In Progress Game with current update is unplayable. Lags and stutter nonstop

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.9
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: Half a year ago i could play the game with minimal lags and stutter and only after about 2 to 3 hours the game would crash. I stopped playing because the crashes got annoying and i wanted to wait for a more stable version.
Now with the current update the game is literally unplayable for me even on the lowest settings. Everything lags and stutters and is beyond funny anymore. If i manage to get through all the lags and stutter from menu to menu or on the world map i STRANGELY have no issues inside a battle on a field.

No clue why but the current patch ruined the game for me. Game doesn't crash but it is unplayable or enjoyable. And i can switch the graphic setting literally up and down however i like it makes 0 difference. Maxed out lags, stutters and fps drops the same way as lowest graphic or performance options.

So basically i can run almost everything on max setting on my PC without problems but the moment i touch the current build of Bannerlords it all goes down south. Someone told me a reinstall could fix the issue. But unless someone proofs to me that this would solve my issue i wont download 50GB again and waste half a day to only see that it didn't fix anything.

Should i roll back to an older version? Cause to tell you the truth i don't know which version of the game was stable for me anymore.

How to Reproduce: Start the game
Have you used cheats and if so which: Nope
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
GPU Driver Version: 466.11
CPU: I7 7700K Octa 4,2 GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE (MS - 7A72)
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): HDD 3 TB
Do you by any chance are using the new Resizable BAR technology?
Because im using an RTX 2080 Ti and my game runs pretty damn good. But the 2000 Series don't have support for that, so i'm just wondering if it's about that, because the new drivers are mostly about that and DLSS improvement to some specific games.

For anyone who don't know what i'm talking about i will leave the link here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Would be nice to know if DragaXZ also has a 3000 Series.... and no i don't have the latest GPU driver, there is no improvements that justifies yet.

Do you by any chance are using the new Resizable BAR technology?
Because im using an RTX 2080 Ti and my game runs pretty damn good. But the 2000 Series don't have support for that, so i'm just wondering if it's about that, because the new drivers are mostly about that and DLSS improvement to some specific games.

For anyone who don't know what i'm talking about i will leave the link here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Would be nice to know if DragaXZ also has a 3000 Series.... and no i don't have the latest GPU driver, there is no improvements that justifies yet.

To my understanding thats for almost brand new generation of chipsets, motherboards and graphic cards.

My motherboard would be compatible but not my CPU nor my Graphic card. So i am pretty sure non of that applies to me.

On the other hand you don't really know what kind of ****ed up stuff you install with new graphic drivers. So maybe that butchered something but not sure atm. I mean everything else is working just fine.

Thanks for the insight though. If i start upgrading my rig i will look into this stuff a bit more because it sounds awesome on paper for future games :smile:

To my understanding thats for almost brand new generation of chipsets, motherboards and graphic cards.

My motherboard would be compatible but not my CPU nor my Graphic card. So i am pretty sure non of that applies to me.

On the other hand you don't really know what kind of ****ed up stuff you install with new graphic drivers. So maybe that butchered something but not sure atm. I mean everything else is working just fine.

Thanks for the insight though. If i start upgrading my rig i will look into this stuff a bit more because it sounds awesome on paper for future games :smile:
Indeed, any extra boost is always welcomed, although in this case for Nvidia has a lot to tweak since it's pretty new on the Nvidia side. AMD is a little more stable but their drivers are pretty much broken as per usual so...

back to the problem in question, if you have the latest driver you can always try another one. I'm using the 461.92, but just make sure when you uninstall use the DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller on guru3d.com ) because with this free software it removes any lingering files left behind that the official uninstaller doesn't remove, it's also well known that after X number of driver upgrades the % of starting to have problems is bigger. It's just a tip, if you are comfortable doing this you should do it (even if doesn't fix you will have a clean driver background ).

I have the same problem with OP and created a support ticket for it with telemetry data included:

Devs said they got the necessary information so I hope it turns out good.
Any news on what the issue was in your case?

Cause i have a feeling after reading a few things over google that it is either the game not spliting the work through the multi cores or that the game for some strange reason does not take enough RAM to work properly. Why that is i have no clue but alot of people who know way more then i do seem to have found out that the game kinda stops demanding resources avaliable.

Any news on what the issue was in your case?

Cause i have a feeling after reading a few things over google that it is either the game not spliting the work through the multi cores or that the game for some strange reason does not take enough RAM to work properly. Why that is i have no clue but alot of people who know way more then i do seem to have found out that the game kinda stops demanding resources avaliable.
Unfortunately no news yet as no patch has been released since then. I will try the game out and record it again when the next patch is released.

Most people on forums probably play the game on SSD so they don't notice the issues.

I don't have any idea on RAM usage but lately many more people have started to experience issues. It is funny they keep posting performance increases in patch notes.

For me however, currently (1.5.9 main), even the world map lags when scrolling by mouse so it is totally unplayable. I aim to report all these issues one by one.

