Version number
e1.6.0
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Dump identifier (optional)
no crash dump
Summary: Game stops responding during the big and long battles. I think it is related to some amount of projectiles flying into the sky.
I noticed long ago (since 1.6.0 release) that almost every big battle where i had some companions with self-made repeating crossbows with 300-500 m/s missile speeds, finishes in the middle of action by endless freeze leading to alt+f4 and afterwards closing mblauncher via task manager. Also i noticed that missile speed is no longer capped at ~500m/s as it was in 1.5.10. Anyway, I hoped this bug will be fixed in no time, and reverted back to 1.5.10 where it did not exist. Few days ago I upgraded the game to 1.6.0 and started investigation.
How to Reproduce: I kinda believed that it can be reproduced by just long battle with khergits which inevitably ends like described. But to get there really fast, one should make a copy of some crossbow or modify existing one in weapons.xml so that ammo_limit is set to 100+. Preferably increase all speed stats of this crossbow. Bolts quiver can also be extended accordingly. Then just shoot repeatedly in the sky, preferably being mounted and riding. Sometimes i got the freeze in 10 shots, sometimes in 200, depending on the missile speed and god knows what.
Have you used cheats and if so which: What is described above is a big stupid cheat, you might say. Well, let me tell just 2 things.
1st. To discover which missile speed is safe, i tried "normal" arrow/bolt speeds. I reproduced this crash even at 70 m/s missiles. This is lower than any crossbow and high tier bows.
2nd. In few long battles (with more than 1000ppl) I forbade companions to shoot, and didnt shoot myself. Still got the crash.
I have a weird theory that the ceiling of the map somehow remembers all the shots reached it, and many "normal" missiles can reach it. If the battle is long, archers are many, surface is steep, you should see this without any mods/cheats.
Scene Name (if related):any i tried so far. I reproduced this in custom battle by adding repeating crossbow+bolts to some hero there...
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU:1660 super
GPU Driver Version:466.77
CPU:Ryzen7 3800X
RAM: 16Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): 256Gb SSD for OS + 1Tb SSD for games

Last edited:
Summary: Game stops responding during the big and long battles. I think it is related to some amount of projectiles flying into the sky.
I noticed long ago (since 1.6.0 release) that almost every big battle where i had some companions with self-made repeating crossbows with 300-500 m/s missile speeds, finishes in the middle of action by endless freeze leading to alt+f4 and afterwards closing mblauncher via task manager. Also i noticed that missile speed is no longer capped at ~500m/s as it was in 1.5.10. Anyway, I hoped this bug will be fixed in no time, and reverted back to 1.5.10 where it did not exist. Few days ago I upgraded the game to 1.6.0 and started investigation.
How to Reproduce: I kinda believed that it can be reproduced by just long battle with khergits which inevitably ends like described. But to get there really fast, one should make a copy of some crossbow or modify existing one in weapons.xml so that ammo_limit is set to 100+. Preferably increase all speed stats of this crossbow. Bolts quiver can also be extended accordingly. Then just shoot repeatedly in the sky, preferably being mounted and riding. Sometimes i got the freeze in 10 shots, sometimes in 200, depending on the missile speed and god knows what.
Have you used cheats and if so which: What is described above is a big stupid cheat, you might say. Well, let me tell just 2 things.
1st. To discover which missile speed is safe, i tried "normal" arrow/bolt speeds. I reproduced this crash even at 70 m/s missiles. This is lower than any crossbow and high tier bows.
2nd. In few long battles (with more than 1000ppl) I forbade companions to shoot, and didnt shoot myself. Still got the crash.
I have a weird theory that the ceiling of the map somehow remembers all the shots reached it, and many "normal" missiles can reach it. If the battle is long, archers are many, surface is steep, you should see this without any mods/cheats.
Scene Name (if related):any i tried so far. I reproduced this in custom battle by adding repeating crossbow+bolts to some hero there...
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU:1660 super
GPU Driver Version:466.77
CPU:Ryzen7 3800X
RAM: 16Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): 256Gb SSD for OS + 1Tb SSD for games
Hello! Have you tried disabling mods?

