Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

FgF54Ld.gif

I don't so much mind what happens during the storyline just how it happens in the portrayal. The killing of Rhaegal and the capture and execution of Missandei will work well and drive the storyline forward (I'm guessing these in particular are towards an eventual 'madness' of Daenerys), but they were just not portrayed as well as they could have been. These are key plot points but I, even as a dilettante, think they fall far short of how such important moments in a storyline should be portrayed :cry:

Also, those ballista were OP. Please nerf in the next patch :grin:

PQWff.jpg

Where do I start? How convenient for Bronn that Jaime and Tyrion just happened to be in a house somewhere, where Bronn can appear and disappear at will! How convenient that Asha managed to retake the Iron Islands using the power of off-screen battles and her 20 good men! How did nobody see the Greyjoy fleet, especially Daenerys in the sky? What, is she just joyriding the damn things instead of doing recon? In what's effectively enemy territory? If the naval victory was so decisive, why didn't Euron's fleet blockade Dragonstone? I was legitimately confused for a moment there. Sansa tells Brienne, who tells Jaime that "they've kidnapped Missandei". Why is that relevant to any of these three, I don't know. Also, how convenient for Euron and co. that they managed to capture exactly Missandei, somehow, and not grab Tyrion or Varys. Were they just rescuing people at random? Why? (Also, it's Missandei, who grew up on a tropical island and should thus be a great swimmer, versus a dwarf and a fat guy, neither of which exercises a lot. Yeah?)

Also, have we gotten any information on the broader political situation recently? How's Jon supposed to bring the army over? Wasn't the Lannister army somewhere in the way? What's everyone else doing? Who is running the Stormlands, really? Wait, why is ser Davos, the notorious ex-smuggler with a ship on his crest riding ahead of the infantry, whereas the damn commander of the Unsullied is on a boat? (Sure, sure, the latter makes sense. Fatigue, faster transport, etc. Still though...)

All right, predictions time. Either Cersei goes Mad King and burns King's Landing down, or Dany does that. In either case, Dany wins to the lukewarm reception of everyone else, and pronounces herself queen. Jon isn't fine with that for some potentially semi-contrived reason (would be neat if she actually goes crazy and starts burning the city), and ultimately drives Longclaw through her heart, mirroring the Azor Ahai myth and fulfilling the prophecy, maybe a little too literally. Thus the ending is satisfying. fin.

Alternatively, at some point Arya shows up and kills both Gregor Clegane and Cersei and wins the game herself.

I guess Westeros will never invent gunpowder, having ballistas as powerful as XVIIIth century cannons. Also, how high can those aim? I doubt they can shoot to the rear, having the sail in the way and all that.
a dwarf and a fat guy, neither of which exercises a lot
And wearing rather heavy clothes, especially when soaked.
is she just joyriding the damn things instead of doing recon?
Or the very dragons themselves. Is not like they have seen one of them die by some magical javelin, or have been already shot by those OP ballistas, or fight to the death recently with their undead bro and having zombie-crawlers on them, which would keep them in alert mode for a long time.

This episode just screams "CUT DOWN THE CGI BUDGET". Sure, lets remove Ghost with a cheap excuse (and just have him standing alone) and kill one of the dragons. Done.
b91n619t9lw21.jpg
Wasn't the Lannister army somewhere in the way?
Uh? I don't remember any of the sort. They are just waiting, can't have them anywhere far from a dozen ballistas.

They just separated Jon from Dany so he can't be there to temper her and she can become Thanos. Kill as many as necessary! It's for their own good! I wonder if Jaime will kill Dany, having flashbacks of the Mad King wanting to burn everybody. But only after Cersei dies, of course.

Arvenski said:
Whine, whine, whine. With all the work (55 straight nights of filming) and God knows how much money they spent on 8x03 alone, do you honestly think they'd remake it? Not a chance. I get that this was the battle that's been hyped for more than 7 seasons now, and it's disappointing when something you've been excited about for a long time doesn't live up to the hype, but it was still just one episode. We've had many good episodes before this one, and we've still got 3 more to go before the show ends. So, stop watching salty reviews on YT, stop reading raging comments and working yourself up into a frenzy, and chill the **** out until the season is done.

Up next on "posts that have aged poorly"...

Lumos said:
How did nobody see the Greyjoy fleet, especially Daenerys in the sky? What, is she just joyriding the damn things instead of doing recon? In what's effectively enemy territory?
Good question. Rhaegal's death came as a shock, btw, at least to me. I'm sorry Missandei's dead; I liked her, but I think once I saw her on that wall I knew she wasn't likely to survive, so I had time to get used to the idea. Rhaegal's death was just out of nowhere. When they started the scene with the dragons flying in formation and Dany smiling atop Drogon, I assumed that yes, she was joyriding, and this scene was just showing how much she enjoys flying with the dragons and how glad she was to be south again. Then all of a sudden, boom, Rhaegal takes a bolt to the chest. I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe Dany was dreaming, even though I know GoT doesn't really do dream sequences. Then Rhaegal took two more bolts -including that nasty shot to the neck- and down he went.