Unfortunately no news yet as no patch has been released since then. I will try the game out and record it again when the next patch is released.

Most people on forums probably play the game on SSD so they don't notice the issues.

I don't have any idea on RAM usage but lately many more people have started to experience issues. It is funny they keep posting performance increases in patch notes.

For me however, currently (1.5.9 main), even the world map lags when scrolling by mouse so it is totally unplayable. I aim to report all these issues one by one.

Same issue with the world map but i can at least wait a few seconds and it gets better but not for long. Also when i get into down to walk around it starts with lags, stutter and turns into a diashow everytime i turn the camera.

But i do not get what the SSD would do differently. Aside from being faster there is not much difference. And that can#t be the issue as AC Valhalla runs smooth like a charm.
My guess is that its either a CPU or RAM issue. But to what extend i can not say.

it's a disk usage issue, at least the menu lag, almost everyone who complained about this has the game installed on an HDD, it's just borderline unplayable on an HDD.
the more you play, the worse it gets too - my post-battle prisoner menu takes 10-15 seconds to load fully and it can be terrifying because every armour piece or helmet that doesn't hide your character's body (like khuzait starting armour) causes your character's eyeballs and mouth to load first, then it takes a few seconds to actually load the rest of the body...

I digress but as soon as I moved the game to my SSD it reduced this loading time by like 90% so what else could be the issue?
also it's worth mentioning that I don't remember it being this bad at launch, all my menus loaded very quickly until late game.
oh, and it doesn't affect battles at all, at least with texture streaming budget on very high, they run at an almost perfect 60 fps (except for sieges, but that's on my CPU and AI bugs).

i replayed a warband mod recently and i miss those instant menus w/ hdd :sad:

SSD only affects loading screens, it doesn't give you more fps xD.

So i took some liberties to see how Bannerlord is using my PC, MAX settings at 2560x1440p with Battle Size at max 1000 units. Get your own conclusions.
I usually play with Nox emulator on my second monitor and Firefox with 504 tabs on the background (i will post screenshot so you don't think im lying xD )

2wTcu9g.png

So let's get down to the test, first is campaign map: ( my CPU ranges from 40 to 67 % )

cPXpsuB.jpg

bw94Fn6.png

Next is on the battle with 908 units, so they were all present due to my settings: ( FPS lowest i had 72, average of 112, max of 155 )

SGMfiTb.jpg

HWCL87G.png

( it says it was using 100% of my CPU my PC is still very responsive if i need to do something on my second monitor )
I already did battles of 3500 units and the performance is the same (might get a little less FPS due to the bodies on the ground, but never seen less that 60 on these battles ), i do see occasional FPS drops on castle sieges, pretty sure it's because it's not yet fully optimized.

Computer Specs:
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME 11G
GPU Driver: 27.21.14.6192 (Nvidia 461.92) DCH
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K@ 4.7Ghz
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z390 Elite
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Samsung 860 QVO SSD 2TB SATA 3 V-NAND MLC (this is where it is installed)

it's a disk usage issue, at least the menu lag, almost everyone who complained about this has the game installed on an HDD, it's just borderline unplayable on an HDD.
the more you play, the worse it gets too - my post-battle prisoner menu takes 10-15 seconds to load fully and it can be terrifying because every armour piece or helmet that doesn't hide your character's body (like khuzait starting armour) causes your character's eyeballs and mouth to load first, then it takes a few seconds to actually load the rest of the body...

I digress but as soon as I moved the game to my SSD it reduced this loading time by like 90% so what else could be the issue?
also it's worth mentioning that I don't remember it being this bad at launch, all my menus loaded very quickly until late game.
oh, and it doesn't affect battles at all, at least with texture streaming budget on very high, they run at an almost perfect 60 fps (except for sieges, but that's on my CPU and AI bugs).

Exactly my issue, the only difference being that the game lags even from the start. With fresh character, with new campaign. No need to start the game, even the menus lag. I have included these details in my ticket as well.

As you said, character body textures load one by one when inventory opens. Item icons always take some time to load.

I once tried to move the game to SSD as well. Yes, the performance got improved, but was still worse then how it was used to be before.

Yes at launch the game run way better than it does today. But the issue being the HDD and it would run better on an SSD can not be an argument for any dev. Cause an SSD is as for now inferiot to a HDD and the HDD is cheaper as well while also living longer if you put both under some pressure.

I have 3 outlived SSD here lying around because they literally broke down under hard pressure. The HDD i am using right now is the one that was build in to this pc from the very beginning. Still working, still no issues and still going strong. I never understood the hype about SSD anyway. They break fast, give in under pressure and worst of them all if you need them in 3 or above TB they ain't cheap either. Piece of crap if you ask me. Especially if i play AC Valhalla on max settings i have 0 issues. But the moment i start Bannerlords its a slideshow. Absolutely ridiculous considering the fact that this patch as many others should have made the game more stable on either HDD or SSD.

