In Progress Game wont start

Users who are viewing this thread

I honestly think it is not the developers' fault, they do care: look at all the good work they are doing, they released two patches already. Most likely why the game does not launch for you is the same as for me: some incompatibility with some file and/or some access blocked somewhere deep in your system which is quite hard to find.
Yes it is their fault. All you should have to do as a player is buy the game and install it on a system which meets the minimum requirements. It's the developers' job to make sure it runs on all systems beyond that. The whole point of minimum requirements is for the developers to explicitly ringfence the number of systems which can run the game and make everyone aware of that before they pay money for the game.

Edit: To those who blame devs for not including dependencies: stop. On the fresh windows install I installed Steam, installed the game, and all the dependencies did download along with the game.
Again you are wrong. They may have rectified this now but they weren't included on release day, which they should have been. The developers wouldn't have had to make posts telling everyone about the dependencies they needed to download and install if they'd just included them in the first place.

Now I am in I can say I'm enjoying the game and I've not encountered any further problems with it. I think TaleWorlds have made a good game, but that doesn't mean we can't criticise them when they make a mistake.

Now I am in I can say I'm enjoying the game and I've not encountered any further problems with it. I think TaleWorlds have made a good game, but that doesn't mean we can't criticise them when they make a mistake.

I did not say you cannot criticize, of course, you can.

Again you are wrong. They may have rectified this now but they weren't included on release day, which they should have been. The developers wouldn't have had to make posts telling everyone about the dependencies they needed to download and install if they'd just included them in the first place.

Maybe, not sure about that. I did not notice it installed when I installed the first time but I might have simply missed it. Them posting about dependencies might be them making sure you have those dependencies installed and steam did not mess up. Either way, this point does not matter now.

Yes it is their fault. All you should have to do as a player is buy the game and install it on a system which meets the minimum requirements. It's the developers' job to make sure it runs on all systems beyond that. The whole point of minimum requirements is for the developers to explicitly ringfence the number of systems which can run the game and make everyone aware of that before they pay money for the game.

I do not agree with that. Developers guarantee a game that will run on a system with the mentioned hardware. No one guarantees you that any software will work on your system if you have conflicting stuff installed or you have a modified the system itself, then it is your own problem. In fact, none software producer can guarantee compatibility with absolutely everything else. One can have so many things modified on any OS that anything can become incompatible.

By reinstalling my windows I did prove to myself that is was not my hardware, not my drivers, and not the game itself. Just simply some other program somehow interfered with, and/or blocked the process of the game.

I did not say you cannot criticize, of course, you can.

Maybe, not sure about that. I did not notice it installed when I installed the first time but I might have simply missed it. Them posting about dependencies might be them making sure you have those dependencies installed and steam did not mess up. Either way, this point does not matter now.

I do not agree with that. Developers guarantee a game that will run on a system with the mentioned hardware. No one guarantees you that any software will work on your system if you have conflicting stuff installed or you have a modified the system itself, then it is your own problem. In fact, none software producer can guarantee compatibility with absolutely everything else. One can have so many things modified on any OS that anything can become incompatible.

By reinstalling my windows I did prove to myself that is was not my hardware, not my drivers, and not the game itself. Just simply some other program somehow interfered with, and/or blocked the process of the game.

Come on man, it's the developers' fault, it can't be that so many people have the same problem, the "solution" can't be to reinstall the OS.
You are talking nonsense. How many games could not run because of Windows? be serious The fault lies with the developers, not the people's hardware or software. Think before speaking and suggesting to people to format their PC. Go enjoy the game and reinstall your operating system when you have a problem.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a better solution than reinstalling the OS. That is not the line I am willing to cross for any single video game.

Still not working. I understand issues surrounding early access but this is just mental, there's so many people who literally can't even open the game and it doesn't seem to be acknowledged as an issue. No response from devs, nothing on the known issues list. I've tried everything including redownloading the OS and nothing works.

Updated all drivers and updated windows and all C++ and .Net framework went into the event Viewer and got these messages

Faulting application name: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5e821a68
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.752, time stamp: 0x2023e189
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a859
Faulting process id: 0x46f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d606c6aedb7897
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: eba1beef-648a-4928-bc2a-052c109133e9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm on Win7x64 and had the same error as you.
Long story short, creating a new Windows user profile, rebooting and launching the game from this new profile helped me!!

Btw, before finding solution I had all required software reinstalled several times without any luck so I don't know if this 'fresh user profile' method will work for those who don't have the software (.net, vc_redist etc.) properly installed.
Looks like my kernelbase.dll was 'corrupted' ... Or my user profile... Anyway, I read somewhere unrelated to m&b that kernelbase.dll error indicates that your user profile is corrupted.

