they give you a part for your car.
 

kevinflemming

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
I often daydream...
...make a huge difference.
Agreed. This is what bores me with modern racers. You don't really feel a connection with the car. I know it's a game, but with the majority of RPGs you tend to become connected to your characters and other NPCs. I mean sure, Forza is a bloody good game series (my favourite, not including the Horizon spin-off, with NFS (the older ones, anyhow) coming in a close second place), but you still feel very little for the faceless mannequin sat in the driver's seat up front and it somewhat extends to the car itself. You might have a favourite car, which you really like. That's about as far as it goes most times, though.

An open-world racing RPG, where you play a character instead of car would be entirely refreshing and unique. I don't know of any games (that are solely racing-based) which have the ability to do something else other than just drive. Not even racers that are due out this year have anything remotely similar.

Scuba Steve said:
There was a...
...for your car.
It's crazy to think that a game from the 80's would be more similar to my idea, than any of the modern racing games available now. We have the technology to create this and other wonderful games, but instead continue to churn-out the same types year after year. It's part of the reason my interest has waned over the past few years, almost to a standstill. If it wasn't for the prospect that I can have fun with friends playing games, I'd probably just chuck in the towel altogether.
 
Best answers
2
Video games got into a rut after the shareholders got their hands on them. There was a lot of experimentation with orphaned genres in the 90s and early 2000s and some game types exist only in a couple of games from that period. But you can't market untested game genres to shareholders so publishers have zero interest in reviving them. Shares-based industries always tend to look for "winning formulas" and nowhere is that more obvious or intrusive than media.
 

BenKenobi

Duke
WBNW
Best answers
0
kevinflemming said:
BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
I often daydream...
...make a huge difference.
Agreed. This is what bores me with modern racers. You don't really feel a connection with the car. I know it's a game, but with the majority of RPGs you tend to become connected to your characters and other NPCs. I mean sure, Forza is a bloody good game series (my favourite, not including the Horizon spin-off, with NFS (the older ones, anyhow) coming in a close second place), but you still feel very little for the faceless mannequin sat in the driver's seat up front and it somewhat extends to the car itself. You might have a favourite car, which you really like. That's about as far as it goes most times, though.
I know it is not a racing game, but developpers should learn from Red Baron II.
 

kevinflemming

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
Video games got...
...intrusive than media.
Completely agree with that statement. Having played games since the late 80's, it's not hard to see the direction in which the AAA industry is taking. That's why these days, I tend to look more towards the Indie development market. That's how I found M&B: Warband (my housemate has been playing it for years) and many other great games, that I still tinker with from time-to-time even though I have very little enthusiasm to play overall.

BenKenobi said:
I know it is not a racing game, but developpers should learn from Red Baron II.
I've never heard of it, but I see that "features one of the only truly dynamic campaigns" is said about it. That goes to show how little innovation is actually used these days. That's crazy, when you think about it. The amount of outstanding things we can do with the current technology, and it's never truly used to it's full potential.

And people have the cheek to complain about mobile gaming, when at least they are somewhat limited to what can be done on the system they are using.

I would love to just make the games I want to play, but with that comes the passing of time. Something I feel like I'm wasting a little these days. I mean I'm grateful for the wonderful games that have really made my day, and are forever burned into memory. But I'm sad at the idea that I might not get to see games evolve to a point where they are actually different.

If I live to see something like what I wanted actually make an appearance, even if it's vaguely similar, I would be a happy chappy lol.
 

HoJu

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBVC
Best answers
0
The Illiad: The fighting game. A fighting game pitting Greek and Trojan heroes in bloody combat, with special attacks including divine interventions and brutal finishers taken from the gory descriptions in the Illiad itself.
 

Scuba Steve

Master Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
HoJu said:
The Illiad: The fighting game. A fighting game pitting Greek and Trojan heroes in bloody combat, with special attacks including divine interventions and brutal finishers taken from the gory descriptions in the Illiad itself.
There's something like that for the PS3 called Warriors: Legends of Troy. It's not exactly the same as how you describe (it plays like Dynasty Warriors though it's got surprisingly better AI), but it's quite fun.
 

Adorno

Bedroom Assassin
Duke
WBNWM&BVC
Best answers
0
A little mobile game where you throw things at a cat, who then catches it and plays around with it.
Level 2: You get more objects to throw: fruit, toys, pencils, plastic bottles etc.
Level 3: Now there are two cats.
Level 4: Now you can throw objects faster.

Sequel: Play sports with cats
 

Orion

Still Not Worthy
Global Moderator
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
0
Story-driven sword & sorcery X-COM-like. Darkest Dungeon is close in party mechanics, mission structure, and general theme, but I prefer the tactical dynamics of 3-space in X-COM. DOS1 & 2 are closer in that respect, but they don't have the punishing brutality of permadeath found in X-COM and their lack of a fairly linear mission structure makes them very prone to cheesing.
 

Vermillion_Hawk

Butthurt Bushmaster
Grandmaster Knight
WF&SWBVC
Best answers
0
Final Fantasy Tactics? Tactics Ogre? Don't get me wrong though, the one thing I want from modern gaming is a rediscovery of that particular Japanese isometric tactical RPG style.