SSD only affects loading screens, it doesn't give you more fps xD.

So i took some liberties to see how Bannerlord is using my PC, MAX settings at 2560x1440p with Battle Size at max 1000 units. Get your own conclusions.
I usually play with Nox emulator on my second monitor and Firefox with 504 tabs on the background (i will post screenshot so you don't think im lying xD )

So let's get down to the test, first is campaign map: ( my CPU ranges from 40 to 67 % )

bw94Fn6.png

Next is on the battle with 908 units, so they were all present due to my settings: ( FPS lowest i had 72, average of 112, max of 155 )

HWCL87G.png

( it says it was using 100% of my CPU my PC is still very responsive if i need to do something on my second monitor )
I already did battles of 3500 units and the performance is the same (might get a little less FPS due to the bodies on the ground, but never seen less that 60 on these battles ), i do see occasional FPS drops on castle sieges, pretty sure it's because it's not yet fully optimized.

Computer Specs:
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME 11G
GPU Driver: 27.21.14.6192 (Nvidia 461.92) DCH
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K@ 4.7Ghz
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z390 Elite
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Samsung 860 QVO SSD 2TB SATA 3 V-NAND MLC (this is where it is installed)

As i keep saying. The game either stops using resources avaliable or keeps demanding resources it doesnt really need. I mean what is the purpose of using quad or octacore CPU to the brim while you only take 1,5 GB of RAM? That doesn't make any sense.

And i highly doubt that is accurate as well. Cause you can play the game and see in the task manager it uses around 100% of the CPU and still open tons of browser windows and twitch or netflix with 0 issues. That should not be possible if the CPU usage is accurate.

I don't know. This game seems more and more like a huge cluster**** of a mess.

I have some occasional lag, but usually its not too bad. Last night was a lot worse than usual. I don't restart my comp very often, but tried that also and it didn't seem to help. I found it particularly bad on the 'Party' screen for some reason. I have to wait about 15-20 seconds before the screen is done loading to actually do something on it. This is just to check it or post-battle. Either way its bad. While I can wait on the party screen, the battle scenes (simulations) were also bad and that made it much more difficult at times to time sword swings and such. I haven't signed in tonight, but will let you know later whether its still an issue tonight. I've been in 1.5.9, with no mods for at least a couple weeks without any major issues, but last night was bad. Edit: I checked tonight and its just as bad. I timed the load time pf the party screen and it was 33 seconds. Currently 41-42% CPU usage & 1.6 MB memory. Last night was over 50% CPU usage. I forgot to mention that everytime a caravan goes into a town I can see on my campaign map there's a momentary lag spike. I haven't had that issue prior to last night.

Last edited:
I have some occasional lag, but usually its not too bad. Last night was a lot worse than usual. I don't restart my comp very often, but tried that also and it didn't seem to help. I found it particularly bad on the 'Party' screen for some reason. I have to wait about 15-20 seconds before the screen is done loading to actually do something on it. This is just to check it or post-battle. Either way its bad. While I can wait on the party screen, the battle scenes (simulations) were also bad and that made it much more difficult at times to time sword swings and such. I haven't signed in tonight, but will let you know later whether its still an issue tonight. I've been in 1.5.9, with no mods for at least a couple weeks without any major issues, but last night was bad. Edit: I checked tonight and its just as bad. I timed the load time pf the party screen and it was 33 seconds. Currently 41-42% CPU usage & 1.6 MB memory. Last night was over 50% CPU usage. I forgot to mention that everytime a caravan goes into a town I can see on my campaign map there's a momentary lag spike. I haven't had that issue prior to last night.

Welcome to the club. I have no clue what causes your problem but i hope it can get fixed cause i have given up waiting for someone to help me fix my problem.

Good luck to you.

I'm hoping the 4/29 hotfix I downloaded was corrupted. I crashed 3 straight times on the same battle. I've uninstalled and am reinstalling and we'll see if that fixes it. If not, I may be done for a while. On a related note, I wasn't asked if I wanted to keep my save game files, so I suspect I lost the game I've been playing for a few weeks. We'll see.

I'm hoping the 4/29 hotfix I downloaded was corrupted. I crashed 3 straight times on the same battle. I've uninstalled and am reinstalling and we'll see if that fixes it. If not, I may be done for a while. On a related note, I wasn't asked if I wanted to keep my save game files, so I suspect I lost the game I've been playing for a few weeks. We'll see.

Hotfix has made it a bit better but not really that much that you could play.

Your save files are located here C:\Users\YOUR USER\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

Save games still there, but giving up on that game. Starting a new one, which still has lag issues, but not as bad; probably because its early in the game. Hopefully they fix this in the next 2 or 3 days and I'll be able to continue this game .If I get farther along and it starts crashing again I'm definitely done for a while.

It is kinda amazing how long it takes for someone official to tell me how to fix these problems or to simply tell me at the current time there is no fix for me avaliable. Makes you wonder.......

Back
Top Bottom