On a different note, how the hell does Dany expect to win now, with what few men she has left, and her one surviving dragon unable to go anywhere where those ballistas will hit him? She got 8,000 Unsullied from Astapor all those seasons ago. Perhaps she liberated more when she took the rest of Slaver's Bay, but if not, then what began as 8,000 men is now less than that, thanks to all the fights they've been in since she first won them to her cause. There was all that ****ery in Slaver's Bay for a few seasons, and then the siege of Casterly Rock, said to be an impregnable fortress (which they did take, but the diversionary frontal assault must've cost them men). Suppose we assume that there were roughly 7,500 Unsullied at Winterfell before the battle last week, then. Grey Worm said half his forces are gone now, so that leaves like 3,700 Unsullied as the backbone of Dany's army. I saw some Dothraki in the teaser for next week, but you'd think she wouldn't have many of them left, since thousands of them went yolo at the start of last week's battle. 3,700 Unsullied, some Dothraki, and perhaps a few thousand tired Northmen and women, against 20,000 fresh troops from the Golden Company, plus what's left of the Lannister forces (which have had time to recover since the loot train battle last season), plus maybe even the Goldcloaks. Good luck, Dany.

I get the feeling this **** is going to get tense before it ends. Sansa's let out the secret of Jon Snow's parentage, and a few people are already gravitating towards supporting him for the throne. The real 'oh ****' moment was when Varys hinted about killing Dany to make way for Jon: if Varys tries to assassinate her, I'm betting he's going to die, but that might be what it takes to push Tyrion over the edge. I wonder if Tyrion will kill Dany. I can see parallels between him and Dany and Jaime and the Mad King. Jaime was loyal to his king and his vows, until the king tried to burn King's Landing, and Jaime felt he simply couldn't stay loyal any longer. Tyrion is loyal to Dany and believes in her, but if she tries to burn King's Landing, too, will he be able to stand aside?

Lumos said:
How did nobody see the Greyjoy fleet, especially Daenerys in the sky? What, is she just joyriding the damn things instead of doing recon? In what's effectively enemy territory?

According to Dumb and Dumber, Daenerys literally forgot Euron existed.

upuwqy1c8lw21.jpg

They really are just stupid smarmy hack ****s.

Did not like this episode much. The only good scenes seem to be ones where people are 'wasting screentime drinking wine', perhaps because that's the one place the writers still managed to keep anything together. All the major events henceforth are going to be yada-yada'd without any logic nor dedication, because there's not enough time. I don't understand why the writers chose not to have more episodes in what is the most action and event-packed season by far in Thrones' history. I mean I do – they ran out of source material – but for ****s sake it's annoying how low this show has fallen at times.
How can Tyrion gift away castles and make lords? At least we'll get to see whether Jaime kills Cersei or dies himself. I'm fearing the latter, but maybe he was being a **** to Brienne on purpose and has a nobler purpose.

Jock said:
How can Tyrion gift away castles and make lords?

Doubt he can, but if he said that to Bronn, that he can't give castles away like that. He would have died..

But seriously, what the **** was the point of keeping that wolf alive if you just cast him away after the battle?... Same goes for Tormund

Arvenski said:
Lumos said:
Good question. Rhaegal's death came as a shock, btw, at least to me. I'm sorry Missandei's dead; I liked her, but I think once I saw her on that wall I knew she wasn't likely to survive, so I had time to get used to the idea. Rhaegal's death was just out of nowhere. When they started the scene with the dragons flying in formation and Dany smiling atop Drogon, I assumed that yes, she was joyriding, and this scene was just showing how much she enjoys flying with the dragons and how glad she was to be south again. Then all of a sudden, boom, Rhaegal takes a bolt to the chest. I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe Dany was dreaming, even though I know GoT doesn't really do dream sequences. Then Rhaegal took two more bolts -including that nasty shot to the neck- and down he went.
Note that, whilst I'd completely forgotten it yesterday, the ballistae have already been introduced, and Dany knew of them, making the lack of any reconnaissance in enemy waters -- not even scout ships, really? -- even more stupid than I thought it was. You know, for a moment I also thought this has to be a dream sequence, simply because Rhaegal's death came out of nowhere.

I did like Missandei too, even though she hasn't been doing anything recently, but I found the contrivance far too silly. They could've just had one single throwaway line to help set the scene, like Euron gleefully telling Cersei that they've captured X of Dany's people and that they'll all be made to walk the plank or something.

At the end of the day though, **** it, we're 67% done. Let's see where this mess takes us.

Lord Brutus said:
How in Hell can she blunder into a ballista bolt from that high in the air?  Was she flying blindfolded?
+1  :facepalm: complete nonsense

It is said that there will be Dornian reinforcements.

It seems clear Benioff and Weiss have no actual skill (or perhaps care for) coming up with a decent storyline or solution themselves so everything henceforth will be a rushed ending which attempts to tie up as many loose ends as possible. There are no more excuses or explanations for the **** we've seen so far and I although I hoped the opposite, these last two seasons have severely tainted an otherwise epic series which helped bring medieval fantasy to a more mainstream audience.

The only remaining thing that has potential is cleganebowl.

Ghost is being sent north without a hug to because Jon will go North at the end and it's supposed to be some deep "his true nature thing".

Back
Top Bottom