Similar problems, i hit play in the launcher and it shows v1.0.0 and it gives me a white screen and crash. I have 30+ hours from launch day also. All drivers are updated and all source programs are updated. Launching from exe does the same.

I'm looking for a better solution than reinstalling the OS. That is not the line I am willing to cross for any single video game.
That's exactly what you're going to have to do. I'm doing it right now. Back up your **** on another harddrive or with his https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/reinstall-windows-10-without-losing-data-4348.html

Do a clean install.

I get an issue where:It will say "Performing First time Startup step one of one". When I launch the game, at the time that message appears after the admin prompt Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Setup will launch and crash, which is when the message disappears. The reasoning? Well, my windows latest update is 3 years old and when trying to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 manually it fails consistently because of outdated files.

My windows won't upgrade, too many applications that may be causing the upgrade to fail. My last resort is to format my C drive and to do a fresh install. If that fixes my issue, I will make a post and you can individually trouble shoot your windows until you've exhausted all other options and diagnosis' to one last resort: a clean install.

I've waited for this game since I was 15-16 years old. I am nearly 24. I'd throw my money at a new fresh PC if I have to. I'd rather endure every game bug people are complaining about, then not being about to launch the game in the first place.

I will post here again to let you know how I go.

TW will have to fix the issues at some stage, but we're in the first week of early access. These potential user fixes don't fix the problems, they just skirt around them.

I've never had to refund a Steam game and I'm not about to, because I'm confident TW will get on top of it eventually. It's not always going to be a buggy early access game.

You shouldn't need to buy a new hard drive or reinstall your OS if your PC is otherwise working fine. Patience should do it.

That's exactly what you're going to have to do. I'm doing it right now. Back up your **** on another harddrive or with his https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/reinstall-windows-10-without-losing-data-4348.html

Do a clean install.

I get an issue where:It will say "Performing First time Startup step one of one". When I launch the game, at the time that message appears after the admin prompt Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Setup will launch and crash, which is when the message disappears. The reasoning? Well, my windows latest update is 3 years old and when trying to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 manually it fails consistently because of outdated files.

My windows won't upgrade, too many applications that may be causing the upgrade to fail. My last resort is to format my C drive and to do a fresh install. If that fixes my issue, I will make a post and you can individually trouble shoot your windows until you've exhausted all other options and diagnosis' to one last resort: a clean install.

I've waited for this game since I was 15-16 years old. I am nearly 24. I'd throw my money at a new fresh PC if I have to. I'd rather endure every game bug people are complaining about, then not being about to launch the game in the first place.

I will post here again to let you know how I go.
Unfortunately I have too much other software that I use which would be a nightmaire to re-setup. Good luck to you though, let me know if you get it to work.

TW will have to fix the issues at some stage, but we're in the first week of early access. These potential user fixes don't fix the problems, they just skirt around them.

I've never had to refund a Steam game and I'm not about to, because I'm confident TW will get on top of it eventually. It's not always going to be a buggy early access game.

You shouldn't need to buy a new hard drive or reinstall your OS if your PC is otherwise working fine. Patience should do it.

Some things can’t be fixed by developers, sometimes it’s on the consumer. I’m not even blaming the devs because I know for a fact that it is crashing because the Framework set up is failing to install (on my pc).

If this works for me then my 16-20 hours of free time spent trying to figure out a fix would be worth it, and that’s just one issue out of assumed hundreds of different causes and problems every PC is having- remember, PCs,aren’t a commercial product and PC devs have to configure a game to work for millions of

Unfortunately I have too much other software that I use which would be a nightmaire to re-setup. Good luck to you though, let me know if you get it to work.

A clean install has now allowed me to play the game.

The problem is one of the redists (most probably just the .net Framwork Setup) is crashing everytime you launch the game (because steam is trying to download it for you). Have task manager open, when you launch Bannerlord .net Framework 4.7.2 set up will be the most active process. You will notice that it will disappear and that's when the launcher on steam reverts back to a green play button.

What causes the crash?

When installing .net Framework 4.7.2 manually, I noticed that it failed to install because of my windows version, which was 1607 (over 3 years old). That's what the framwork program told me.

If you're using an outdated version of Windows 10 then you need to upgrade it to the latest version of windows (upgrading will not wipe your harddrives - look for relevant guides). You can find the latest updates on microsofts downloads for windows (v1909).

For me, upgrading wouldn't work because I just have so much junk that to go through every relevant program would take up too much time. I'm not a fan of working when I am on my weekends. So, I saved what I could and purged my harddrive clean, reformatted it for a fresh install of Windows and now framework is installed and the game works.

What does this tell us?

That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you. The best they can do is to give you a guide on how to fix it because this is a problem with software on your computer. Unforuntately, this is most likely your OS. It can't be the framework, because it is much newer than my old version of windows so it was entirely my fault.