Crashed again, not a single bolt from me/companions. Just melee, us lords... 1k empire vs. 1k aserai. Freeze after maybe 5 minutes. Now i dont really know if it is anyhow related to missiles. Maybe my shoot in the sky trick had nothing to do with these crashes, maybe it simply causes some other bug that freezes the game just like described above. But the game is unplayable atm. I cant finish big battle no matter what I do.

upgraded to 1.6.1
endless freeze is still easy to organize by shooting in the air, but...
the next long battle (1000+ ppl) lasted almost until an end, and instead of endless freeze sort of a crash produced a normal oldschool crash, here:

2021-08-03_00.05.12_0549367620043c4ebbf222a3547f35f0

1.6 is bad for me, how to get back to 1.5.1 please. Adding stuff and making other things not work is bad. Please fix and not unfix.
thanks.

reverted back to 1.5.10. again... tried shooting in the sky there to be sure. no crash.
reinstalled 1.6.1 from the scratch. no mods, cheats, nothing. started custom battle. there is a temun guy with good bow. 500 vs 500, temun shooting in the sky. 30 arrows is enough...

sorry for poor quality. when tried to record in fullscreen, the crash ruined the video.

So, as I expected, this is easy enough to reproduce without any mods or cheats. I believe, arrows sent in the sky by player are no different to arrows sent in the sky by troops. and we know how many there may be archers, and how they miss... What I really wonder is why I am alone to report this problem.

I just registered to confirm that I am experiencing the exact same issue as Th3o. Started happening since 1.6.0 - vanilla, absolutely no use of mods. Verified integrity of game cache as well - did not help.

Th3o, for me it has happened in melee only custom battles as well - could you give that a try? I managed to get this when playing 500 Empire Legionnaires vs 500 Sturgian Heavy Axeman on battle_terrain_006 (steppe). Has happened in campaign battles as well.

Very hard for me to say what the cause is. Initially I thought it was my PC until I saw this thread. What makes it even harder is that the game becomes completely unresponsive - I have to kill the process from Task Manager. So I can't send a crash report either.

My PC Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: AMD 6800XT
RAM: 32GB

Game is installed on a high-end NVME SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB)

Last edited:
Th3o, for me it has happened in melee only custom battles as well - could you give that a try?
Not really, I am back at 1.5.10 and i wont try any 1.6.x unless this is fixed. You see, if it happens in melee, I have no idea why. But then, is it melee, really? I believe all those troops have some throwing wepons, dont they? The point is: i dont know why it crashes like this, but i found a way to reproduce this crash in very short time. Repeating crossbow does it faster, but a bow does it too, as it happens. Maybe javelins as well? Maybe I'm wrong and it has nothing to do with missiles, maybe kicking a horse repeatedly will also cause this, or jumping from a rock, or any other action we might think of. So, unless we find another regularity which will certainly cause this crash, all we can do is wait for updates. Either of game or of this thread.

The telemetry build is now accessible.
We have a special performance build to check for these issues by collecting telemetry data. Can you switch to that build, test your performance and send us your data?
  1. Switch to “perf_test” from the Steam betas tab. You can find more info about it here.
  2. Open the game as usual and proceed to the stage where you are experiencing performance issues.
  3. Before the performance issues start, toggle the profiling tool by holding the “right shift” and pressing the “T” key.
  4. Record for 20-30 seconds, press the toggle key combination again. Please keep in mind that, the more you record, the more upload time it will require.
  5. Find the "test.tmcap" file in the "...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client" folder. You can find the "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord" folder inside Steam’s application library folder.
  6. Finally, upload the file to the "upload.taleworlds.com" site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. It is appreciated if you provide more information about your PC, what you were doing while the game was recording and your graphics configuration. If the data you are trying to upload is too big or the site fails to upload, you can use an alternative site to upload your data. If you choose to do that please left a reply to this thread with the download link.

uploaded the file.
custom battle
setup: me, temun and default set of khuzaits, 200ppl, vs arcor and default set of empire, ~250ppl, steppe 006 map
charge, waited for the battle to begin, at about 10-15% causalties started recording and shooting in the sky.
2nd or third arrow caused the freeze.
after ~5sec ctrl-alt-delete, end task.
end of story...

Back
Top Bottom