Game of Thrones - HBO TV series based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire'

Users who are viewing this thread

Vieira said:
In the inside the episode,
they mentioned that the flinging off a cliff was to show how relentless they are, and how they only die from fire.

I didn't mind that bit, though. I quite liked it. I just wished there was more variation in the way the wights moved - I can understand there'd be fast ones. I just wish they'd shown slow ones, like in Season 1 too. I did notice they differed in appearance, just not in personality.
I actually thought that the cliff-jumping was pretty effective, but it did remind me a lot of World War Z. Not having it in would greatly lessen the similarities. Not that it's bad per se.

Vieira said:
Harkon Haakonson said:
Hmm, that's a very solid possibility, hadn't thought of it.

Well you kinda did, because the White Walkers bring Winter with them.  :razz:

I doubt it. Last time the White Walkers came it was eight thousand years before the Targaryen  dynasty and I'm quite sure there have been many winters after that.
It just needs to be a long special kind of winter for that to happen apparently. Or not, I don't know, all this winter stuff seems pretty vague. Or at least most people's understanding of it is.

That's because it's never been explained. All we have is stories from characters. Nobody really knows if the Walkers come with winter, or if winter comes with them. Doesn't mean every winter comes with them, though. They reside in the Land of Always Winter, so I assume winter follows them, or at least, the cold does - so maybe when they do come it's an unnatural winter.

I would say they obviously come with winter. If winter came with them, what would stop them from popping up any time they wanted. There might some other prerequisites on top of winter for their decision to go on the rampage. Hard to say what those might be. They don't appear to have any "economy" so overpopulation or depletion of resources doesn't seem to be an issue. Some superlong hibernating cycle also doesn't seem to be case, since you know they love the cold. I'm pretty sure some of the crazy ass calvinist puritans (the deluded morons that imprisoned Lena Headey) will explain it as a divine punishment for the collective sins and irreligiousness or some ****, but I would be really disappointed if that were the case. There might be some connection with the elves (the ones with whom the pretty cripple boy is hanging out now) or whatever they are dying out. Like maybe they have been some magic buffer state until now.

But then again, I didn't read the books. Who reads books in the 21st century?

Books are such a fad. What happened to the good old times when people were capable of artistically expressing themselves through painting deer and sabre-toothed cats on the cave walls???

kurczak said:
I would say they obviously come with winter. If winter came with them, what would stop them from popping up any time they wanted. There might some other prerequisites on top of winter for their decision to go on the rampage. Hard to say what those might be. They don't appear to have any "economy" so overpopulation or depletion of resources doesn't seem to be an issue. Some superlong hibernating cycle also doesn't seem to be case, since you know they love the cold. I'm pretty sure some of the crazy ass calvinist puritans (the deluded morons that imprisoned Lena Headey) will explain it as a divine punishment for the collective sins and irreligiousness or some ****, but I would be really disappointed if that were the case. There might be some connection with the elves (the ones with whom the pretty cripple boy is hanging out now) or whatever they are dying out. Like maybe they have been some magic buffer state until now.

Well, the lack of Dragons did certainly empty the magic bufferm, but I'm not sure why they went away for so long. Maybe it was a numbers thing? As a book reader, I am also unsure. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

As for mention of Bran, that is a very curious situation. I wonder who's side Bran will be on when it finally comes down to Ice/Fire, and whether that will be a good or bad side.

Cyborg Eastern European said:
And is Ice good? Is Fire good?

Cyborg Eastern European said:
I kinda suspect the sides of Ice and Fire will probably just be the sides of Ice and Fire.

I didn't think you meant alignment wise.  :lol:

I mean, on one hand you have the Fire god, R'hlorr, and you have the Ice god, The Great Other. And I assume they want to destroy each other. But I'm not sure what the overall motives are. Because I mean, it's clear that many of our favourite characters will be on opposite sides, so I kinda curious how that is going to go.

Also, is the twist that they are both the same god, both the God of Death? And is that why Arya's chapters are important especially regarding the Many Faced God (ie God of Death)? I dunno. I need to do work and stop thinking about it.  :lol:

Scorpia said:
Now I get it! Fire being the Fire priest fellas, and ice being the White Walkers. Is this gonna turn into some Last Airbender fight?
Was that **** not obvious from the first book/season? :razz:

At least I'm pretty sure both the white walkers and Melisandre were introduced in the first book and season.

Back
Top Bottom