Considering this has worked for me, I've found the only fix that is out, as well as the cause. Nobody is going to like it but it's either a clean install, upgrade or simply going through your apps and deleting anything that could be causing an issue with windows. I had 3 terabytes of software, so I went for the clean install. Worked a wonders,and I backed up everything I wanted to keep.

This maybe the only fix for it. But i recommend anyone to first try diagnosing a problem with Windows and clean

A clean install has now allowed me to play the game.

The problem is one of the redists (most probably just the .net Framwork Setup) is crashing everytime you launch the game (because steam is trying to download it for you). Have task manager open, when you launch Bannerlord .net Framework 4.7.2 set up will be the most active process. You will notice that it will disappear and that's when the launcher on steam reverts back to a green play button.

What causes the crash?

When installing .net Framework 4.7.2 manually, I noticed that it failed to install because of my windows version, which was 1607 (over 3 years old). That's what the framwork program told me.

If you're using an outdated version of Windows 10 then you need to upgrade it to the latest version of windows (upgrading will not wipe your harddrives - look for relevant guides). You can find the latest updates on microsofts downloads for windows (v1909).

For me, upgrading wouldn't work because I just have so much junk that to go through every relevant program would take up too much time. I'm not a fan of working when I am on my weekends. So, I saved what I could and purged my harddrive clean, reformatted it for a fresh install of Windows and now framework is installed and the game works.

What does this tell us?

That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you. The best they can do is to give you a guide on how to fix it because this is a problem with software on your computer. Unforuntately, this is most likely your OS. It can't be the framework, because it is much newer than my old version of windows so it was entirely my fault.

Considering this has worked for me, I've found the only fix that is out, as well as the cause. Nobody is going to like it but it's either a clean install, upgrade or simply going through your apps and deleting anything that could be causing an issue with windows. I had 3 terabytes of software, so I went for the clean install. Worked a wonders,and I backed up everything I wanted to keep.

This maybe the only fix for it. But i recommend anyone to first try diagnosing a problem with Windows and clean

How many games have you installed and had to reinstall your operating system to make them work? None true ?, just the bannerlod. why? Because normaly the developers take the necessary measures when they launch a game so that you don't have to format your pc. Stop defending developers, it is not normal that you have to reinstall your OS.

How many games have you installed and had to reinstall your operating system to make them work? None true ?, just the bannerlod. why? Because normaly the developers take the necessary measures when they launch a game so that you don't have to format your pc. Stop defending developers, it is not normal that you have to reinstall your OS.

Because it was an issue with my windows. My windows was out of date by 4 years. The Framework is not the problem, and they use a newer version of a framework. Doing a clean install might not be what you need to do. The framework itself (a MS program- not the devs) was telling me to update my windows.

I wrote a guide on how I fixed it as well as detailing what I did.

Games do not use the same files, so I don't get why that is important. If you really want the game to work, bite the bullet and trouble shoot issues on your computer. I accepted the fact that it was my fault the game wouldn't work and after doing a clean install I am now playing it. If you refuse then I can't help you update your windows or delete conflicting files, and neither can the developers. No developer can.

Read the guide, or don't. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...me-set-up-1-of-1-crash-guide-to-a-fix.404807/

I think I've found a fix if you are getting the system reflection error on Windows 10 and have followed the steps, installed .net etc etc. I had .net installed, but it was not enabled for some arcane flipping reason. Press start > windows features > turn windows features on and off > make sure that .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 advanced services are both checked. Expand the entry for 4.8 and also check that the ASP.NET 4.8 is checked, allow windows to download and install, and hopefully it will fix the issue as it did for me.

I
But it wasn't. Stop excusing the developers for their mistakes and actually think about this. When every game except one works just fine on your system, the problem is not with you.

lol Dude I’m not **** riding the devs. If it was an issue on their end I wouldn’t of fixed it and waited for a patch. I think I know my PC more than anybody else so take it or leave it, but what I did worked and now I am playing the game, and you’re placing blame on the developers for no reason other than to reee the devs when I just said my Windows was an outdated mess.

if I’m not to blame, then I should be complaining to Microsoft because their update refused to install..

For the records, I'm also having "[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException" issue. I have been dealing with this for days, tried all of the potential solutions and didn't worked. Is that what we waited for?

For the records, I'm also having "[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException" issue. I have been dealing with this for days, tried all of the potential solutions and didn't worked. Is that what we waited for?

Did you try the fix I posted a few comments above? (It might not necessarily be the exact same issue, but this particular error is *definitely* an issue with your .NET install, not the game, waiting for devs to fix it is fruitless)

Back
Top Bottom